Lets negotiate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps this bristol chap can repair the nerves in my right elbow and restore the feeling to the two fingers of my right hand so I cannwork them properly while typing?

MikeG

Guru
........Nothing worse than a put-on posh accent.

Really? How about some working class mangling of consonants..............bu'er (instead of butter), bovver (instead of bother), and so on. Before you start a class war, make sure you're armed.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Has anyone noticed the latest trend among smart arse politicians, mainly Tories but some commies do it too, of pronouncing the word 'negotiate' to sound like 'neg-oh-see-ate'? BBC news readers have started doing it now and, heavens above, they've just let someone loose on Radio 4 who pronounced it the same way and I didn't hear a single gasp of horror or monocle being dropped.

We don't eat a port-see-on of chips, and women don't have ab-or-see-ons, and the British do not neg-oh-see-ate.

Stop it BBC, before I write an angry letter to Points of View. Stop it politicians, or I'll vote UKIP.

Thank you.

I'm a bit late to the thread but as rants go this is bloody piss poor. I expect better than this from you Drago.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I find it interesting how, in some areas "nothing" became "nuffink" which has now become "Nu'ink".

"Nu'ink" is actually far harder to pronounce, which goes against the usual emergence of slang in that the slang word is a lazy rendition of the original. I also heard a London friend say he'd like "A Apple", which again is harder to say than "An Apple".

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I find it interesting how, in some areas "nothing" became "nuffink" which has now become "Nu'ink".

"Nu'ink" is actually far harder to pronounce, which goes against the usual emergence of slang in that the slang word is a lazy rendition of the original. I also heard a London friend say he'd like "A Apple", which again is harder to say than "An Apple".
'er indores puts a k on the end of ing words - drives me nuts. She says it's a legacy of Solihull. I said I thought Solihull was supposed to be the posh bit of Brum. 'Posh' being, as we know, a relative term - see also Spice Girls.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Really? How about some working class mangling of consonants..............bu'er (instead of butter), bovver (instead of bother), and so on. Before you start a class war, make sure you're armed.

Much better than pretending to be posh. At least it's unpretentious.

MikeG

Guru
Much better than pretending to be posh. At least it's unpretentious.

Help me with this. In what way is enunciating clearly pretending to be anything, or in any way pretentious?

Let me declare my stance on all this class and accent stuff. I was born and brought up abroad, and arrived in the country as a 14 year old. I had no knowledge of the class system then, and still find it the most ridiculous and indefensible bit of nonsense even now, 40 odd years later. Why do people show pride in being of a particular class? It's barmy to me. I'll judge people in many ways, but not by their social class or economic status. Signifying one's membership of some subset of some class or other by the way one speaks is ludicrous in the extreme in my book, as is sneering at people who speak differently from you.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd put part of the blame on trying to "kill" local accents.

A bit like being having to sit on your left hand, forcing you to use only the "right" hand.

Now down to laziness.

Top Bottom