London-Edinburgh-London 2013: The thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
At Thirsk, sleep deprived. Aiming for Edinburgh today. Emphasis on "aiming"

Remember last year it took us 5 days to get to Edinburgh on LonJog - not 2!
That was close to my limit. Hence total respect for what you are achieving. Rooting for you - and the other FNRttCers.

frank9755

Cyclist
Martin Brice has got to Pocklington. Must have slept at Market Rasen. Keep it up, mmmmm!

McShroom is a couple of hours behind him.

And PorkyPete half an hour ahead

SteveVW is already at Thirsk (08:56 am Monday), just 45 mins behind Long Martin

Reactions: 4F

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Just about to leave Pock. Lost 50 mins last night helping a rider who'd broken his collar bone and the lack of sleep is hurting. Aiming to hopefully make Brampton today but now it's just one control at a time.

@mcshroom - saw you mentioning hayfever elsewhere, there is good news for you: MetOffice pollen count map showing "low" for all areas just north of where you are ...

:bravo: for giving an hour of your precious sleeping time to helping somebody else

T

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
From a volunteer point of view we are amazed at the speed if north bound riders. But please remember you need to rest as much as you can. One rider has been hospitalised sfter going OTT.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
Well bloody done to everyone who's on the ride and to mcshroom for helping the injured. The lovely @jefmcg checked in to Pocklington at 5.03 this morning although I'm not sure how ahead or behind she is behind everyone else.

frank9755

Cyclist
Just about to leave Pock. Lost 50 mins last night helping a rider who'd broken his collar bone and the lack of sleep is hurting. Aiming to hopefully make Brampton today but now it's just one control at a time.

Well done! I'm sure they will give you an extension for the time spent helping the injured rider, should you need an extra hour up your sleeve at the end.

frank9755

Cyclist
A bit of rain is ok. But if it really sets in, it might be worth stopping sooner to dry out!

I've just had a look at the forecast and it seems like it will be nicer once you get further west. You should have a sunny evening run into Brampton, with a tailwind. If you're feeling good, it might even be worth pressing on.

There is some rain around, possibly some heavy showers around tea time tomorrow, but its a bit of a lottery as to who gets caught and who escapes.

The main weather challenge looks like being on the last quarter of the ride when the forecast is for it to be hot, and with a head wind. Drink plenty and it will be fine (the wind will at least cool you as well as slow you and dehydrate you!) but speed will be down and it will be a bit more tiring - so worth making progress up country with the wind on your back!

frank9755

Cyclist
Note to all riders. Please take extra care descending. The rains have washed lots of grit onto the roads.

This is a good point. The roads in the Chilterns were covered in gravel yesterday. My club had a sportive and it seemed like half the riders reported punctures + one faller with road rash.

From a volunteer point of view we are amazed at the speed if north bound riders. But please remember you need to rest as much as you can. One rider has been hospitalised sfter going OTT.

The tail wind is obviously pushing people's speeds up. I expect they will be going slower when you see them coming back the other way!

Top Bottom