Leeds.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

Huddersfield is kept scrupulously clean, with local authority prioritising street cleansing, graffiti removal and street scene maintenance. So much so that when I stray across them big 'ills into Oldham et al I am immediately aware of the amount of graffiti. Kirklees have been big exponents of Street Scene as a concept. If a place looks tidy and well kept, folk feel safer and more comfortable. The "broken window syndrome" is well known phenomenon. The sight of graffiti, boarded shop fronts and litter-strewn streets makes people think that no one is taking responsibility or "in charge", (as in if they can't get the little things right, then no one is in control.) It's approached on a partnership basis, with street and community rangers and wardens, PCSOs and Neighbourhood cops all working towards reporting and tackling the environment. The concept stretches to housing areas too, with a requirement for all social housing landlords to tackle unkempt gardens, and even house frontages where appropriate. The Streetscene Directorate is also linked to housing, so it all dovetails.
https://www.kirklees.gov.uk/you-kmc/yourCouncil/place.aspx
Streetscene and Housing
Assistant Director: Kim Brear

Provides a responsive, integrated street based service which results in attractive, vibrant towns and neighbourhoods and which contributes to economic competitiveness and success of communities and individuals.

• Highways (except transport planning, development control and car parks)
  • Streetscene:
    • Refuse collection
    • Waste disposal
    • Street cleaning
    • Centralised transport
    • Parks and grounds maintenance
  • Landscape architects
  • Streetscene Action Team (rangers and dog wardens)
  • Police community support officers
  • Bereavement services
  • Routine enforcement
Involving and engaging communities in the provision of high quality neighbourhoods and effective local services.

• Strategic Housing - lead on housing strategy development and implementation, including the Housing Solutions/Option Service and Adaptation Service
  • Management of the Housing Revenue Account and the relationship/performance management of Kirklees Neighbourhood Housing
Wow.

Hard to get an impression in a 30 minute walk but I liked the facade of the hotel by the station, that's a nice spot.

I've lost my immunity to soporific lecturers in uni's though.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
And not at it's best anymore.It is looking shabby at the moment.It needs a full overhaul.Sorry to say it went downhill after the fire.I know that was a long time ago,but breaking it up and putting fire walls in, has broken the open flow.It is very bitty now,us oldies can see it going downhill even more.
My son went to Leeds uni and still lives there 3 years after graduating, he and his girlfriend now live in a flat a stone's throw away from the market. They love the market and do almost all their shopping there. They reckon you can feed yourself for a lot less by shopping there than you can by using the supermarkets, and they have also bought quite a bit of other stuff there as well, such as furniture and their pet guinea pig. Obviously with you probably having lived there much longer have seen it even better than it is now.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My son went to Leeds uni and still lives there 3 years after graduating, he and his girlfriend now live in a flat a stone's throw away from the market. They love the market and do almost all their shopping there. They reckon you can feed yourself for a lot less by shopping there than you can by using the supermarkets, and they have also bought quite a bit of other stuff there as well, such as furniture and their pet guinea pig. Obviously with you probably having lived there much longer have seen it even better than it is now.

I arrived in Leeds in 1977 to attend Leeds University and I'm still living here. The market is great value and is a reliable source of goat meat and great pork pies amongst other things. There has been a bit of a decline in the range of wares on offer but there's still great bargains to be had at the fresh meat, fish, fruit and vegetables stalls. Shopping overall is a different world to what it used to be but the core services of the market are still great.

Most of the surrounding area offers great eating out and alternative shopping opportunities and John Lewis is opening a store nearby to be the Ying to the market's Yang.

Postman's views have probably been modified by the opening of a Waitrose down the road from where we live and he probably now regards M&S as being downmarket. :okay:

RichardB

Slightly retro
I lived there from 1963 to 1972 and did all of my adolescent foolish stuff there. Also did my Masters at the Uni from 1976-77. At one time Leeds had the greatest area of green space of any city in Europe, and when the Council starting cleaning up the blackened buildings in the city centre after the Clean Air Act in 1966 it uncovered some lovely Victorian architecture. I have very fond memories of a brilliant city. I haven't been back since Mum died over ten years ago, so it may have changed since then, of course. I love living in Wales, but if I ever found myself on my own again, I would probably return.

I thought 'dirty Leeds' referred to the football team. One season of watching them at age 12 put me off football for life.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I lived there from 1963 to 1972 and did all of my adolescent foolish stuff there. Also did my Masters at the Uni from 1976-77. At one time Leeds had the greatest area of green space of any city in Europe, and when the Council starting cleaning up the blackened buildings in the city centre after the Clean Air Act in 1966 it uncovered some lovely Victorian architecture. I have very fond memories of a brilliant city. I haven't been back since Mum died over ten years ago, so it may have changed since then, of course. I love living in Wales, but if I ever found myself on my own again, I would probably return.

I thought 'dirty Leeds' referred to the football team. One season of watching them at age 12 put me off football for life.

You'd be surprised at the developments that have taken place in the city centre. Trinity Shopping Arcade - not my thing but nevertheless a retail magnet. A John Lewis store is being built on the site of Millgarth Police station. Granary Wharf redevelopment through the 'Dark Arches' has good eateries and bars plus hotels. New housing built by the canal side towards Kirkstall heading out from the city centre. A vibrant nightlife at The Calls. New housing over in Holbeck. The former polytechnic is expanding and is encroaching on the city centre. There's a new concert arena with reputable one of the best sound systems in the world within a ten minute walk from the station. The central industrial sites are being replaced with housing and offices. It still has large expanses of greenery and is still one of the greenest cities in Europe.

There are some things that I miss like Tetley's Brewery and Tetley's pubs since deregulation. The Dales are within easy reach by bus, train bike or car.

There's a buzz about the place that, in my opinion is rivalled only by Bristol.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I lied when I said I hadn't been back since Mum died. I went back last year for another funeral, but I was only in the city centre for a short time and didn't take much in (other then the standard "what the heck have they done to xyz?").

Tetley bitter, Sam Smiths, Timothy Taylor's, Old P ... great place to learn your drinking skills.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I work in Leeds - it is much better than when I first arrived in 1998 and far better than when looking as a potential student in 1998.

@Cubist Kirklees might look after Huddersfield but in the dark arches of Dewsbury it appears they don't really care about us.

DRM

Guru
I lied when I said I hadn't been back since Mum died. I went back last year for another funeral, but I was only in the city centre for a short time and didn't take much in (other then the standard "what the heck have they done to xyz?").

Tetley bitter, Sam Smiths, Timothy Taylor's, Old P ... great place to learn your drinking skills.
If Carlsberg did bitter it would.........oh hang on, they did, bought Tetleys out and ran it into the ground, gits

Top Bottom