London-Edinburgh-London 2013: The thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Here's to 2017?

Here's to 2013 first, bud. Out of the ride but not out of the event. Seeing you all come by is going to be awesome!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Just catching up on this thread. That's a real shame Andy :sad:
was another one inspired into audaxing by your account of 2009 (both from the thread and the book)

I hope to see you at a control and I hope everything mends quickly.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Re the "cyclechat" nameplates for LEL ....
like this
plate2_zps8d195d1f.jpg

Due to staffing levels at the printers the actual print run will not happen for a few days yet.

So, any of you who inadvertently missed the deadline, you have another 24 hours to get your order in.

Please specify your nameplate test and provide postage address on this form:
http://www.jotformeu.com/PpPete/LelNameplateOrderForm

Cost for one off single width version is just £1.80 including UK postage. Second and subsequent copies to same address £1.50/ea
Double width is £3.50 inc UK postage (£2.50/ea for second & subsequent copies)

Payment by Paypal as Gift / Personal Payment to:
email_zps101018ea.gif

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Well this weekend has left me with serious doubts about this ride. I did a 150 and a 200 back to back in the Southern Highlands, and riding from Banchory to Braemar I just couldn't keep going at anything like a useful pace. Partly I'd massively underdone the hydration over the two days but I just didn't seem to have the drive.

If I can't handle 360km over two days, how am I going to average 300+km every day for a week?

I'll make my final decision after the Lincoln in a fortnight, but I may just have to accept that this fat bloke isn't capable of completing LEL :sad:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I'd massively underdone the hydration over the two days ... I may just have to accept that this [thirsty] bloke isn't capable of completing LEL :sad:

The web is awash (forgive the pun) with metrics mapping hydration to performance, motivation and mental state. I'd advise against reading too much into a skewed test ride where you've hobbled yourself. Perhaps the purpose of this weekend was to remind you to drink properly? :smile:

Greenbank

Über Member
... but I just didn't seem to have the drive.

If I can't handle 360km over two days, how am I going to average 300+km every day for a week?

You'll get a lot of drive on the event itself as you'll have hundreds of others to ride with you, chat (in various languages!) with you and encourage you; plus great encouragement and support at each of the controls.

A 200 is about my limit of solo riding (any further and I'd probably succumb to the DNF fairie). All of my other DIY rides (a few 300s, a 400 and a 600) have either been with company or a DIY ride that extends a calendar event.

Remember the trick of Audax is to only think about the ~80km to the next control. That's generally easy, it's just a 4 or 5 hour ride.

Lather, rinse, repeat...

vorsprung

Veteran
Well this weekend has left me with serious doubts about this ride. I did a 150 and a 200 back to back in the Southern Highlands, and riding from Banchory to Braemar I just couldn't keep going at anything like a useful pace. Partly I'd massively underdone the hydration over the two days but I just didn't seem to have the drive.

I'll make my final decision after the Lincoln in a fortnight, but I may just have to accept that this fat bloke isn't capable of completing LEL :sad:

You can do it if you want to. Consider:

1) it's still a couple of months to go. You can loose 1/2Kg. Easy.
2) the main reason to do "practice" rides is to discover what you have to do with eating/drinking/resting/padded gloves. You know better now
3) the southern highlands is probably lumpier than much of LEL, as you will discover if you are going to a ride at Lincoln
4) it's LESS THAN 300km per 24 hours including sleep:
1418km / 116 hours = 12.224 km/ph
24 hours * 12.224 kph = 293.37 km per 24 hours

Top Bottom