Leeds to Scarborough Saturday September 24: The Yorkshire Adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Put me down as a probable, Nicky. I could get the train from Littleborough with bike and also with @ColinJ who would get on at Todmorden as there are early am trains on Saturdays (but not Sundays).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
...reservations
...our tribe
I'm sensing a theme here Nicky.
Let's hope the train service isn't Apache one
546277de5d9e1ee8a6ffbb3e14172bb6.jpg
Nah, the train companies are definitely cowboy outfits ....

mike3121

So if you took only one for the team, who did you take the other 10 pints for?

10? and the rest

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Put me down as a probable, Nicky. I could get the train from Littleborough with bike and also with @ColinJ who would get on at Todmorden as there are early am trains on Saturdays (but not Sundays).

I will be getting on at Smithybridge and there will be a few on from Manchester, so i think its going to be a busy train

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I will be getting on at Smithybridge and there will be a few on from Manchester, so i think its going to be a busy train
For those of you who don't know ... there are 2 main railway stations in Manchester - Piccadilly and Victoria. They are some distance apart. There are lines to Leeds from both stations.

The line from Victoria comes through Rochdale, Smithy Bridge, Littleborough, Todmorden etc. DD, Littgull and I will be coming in on that line.

The train from Piccadilly is quicker and if you are coming in to Manchester by train there is a good chance that you will be coming in at Piccadilly.

So ... make sure that you choose the right station, No point in arriving in Manchester at one station and leaving for Leeds from the other!

GravityFighter

Über Member
All

My plan is to drive into the city centre (I live in South Leeds) and meet up with everyone there, then jump on a train back from S'Boro to Leeds. Not carbon-friendly, but if anyone else is heading in from Wakefield, South Leeds etc, I have a second bike carrier on my car and you'd be welcome to a lift in / back. Just give me a shout.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Holding off the full ride recce ATM until these NE winds subside. As soon as I'm free on a nice warm day with a decent SW I'll do the whole route and let you know how it's looking

Scarborough experts for suitable place for the evening social? It needs to be big enough to seat a group of, say, 15...serve good beers and ideally do reasonable food (on the basis that some participants always arrive after the chip shop has closed). We will be having fish and chips near Peasholm Park

OK....so as a number of people are interested in the ride it seems worthwhile putting a bit of effort into getting it off the ground.

Key is fixing a date. I think a Saturday works best. I'm completely flexible mid August to end September. I am aware of a Friday's tour in September and I wouldn't want to create a clash that would prevent some from giving this ride a try. So that means that Sep 10 and 17 are not great. Bank holiday weekend probably isn't good so choices are:

Aug 20
Sep 3
Sep 24
Oct 1

Appreciate any feedback re preferences and then I'll decide

Trains : Prices seem reasonable based on Advance tickets. Eg. London - Leeds (single) is £23. York - London is similar and Scarborough - York is about £8. Of course folk may prefer to come up to Manchester on the Friday, participate in a bit of carbohydrate loading and then travel Manchester - Leeds Saturday morning. That is a short, inexpensive journey

Accommodation : This is a bit more tricky. The Travelodge in Scarborough is expensive at weekends. Of course if folk book twin rooms and share it becomes sensible pricing. There are loads of B&Bs in the town so presumably one can be had for a reasonable price but it will need a bit of research to get something of reasonable quality.

I'll ping everyone who did the Llandudno ride that aren't posting on this thread in case they haven't seen the ride

@DiddlyDodds
@rich p
@doughnut
@mike3121
@theclaud
@BRounsley
@mythste
@YahudaMoon
@Katherine
@Leaway2
@Jaykun85
@Rickshaw Phil
@McWobble
@si_c
OK....so as a number of people are interested in the ride it seems worthwhile putting a bit of effort into getting it off the ground.

Key is fixing a date. I think a Saturday works best. I'm completely flexible mid August to end September. I am aware of a Friday's tour in September and I wouldn't want to create a clash that would prevent some from giving this ride a try. So that means that Sep 10 and 17 are not great. Bank holiday weekend probably isn't good so choices are:

Aug 20
Sep 3
Sep 24
Oct 1

Appreciate any feedback re preferences and then I'll decide

Trains : Prices seem reasonable based on Advance tickets. Eg. London - Leeds (single) is £23. York - London is similar and Scarborough - York is about £8. Of course folk may prefer to come up to Manchester on the Friday, participate in a bit of carbohydrate loading and then travel Manchester - Leeds Saturday morning. That is a short, inexpensive journey

Accommodation : This is a bit more tricky. The Travelodge in Scarborough is expensive at weekends. Of course if folk book twin rooms and share it becomes sensible pricing. There are loads of B&Bs in the town so presumably one can be had for a reasonable price but it will need a bit of research to get something of reasonable quality.

I'll ping everyone who did the Llandudno ride that aren't posting on this thread in case they haven't seen the ride

@DiddlyDodds
@rich p
@doughnut
@mike3121
@theclaud
@BRounsley
@mythste
@YahudaMoon
@Katherine
@Leaway2
@Jaykun85
@Rickshaw Phil
@McWobble
@si_c

Hi Nicky,

August unfortunately is no good for me but any of the other 3 dates are ok.

Top Bottom