Leeds.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I live 13 mile from Leeds I have seen it change through the years, we used to stay on the bus & miss night school to sit in the basement of the Peel (anybody remember that pub) I have had some brilliant times in Leeds and some I would rather forget, but at the moment it's buzzing, we will be there Saturday a visit to the Duck and Drake my favourite Leeds pub will be included.

Last edited:

RichardB

Slightly retro
If Carlsberg did bitter it would.........oh hang on, they did, bought Tetleys out and ran it into the ground, gits

Say it ain't so! Haven't drunk Tetleys in years, but if it's now just the same industrially-produced effluent as the other products in Carlsberg's portfolio then I don't think I will bother.

we used to stay on the bus & miss night school to sit in the basement of the Peel (anybody remember that pub)

Yup, remember it well. One of the 'cooler' locations if I remember correctly. I once went into the Hayfield in Chapeltown, bought a pint, downed it and exited for a dare. I think I was in the building for 30 seconds and I have never so frightened in my life. I was 15-16 at the time, and I forgive myself on that basis.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Was in Leeds on Thursday for a mooch with Mrs SB. It rained a lot.

Compared to Liverpool and particularly Manchester it is a very spread out city centre. The market, indoor and outdoor is great though, even if it has declined, it hasn't died or homogenised like many others have and remains a proper market that keeps a far more traditional vibrancy and buzz than most. More power to it hanging in there.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Compared to Liverpool and particularly Manchester it is a very spread out city centre.
Really? I would have said the opposite is true. I used to get the bus to Vicar Lane and every shop and store you could have asked for was within 10 minutes' walk. I took a train to Manchester once (can't remember why) and was amazed at how far I had to walk for anything. I found Leeds centre very compact. 'Twas a while ago, thobut.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Really? I would have said the opposite is true. I used to get the bus to Vicar Lane and every shop and store you could have asked for was within 10 minutes' walk. I took a train to Manchester once (can't remember why) and was amazed at how far I had to walk for anything. I found Leeds centre very compact. 'Twas a while ago, thobut.
Retail wise everything is in the Arndale Centre or on Market Street that runs adjacent to it, you have Deansgate for some slightly posher stuff and the start of the boutique shops on one end, the Northern (boho) quarter at the other both off Market St and that's it. All within a very literal few minutes walk of both rail stations and the bus/metro stops within these environs. You can walk strwight from the industrial outskirt & university bit by Piccadilly Station through the dead centre of (2nd/3rd largest city in England) and be out the other side & into Salford in 10 minutes.
There's not an inch of space wasted

The satellite town nature of Manchester makes it look like urban sprawl but it is tiny in comparison to other city centres of comparable status around the country.

It takes me longer to negotiate central Bolton than central Manchester.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

This thread has been very useful. I didn't have much time yesterday between elbowing my way on and off trains and snoring between presentations but in the serious business of trying to advise son1 on his choices you can only go on the impressions you get. So Leeds felt nice but 'provincial' yesterday and Leeds Uni felt small but well formed. I know none of that is particularly accurate but when you've only got a day to look around, those kind of impressions stick, so I'm very glad to read everyone's input on Leeds, it kinda of broadens out a thin perception.

U

User169

I had friends who were students at Leeds U. Visited a few times and always had a good time, although didn't venture out much beyond Headingly and Hyde Park.

Could never quite get used to beer with a big gloopy load of froth on top: where's my pint, dude?!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

I'm going to pre-puree the squirrel meat with suitable ammunition for my squirrel gun.

@User14044 will be helping me.

A+Punt+Gun,+used+for+duck+hunting+but+were+banned+because+they+depleted+stocks+of+wild+fowl.jpg

DRM

Guru
Say it ain't so! Haven't drunk Tetleys in years, but if it's now just the same industrially-produced effluent as the other products in Carlsberg's portfolio then I don't think I will bother.

Yup, remember it well. One of the 'cooler' locations if I remember correctly. I once went into the Hayfield in Chapeltown, bought a pint, downed it and exited for a dare. I think I was in the building for 30 seconds and I have never so frightened in my life. I was 15-16 at the time, and I forgive myself on that basis.

Yes Tetleys is no more, the offices are now an art gallery, the brewery has been demolished & only the bottling plant remains with Asda in residence, alot of people refuse to buy the stuff now on principle, it's brewed wherever Carlsberg are based, Northampton I think.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Yes Tetleys is no more, the offices are now an art gallery, the brewery has been demolished & only the bottling plant remains with Asda in residence, alot of people refuse to buy the stuff now on principle, it's brewed wherever Carlsberg are based, Northampton I think.
Sacrilege! And the Tetley dray and horses?

*buys razor blades*
*eyes wrists*

Top Bottom