Lets negotiate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Englandland?

Neg-oh-see-ate isn't correct pronunciation. Its simply poncey, especially when the politician then pronounces it the correct way several sentences later.

One thing worse than speaking in a fake manner, be it posh, estuary, welshish, or whatever, and that is being unable to do so consistently!

MikeG

Guru
........Neg-oh-see-ate isn't correct pronunciation........

Says who?

English is a forever-changing language, used by a tiny number of occupants of the British Isles out of the total world population of English speakers, and no-one, not one single person, group or entity, has any right to say what is correct or incorrect about the way it is spoken. You have an opinion, and are perfectly entitled to it, but you also have no way of supporting your assertion that there is a correct way of pronouncing any single word. There isn't.

MikeG

Guru
I think you are probably wrong about that, too. I think the forum runs along the lines of "you can start a thread, but you can't control it".

But let's look at your claim anyway. "The correct pronunciation is X, because it's my thread and I say so". So, if I start a thread and say "the correct pronunciation is Y, because it's my thread and I say so", will that convince you?

No, thought not.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Doesn't matter if I'm wrong or right. The whole thing annoys me, hence my grumpy old man thread. I dont need your permission to get annoyed over something, and then get even more annoyed when a politician let's the facade slip.

If you'd like to start a thread on another topic then be my guest Michael, but I sadly won't be able to read it because you're simply trying to be argumentative for the sake of it, so you're now number 2 on my ignore list.

Last edited:

MikeG

Guru
Doesn't matter if I'm wrong or right. The whole thing annoys me.....

Classic. "I can't justify it annoying me. I'm probably wrong to be annoyed about it. Nonetheless, I'm allowed to be annoyed about it, and because you question why I ranted about it, I'm never ever ever going to speak to you again, so there".

Big deal.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Doesn't matter if I'm wrong or right. The whole thing annoys me, hence my grumpy old man thread. I dont need your permission to get annoyed over something, and then get even more annoyed when a politician let's the facade slip.

If you'd like to start a thread on another topic then be my guest Michael, but I sadly won't be able to read it because you're simply trying to be argumentative for the sake of it, so you're now number 2 on my ignore list.
You've only got two on your ignore list? Feckin amateur.

Top Bottom