London-Edinburgh-London 2013: The thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Unfortunately I have also made the decision to withdraw from LEL.

I had hoped that physio had cured a knee problem that as been bugging me for the last few months but despite turning the Lincoln 400 into a 300 to build the mileage by 250k I could barely spin the pedals, hills where a nightmare.

I have offered my services at a control so you could still have to put up with me one way or another :laugh:

yello

I saw your post on yacf off. It's a tough decision to make and you have my sympathies and best wishes. I think you've made the right call - your own health comes first and I don't think you can go into something like LEL with niggling injuries and/or doubts.

I wonder how many others have pulled out to date? I'm sure the organisers wouldn't give those figures for fear of inevitable questions from the waiting list.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Made it round the LIncoln 400 this weekend. We started in torrential rain for the first 4 hours and I was seriously thinking of heading for York at that point. Took me a little over 26 hrs in total as my legs went on strike at about 330km and I was struggling to get up mild inclines (this ride was over 100 miles longer than my previous furthest). Ended up taking over 4 hrs to do the last 50km from Ripon to Aldborough.

Now I need to see how my body feels in a day or two and decide what I'm going to do.

yello

Sounds to me like no decision is needed. You got around in time and in difficult conditions. Score one for the head and determination. Result :thumbsup:

It's to be expected to feel tired and to need to rest. I mean, you didn't think it'd be easy now did you? ;)

PpPete

Legendary Member
So we're waiting to if any bits fell off @mcshroom ?
I was ready to pack around 120km into the BCM 600, but somehow got it back together again to finish earlier than last year's near lanterne rouge performance.... despite only an hour's kip at King's.
Need new mitts as hands hurt, and really must lose a bit of weight, the "fuel tank" doesn't work.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I think the weight seems to be a fixture for me. Two days afyer finishing I have slight numbness in my left little finger and some tendonitis in the top of my left foot. Otherwise it's surprising how little discomfort I've felt really.

Thankfully my mates are the caring sort so tonight's group ride includes 450m climbing and a 1:5 :rolleyes:
Should be an intetesting test of my recovery.

Guess what came for me in the post today? Thanks @PpPete. It is very good quality and just the right size. I shall display it with pride on the Llanfair PG this weekend.

984089_10151437414216186_2059386863_n.jpg

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'll be riding the 'Holl and Back' at the end of June. How about you? Well done on completing the Llanfair PG by the way :smile:

I know it doesn't make much difference, but having missed out on my 300 perm in April due to weather, I'm hoping to fit one of those in this month as well so I can get an SR series under my belt before LEL kicks off.

I'm doing 'Holl and Back' too - but as a perm a few days earlier if plans work out. I would really like to do the cal' event but other commitments prevent it. However, i do have the offer of a bed and feed nr Melton Mowbray on my perm so it ain't all bad :smile:

STMS

< 4 weeks and i need some speed, I did a 300 (Old Roads Perm) as fast as i could (Vorsprung a couple of weeks earlier than you suggested). Bike needs some work too. Panic panic panic. I could do with 1 or 2 kph more, and wrists not hands seem to be the problem on the long rides?

Top Bottom