London-Edinburgh-London 2013: The thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm starting to panic a little bit now. No rides done this year over 200 miles. Done a few around the 150 mark but not since April. And I'm on call for one of the remaining weekends so just two weekends to come up with something :wacko:

Sixpackorkeg

Regular
after help here guys - loaded up the gpx files from the website onto my garmin 705 (have ner used it for nav before).
recce'd the ride in a car last weekend and after about 2o miles of each leg following the pink line, my garmin zoomed out to 'world' level and I don't know why ?
Also sometimes the pink line veered off the route, to the extent it disappeared off the screen - no idea why that would be either ?

Any steer appreciated as in panic mode as the lanes down south are guaranteed to lose me and not a fan of the route cards.

On a separate note for the ones thinking they're not fit enough . my longest ride is 180 miles (once), will squeeze in a 150 tomorrow and a 150 thursday but other than that my miles have been very low. first audax ever, but will be at the start line - we'll be fine..... :-)

martint235

Dog on a bike
It depends how you're trying to navigate them. The files I downloaded from the website all turned out to be just tracks rather than routes (I'm actually going through them all manually remapping them as routes so at least I'll be confident in the middle of the night!) and that may have made a difference on your unit.

LEL will be my first ever audax too. I have done a couple of 200+ milers but none this year. Furthest this year is about 160 I think. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. And anyway it's only 5 days, how bad can it be!!!

Sixpackorkeg

Regular
It depends how you're trying to navigate them. The files I downloaded from the website all turned out to be just tracks rather than routes (I'm actually going through them all manually remapping them as routes so at least I'll be confident in the middle of the night!) and that may have made a difference on your unit.

LEL will be my first ever audax too. I have done a couple of 200+ milers but none this year. Furthest this year is about 160 I think. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. And anyway it's only 5 days, how bad can it be!!!

Interesting... Do you fancy sending them on an e-mail? I've got very basic mapping on my 705 so I basically just want something that in essence is following the roads (not breadcrumbs as such).

Am riding dalkeith to Barnard castle tomorrow, so will get a chance to try out a crs conversion of the files and see if that works. Riding back up north on Thursday.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Unfortunately I've only finished northbound at the moment. Hopefully going to get southbound mapped tomorrow then I've just got to do route converter on them to put my own labels on the corners

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Well, due to lack of funds in January, and lack of training in Feb, Mar, and Apr I won't be doing it.

I will however be at the Thirsk control to cheer you all up and on as you go north and south.

Do say hi, won't you?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well, due to lack of funds in January, and lack of training in Feb, Mar, and Apr I won't be doing it.

I will however be at the Thirsk control to cheer you all up and on as you go north and south.

Do say hi, won't you?
If I a. Recognise you and b. Am alert enough to say "hi" I will

martint235

Dog on a bike
Should probably have a new thread I suppose

Trickedem

Guru
How's everyone's prep going? I am doing the Rutland Weekend 300km tomorrow as my final long ride. I am starting to feel a bit more confident now as the earlier problems I had with my knee seemed to have resolved themselves.
I am now starting to get a few last things in place, but there is a lot to do:
Buy another Li-ion battery pack.
Replace my bottom bracket.
Buy and possibly fit new brake blocks
Replace pedals, possibly
Take Audax seriously and buy my first Carradice bag.
Decide what to put in my bag drops.
Find and eliminate the creaking that occurs when pedalling the saddle. (I have lubricated and tightened the saddle mounts, so hope this will work)

martint235

Dog on a bike
How's everyone's prep going? I am doing the Rutland Weekend 300km tomorrow as my final long ride. I am starting to feel a bit more confident now as the earlier problems I had with my knee seemed to have resolved themselves.
I am now starting to get a few last things in place, but there is a lot to do:
Buy another Li-ion battery pack.
Replace my bottom bracket.
Buy and possibly fit new brake blocks
Replace pedals, possibly
Take Audax seriously and buy my first Carradice bag.
Decide what to put in my bag drops.
Find and eliminate the creaking that occurs when pedalling the saddle. (I have lubricated and tightened the saddle mounts, so hope this will work)
Errmm. I haven't done any Audax. I've done very few long rides. I don't have any bag drops. I do have a Carradice so that's ok. And I've bought a new chain and cassette for Lelly.

New Etrex ordered and I've done all my routes.

Top Bottom