Lets try a change of job

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FBOAB

Okay, after a long time off air with a massive low attack I'm back in the land of the living (just). Thing is my wonderful (now ex) employer has decided to dispense with my services. Okay thinks I, I've had enough of the lad of public transport (buses to the rest of you) and I fancy a complete change.
Thing is; I'm starting to look at a career in the world of cycles. Now, I 'aint no matchstick waisted racing expert (FBOAB = Fat Bastard On A Bike - says it all really) so pedalling for a living might not be for me. But what is available job wise? I'm asking you all here as I'm highly impressed by the depth of knowledge you lot posses. No I'm not taking the pee, I'm serious!

Thanks. Andy.

colly

Re member eR
What about asking the local council if they need a trainer for teaching kids the safest way to ride on the roads.

Someone has to do it.

OP
OP
F

FBOAB

colly said:
What about asking the local council if they need a trainer for teaching kids the safest way to ride on the roads.

Someone has to do it.

Hmm. that's a thought. Money has become a little less of an issue as SWMBO has now finished her degree and is earning a little more to pay the bills.

OP
OP
F

FBOAB

Thanks for the replies folks. It feels nice to be back! I think I'll investigate what the council does for cycling training (Dudley Council) and work from there. I'm quite good with the spanners so could move to being a cycle mechanic (Oh decisions decisions...)

Hi there BOAB. Good to see you:biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
A friend is considering training to be a trainer with Bike Right.

Does anyone know much about this outfit?

It might be an avenue to explore for you FBOAB.

Grants are apparently readily available to help towards the cost of the course, or at least they are in this area, he got approved for his very easily.

I know very little about it/them but he's considering it and any advice for FBOAB or him would be much appreciated ta.

colly

Re member eR
Just think:

If you start getting out and about on your bike again you might become a Thin Bloke On A Bike

But if you use a sarff Larndan accent you could still keep your monika as it is.:biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
F

FBOAB

colly said:
Just think:

If you start getting out and about on your bike again you might become a Thin Bloke On A Bike

But if you use a sarff Larndan accent you could still keep your monika as it is.:biggrin::biggrin:

Nah, probably become slightly less fat bloke on a bike. I'm of the Noodley philosophy Pies=good!

OP
OP
F

FBOAB

Just had a look at Bike it! and found an equivelant in Cycle Training West Midlands. Going to investigate further tomorrow (after a ride of course - all this free time must be put to some good use!)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
colly said:

Someone has to do it.

You are talking about being able to deliver something that can be accredited. A formal course leading to certification is 'proof' that the kids will be up to riding on the road. Taking kids out on the roads is fraught with danger and the risk assessment bureaucracy is awesome in it's extent and volume.

Furthermore it would be expected that the trainer would have some sort of accreditation as a cycle trainer - Bikeability springs to mind plus a comprehensive CRB check to allow adults to work with children.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
There seem to be bikeability training sessions springing up everywhere. My husband and I trained as bikeability instructors and the work seems to be coming in at a pretty good rate (through a local organisation, we're not doing it freelance). We're not going to get rich on it but it's enough to keep us ticking over at the moment. Plus insurance and stuff like that is handled.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
colly said:

Someone has to do it.

The council might even pay for the Bikeability training.

Here (Hampshire) they teach 10 year olds via the Junior School but the bloke who teaches them is a voulenteer rather than getting paid.

I think the thing to do is bike hire rather than a shop. You can set up somewhere on a good tourist cycle route. When I have used them they have always seemed busy and raking it in (Camel Trail and the one near Padstow). I think local council may give you the premises to work from as you would encourage tourism and fitness.

Top Bottom