Leeds.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4023698, member: 259"]Leeds' covered market is the largest in Europe by some accounts.[/QUOTE]

And not at it's best anymore.It is looking shabby at the moment.It needs a full overhaul.Sorry to say it went downhill after the fire.I know that was a long time ago,but breaking it up and putting fire walls in, has broken the open flow.It is very bitty now,us oldies can see it going downhill even more.

Norwich market is very nice: friendly atmosphere and does excellent bacon butties.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTap9qp6dvZfwW-Q0z7qFRa9xR8G-w-9Cf_mUatLivhMhLJJOOO-A.jpg

OP
OP
C

Crackle

They've got police horses too. That's good innit. I can't think of anything else to say. How do the rough guides manage.

[QUOTE 4023698, member: 259"]Leeds' covered market is the largest in Europe by some accounts.[/QUOTE]

other accounts might cite Riga - but a few sq m either way is irrelevant - IMHO Riga market is much more interesting - Not the dirtiest place in world either - although I suspect cycling in Leeds is easier

Cubist

Still wavin'
Huddersfield is kept scrupulously clean, with local authority prioritising street cleansing, graffiti removal and street scene maintenance. So much so that when I stray across them big 'ills into Oldham et al I am immediately aware of the amount of graffiti. Kirklees have been big exponents of Street Scene as a concept. If a place looks tidy and well kept, folk feel safer and more comfortable. The "broken window syndrome" is well known phenomenon. The sight of graffiti, boarded shop fronts and litter-strewn streets makes people think that no one is taking responsibility or "in charge", (as in if they can't get the little things right, then no one is in control.) It's approached on a partnership basis, with street and community rangers and wardens, PCSOs and Neighbourhood cops all working towards reporting and tackling the environment. The concept stretches to housing areas too, with a requirement for all social housing landlords to tackle unkempt gardens, and even house frontages where appropriate. The Streetscene Directorate is also linked to housing, so it all dovetails.
https://www.kirklees.gov.uk/you-kmc/yourCouncil/place.aspx
Streetscene and Housing
Assistant Director: Kim Brear

Provides a responsive, integrated street based service which results in attractive, vibrant towns and neighbourhoods and which contributes to economic competitiveness and success of communities and individuals.

• Highways (except transport planning, development control and car parks)
  • Streetscene:
    • Refuse collection
    • Waste disposal
    • Street cleaning
    • Centralised transport
    • Parks and grounds maintenance
  • Landscape architects
  • Streetscene Action Team (rangers and dog wardens)
  • Police community support officers
  • Bereavement services
  • Routine enforcement
Involving and engaging communities in the provision of high quality neighbourhoods and effective local services.

• Strategic Housing - lead on housing strategy development and implementation, including the Housing Solutions/Option Service and Adaptation Service
  • Management of the Housing Revenue Account and the relationship/performance management of Kirklees Neighbourhood Housing

Levo-Lon

Guru
Norwich market is very nice: friendly atmosphere and does excellent bacon butties.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTap9qp6dvZfwW-Q0z7qFRa9xR8G-w-9Cf_mUatLivhMhLJJOOO-A.jpg

That place made me feel sea sick,and i dont get sea sick..really plays hell with your perception of level..
we had a 2 day honymoon in Norwich lol..i know

Top Bottom