Let's have a PC and Mac pissing contest.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carwash

Señor Member
standard-issue said:
Yeah if money is an issue then your not going to get anything cheap from apple, but what you generally get is dedicated graphics...

Except on the Mac Mini. And the MacBook. And the MacBook Air.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Carwash said:
Except on the Mac Mini…
which is cheap as chips. i would recommend anyone with an old pc to get one, especially if they mainly use their computer to surf the web and organise their photos and music. as the new ones can run windows (dual boot or via parallels etc), there's no compelling reason not to, unless you want real bargain basement stuff.

and you can connect them to your tv.

standard-issue

Yeah don't bother with the Mac Mini, the MacBook and the MacBook Air. Unless you are doing nothing more than net and pics, like alec said. vbmenu_register("postmenu_428206", true);

I cant help but feel the MacBook Air is a product for a market which demands "lighter" and "smaller", unfortunately the technology isn't there yet, or they're holding out, in that case buy one in 5 years.

Autodesk bought out Alias/Wavefront but I only ever used Maya on Mac so can't vouch for others, always used Studio Tools on Windows.

Carwash

Señor Member
standard-issue said:
Yeah don't bother with the Mac Mini, the MacBook and the MacBook Air. Unless you are doing nothing more than net and pics, like alec said. vbmenu_register("postmenu_428206", true);

I cant help but feel the MacBook Air is a product for a market which demands "lighter" and "smaller", unfortunately the technology isn't there yet, or they're holding out, in that case buy one in 5 years.

The MacBook Air is not really something I'd ever use... were I to require an ultra-portable, I'd probably go with something like an EeePC. Having said that, I have two friends who bought MacBook Airs (MacBooks Air? MacsBook Air??), both of them otherwise Linux users, and each has said that it's ended up effectively replacing their desktop machines - quite unintentionally. So who knows?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i regard the macbook air as a lamp over the future, apple's way of showing off and leading the way, rather than a workhorse. the only person i know with one is the head of creative where i work, probably the sort of chap domtyler thinks all mac users are.

standard-issue

Maybe i'm just bitter that a the MacbookAir is no good for me...I'm definately very bitter that i had to get an ugly Dell Precision notebook for mobile 3d work.

fancy a bit of a laugh take a look at this.

domtyler

Über Member
This thread has degraded into the driest, most humourless piece of dialogue I have ever had the misfortune to come across! :tongue:

Bloody Mac users! :biggrin:

Carwash

Señor Member
domtyler said:
This thread has degraded into the driest, most humourless piece of dialogue I have ever had the misfortune to come across! :tongue:

Bloody Mac users! :biggrin:

If you think Mac users are fun, you'll love the OpenBSD crowd! ba-dum tish!

simonali

Guru
bonj said:
no, apple are like having a 11/16ths of an inch allen key, rather than standard sizes like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8mm and 1/8", 1/4", 1/2", etc.

<dons nerd hat> 1mm isn't a standard Allen key size. Most sets start at 1.5mm, but there are smaller ones. No 1mm, though. smaller sizes are 1.27, 0.9 and 0.7. ;)

(for the record, my PC is black, has noisy fans and plays music very loudly (drowns out the fan noise!)

twowheelsgood

Really why does everyone get so excited about this?

An Apple is a PC full stop and hence incredibly dull. The OS is different but the only thing stopping you installing it on any other commodity box is it has a peice of software in the BIOS that talks to the OS. No that that stops some people - look up "hackintosh".

If you like the OS that's fine but hardware-wise you paid more for exactly the same but with less choice. Apples are even made by exactly the same Taiwanese and Chinese companies that build every other branded or generic PC. Foxconn and Asustek for example.

Saying that if Apple launch the right product at the right price in this evening's launch I'd buy one. I'd like a very compact laptop, like an eee pc but very slightly bigger for a proper keyboard. And I'd like it to be no more than £350.

I'll stick with my zSeries if you don't mind.

twowheelsgood

alecstilleyedye said:
which is cheap as chips. i would recommend anyone with an old pc to get one, especially if they mainly use their computer to surf the web and organise their photos and music. as the new ones can run windows (dual boot or via parallels etc), there's no compelling reason not to, unless you want real bargain basement stuff.

and you can connect them to your tv.

I could give you a good reason not to. when it actually does any heavy work, like watching a movie, it's a noisy as crap. I thought it would be a neato living room solution, but I sold it on. The little case may be cute but it means you can't manage the heat any other way.

The laptop hard drive is also small (meaning it's not good for media) and incredibly slow meaning the OS runs badly.

Top Bottom