Let's have a PC and Mac pissing contest.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
domtyler said:
I sincerely hope this is a piss take? If not, you are one seriously deluded individual! :evil:

It's no skin off my nose though, if you can afford to shell out thousands on sub-standard kit that's only purpose is to sit there and look pretty then you go right ahead and do just that. I have used both systems and am more than happy to confirm that Macs are dire in both use and operation. Not only are they far slower than the equivalently specced PC but they charge upwards of four times the price in to the bargain.

As for calling them "professional" in any way, this is just a sick joke pal. I have worked in some of the most demanding environments imaginable and the only time I have ever come across a mac in actual use it has been used on its side as a monitor stand! Seriously mate, you need to get a life. Move on. Get over this childish phase.
**titters as it becomes apparent that dom couldn't find the on switch on the front** :eek:

standard-issue

domtyler said:
I sincerely hope this is a piss take? If not, you are one seriously deluded individual! ;)

It's no skin off my nose though, if you can afford to shell out thousands on sub-standard kit that's only purpose is to sit there and look pretty then you go right ahead and do just that. I have used both systems and am more than happy to confirm that Macs are dire in both use and operation. Not only are they far slower than the equivalently specced PC but they charge upwards of four times the price in to the bargain.

As for calling them "professional" in any way, this is just a sick joke pal. I have worked in some of the most demanding environments imaginable and the only time I have ever come across a mac in actual use it has been used on its side as a monitor stand! Seriously mate, you need to get a life. Move on. Get over this childish phase.

Your spot on, yet way off point.

From photoshop 1.5 through CS3 there have been very subtle differences with layout, shortcuts etc, all in favour of Apple, i'm not the only one who has spotted this, it has also being noticed by...well...the design community at large (this is why they used macs when they were merely beige boxes) obviusly its not just photoshop, the same applies for almost any design package, so when "time is money" it makes economical sence if jobs are going to be quicker on a Mac.

Macs are slower, with the same spec, that akes no sence whatsoever. I can understand that judgement being made on Vista as any system with less than 2g RAM will lose 50% resources to the OS, another reason why the design industry favour Mac's, as they dedicate more memory to powering the programs used rather than the OS, that said the new Mac OS systems are a little weak, there was no need for anything more than OS 9.

To answer another question, it is not a piss take, however I suppose i am a very deluded individual, yes I would rather pay "four times the price" for something that looks beautiful, yet i suppose I can afford to, and justify it with the advatages it brings, unfortunately as i said before, Windows is better for parametrics, so I require a Windows system also, however i do have the taskbar at the top of the screen, and have all the icons in Mac OS 9 positions, well XP is Mac OS 9 in many respects!

Also:

2apple_bliss-med.jpg

xx(

domtyler

Über Member
standard-issue said:
Your spot on, yet way off point.

From photoshop 1.5 through CS3 there have been very subtle differences with layout, shortcuts etc, all in favour of Apple, i'm not the only one who has spotted this, it has also being noticed by...well...the design community at large (this is why they used macs when they were merely beige boxes) obviusly its not just photoshop, the same applies for almost any design package, so when "time is money" it makes economical sence if jobs are going to be quicker on a Mac.

Macs are slower, with the same spec, that akes no sence whatsoever. I can understand that judgement being made on Vista as any system with less than 2g RAM will lose 50% resources to the OS, another reason why the design industry favour Mac's, as they dedicate more memory to powering the programs used rather than the OS, that said the new Mac OS systems are a little weak, there was no need for anything more than OS 9.

To answer another question, it is not a piss take, however I suppose i am a very deluded individual, yes I would rather pay "four times the price" for something that looks beautiful, yet i suppose I can afford to, and justify it with the advatages it brings, unfortunately as i said before, Windows is better for parametrics, so I require a Windows system also, however i do have the taskbar at the top of the screen, and have all the icons in Mac OS 9 positions, well XP is Mac OS 9 in many respects!

Also:

2apple_bliss-med.jpg

:cry:

What is all this tripe? If someone takes the time to post a deliberately provocative and inflammatory post in your direction the least you could do is to respond in kind. Carefully crafted, well reasoned and level headed responses are the height of bad manners in my opinion!! ;)xx(!xx(

:tongue:

standard-issue

Mac OS 9 was the OS before all the fancy floating stuff, as pretty as it is, it uses system resources that would be better used powering the programs your running, one solution is the get a faster system but the prog's i use are designed to use as near to 100% of the availiable resources as possible, so the less the OS uses to run all the fancy desktop stuff the better.

XP and Vista are just Mac OS 9 and OS X, or so i'm informed by programmers that have worked with microsoft.

standard-issue

domtyler said:
What is all this tripe? If someone takes the time to post a deliberately provocative and inflammatory post in your direction the least you could do is to respond in kind. Carefully crafted, well reasoned and level headed responses are the height of bad manners in my opinion!! :biggrin::smile:!:smile:

:smile:

eh?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
has s-i really used cs3 in os9? :biggrin:

Carwash

Señor Member
standard-issue said:
Mac OS 9 was the OS before all the fancy floating stuff, as pretty as it is, it uses system resources that would be better used powering the programs your running

Yes. It was also the OS that still used cooperative multi-tasking, from before they saw the writing on the wall and switched to a Mach-kernel and BSD userland tools. Even Windows 98 was more stable!

standard-issue said:
one solution is the get a faster system

Another would be to just turn off all the chrome you don't want. For goodness' sake!

standard-issue said:
but the prog's i use are designed to use as near to 100% of the availiable resources as possible

If that's really true, then those programs must be very poorly coded indeed. If your OS X system is running slow, I doubt it's a translucent menu-bar that's causing the problems...

standard-issue said:

Allow me to translate for Dom: You've been trolled. Congratulations.

yenrod

A mate of mine paid 950 for an apple laptop - which aint as good as...: I got 3gig ram / 120 HDrive 4 380. :biggrin:

standard-issue

Carwash said:
Yes. It was also the OS that still used cooperative multi-tasking, from before they saw the writing on the wall and switched to a Mach-kernel and BSD userland tools. Even Windows 98 was more stable!

Another would be to just turn off all the chrome you don't want. For goodness' sake!

If that's really true, then those programs must be very poorly coded indeed. If your OS X system is running slow, I doubt it's a translucent menu-bar that's causing the problems...

Allow me to translate for Dom: You've been trolled. Congratulations.

Its generaly autodesk that slows systems down, in the design world...OS 9 was merely an example of life before "chrome". Can't really speak of windows OS pre XP as i have very limited experience of them, hence not being referenced.

When rendering on autodesk prog's all memory + virtual memory will dissapear, this is why i run 3 systems, 1 for 2d, 1 for 3d and one for rendering, or movies if i'm not rendering enything.

Troll...unfortunately not.

standard-issue

yenrod said:
A mate of mine paid 950 for an apple laptop - which aint as good as...: I got 3gig ram / 120 HDrive 4 380. :biggrin:

Yeah if money is an issue then your not going to get anything cheap from apple, but what you generally get is dedicated graphics, which isn't required by most people...if your not in a design job/education and dont really care how things look, just want it to do a job, then go to pc world and get the latest, cheapest offer.

Top Bottom