London riots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
WE???:laugh:If the left weren't spying for the Russians during the cold war, they were certainly supporting them!

Ectually it was the upper crust who spied for the Ruskies. People like the Queen's art adviser. What's more, the western allies, post WW2 pretended they did not know what Stalin was up to (we are talking Churchill and Rooseveldt) and let him take Poland and half of Germany. Most thinking people knew full well what sort of bastard Stalin was and didn't pretend otherwise.

Anyway, after capitalism apparently destroyed the USSR through economics it now seems that Red China is doing the same for capitalism.

U

User482

Lets say 23 hours a day in solitary. I am very sure that would be a deterent. No proof but these muppets fear lonliness above all else. That is why they are pack animals.

Evidence?

As a general point, over 2 million Americans are in prison. Doesn't seem to have done much for their crime rate, does it? You'll note the effectiveness of 3 strikes & you're out.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Late to thread, but I read Theresa May has said 'The way we police in Britain is not through use of water cannon. The way we police in Britain is through consent of communities.'

Clueless. Vigilantes are the next stop then? Do you want the communities to knock f**k out of these idiots themselves?

I was in tears on the way home, on the radio an elderly lady was being interviewed about how gangs of masked youths had been congregating around her building last night. They had threatened her, broken into the shops and offices below. She had called the police, and family living elsewhere - in fear for her life, she left the building and it was later torched - all her and her husbands posessions are gone.
A lifetime.

So do cut it with the ideological posturing, and the sociological analysis, because it is opportunistic terrorism.

The people involved who I have heard interviewed are unashamed, proud even, of what they have done 'we'll show the rich' said one girl. The journalist asked her to define 'rich' 'the people with businesses and shops and that' she replied. The shops where you buy your food then?
A lad shouted into another journalist's microphone 'it's race recognition this'

Recognising what?
Another voice of rationality. Those who spew forth sociological ideals sound as though they have had very priveliged upbringings but are also very niave.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
From the Guardian

Iran
has called on the British government to "restrain" the police and stop the "violent treatment" of rioters.The foreign ministry spokesman, Ramin Mehmanparast, said dialogue would calm the situation, and urged the UK to respond to the demands of the "protesters". He also asked human rights organisations to investigate the death of Mark Duggan, which led to the riots.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
The people involved who I have heard interviewed are unashamed, proud even, of what they have done 'we'll show the rich' said one girl. The journalist asked her to define 'rich' 'the people with businesses and shops and that' she replied. The shops where you buy your food then?
A lad shouted into another journalist's microphone 'it's race recognition this'

Recognising what?

The frightening thing is that these people have, or will have, the vote. Luckily, I suspect they won't bother to use it...

It's just meaningless buzzwords, just like the management crap that gets spouted in business. Don't think about what you're saying, just make it sound good. If you're as thick as two short planks, you can still sound like someone who ought to be making a million in partnership with SurAlan, if you just make the right noises.

I hope that girl who talked about the 'rich' people with businesses gets a tag quietly put on her name, and see what happens when one day, she wants a job in one of those businesses.

I haven't been following this on TV much, mostly the radio, but I'm not getting the impression that race has anything to do with it.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Late to thread, but I read Theresa May has said 'The way we police in Britain is not through use of water cannon. The way we police in Britain is through consent of communities.'

i heard that and won't repeat what i shouted at the tv.

it's like me fixing a bent front wheel by saying that the way forward is to avoid potholes.

and in a further cycling analogy, if the riots are a puncture, the government will buy the wrong size of very cheap nasty inner tube and not bother checking for glass, thorns, bad rim tape etc before fitting it.

I am jumping in at the deep end as I have by-passed some of the postings, so if others have made the same or simular remarks sorry.
1) The rioting is nothing new in this country, there are storys of my Grandfather and his brothers stepping in to stop yobs breaking up shops of people with German names in 1914 Only thing was the people were Jew's and as my G.F was swarthy skinned (born in Fort Napier) he was naturally called Darky or Nigger.
2) I belive looting is still a major offence and the police have the right to use extreme force to protect people and property.
3) The prisons may be full but there are several outlying islands that are not lived on. They would make ideal homes for those caught out looting or rioting. Let them find or make there own shelter on one or more of these islands a couple of winter months would cure any ideas of rioting again.
4) (3) may seem inhumain but so was burning down or stealing some one elses home.
5) It is time our politicians and social leaders recognised that there are people who can only understand and respect violence and the only way to deal with these people is with equall or greater violence, because no matter what you do for or give to these people they will always resort to violence.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I am jumping in at the deep end as I have by-passed some of the postings, so if others have made the same or simular remarks sorry.
1) The rioting is nothing new in this country, there are storys of my Grandfather and his brothers stepping in to stop yobs breaking up shops of people with German names in 1914 Only thing was the people were Jew's and as my G.F was swarthy skinned (born in Fort Napier) he was naturally called Darky or Nigger.
2) I belive looting is still a major offence and the police have the right to use extreme force to protect people and property.
3) The prisons may be full but there are several outlying islands that are not lived on. They would make ideal homes for those caught out looting or rioting. Let them find or make there own shelter on one or more of these islands a couple of winter months would cure any ideas of rioting again.
4) (3) may seem inhumain but so was burning down or stealing some one elses home.
5) It is time our politicians and social leaders recognised that there are people who can only understand and respect violence and the only way to deal with these people is with equall or greater violence, because no matter what you do for or give to these people they will always resort to violence.
I like your style :smile:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Quite amazing how normally reasonable people suddenly turn into out-and-out fascists when stuff like this happens...

FM, without resorting to inference or introducing external sources, what would you do with the people caught setting fire to property, looting and injuring people?
[On a side issue, please do not call rational, but frustrated people fascists, it's beneath you.]

U

User482

User482. I take it you have had a very fortunate life, it sounds like it, but you seem like an idealist to me.
I take it that you're unable to answer my question.

Your attitude appears to be one of what makes some people feel a bit better, rather than what might actually work.

U

User482

There are no "Tough" prisons in the UK for comparison.
Throughout my life time punishment for crime has become more and more lenient, and as the leniency increases so does the disrespect for law and order.

In a recent government report it showed that short term sentences are not working, pity our government took this the wrong way and are considering replacing short sentences with bollocks all. If short term sentences are not working lock them up for longer.

I'm dam well sure I could create a sentencing and prison regime where no one re-offended.
I suspect that those claiming prisons aren't tough have never done time. And if we're getting more lenient, why is our prison population increasing?

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
Ectually it was the upper crust who spied for the Ruskies. People like the Queen's art adviser. What's more, the western allies, post WW2 pretended they did not know what Stalin was up to (we are talking Churchill and Rooseveldt) and let him take Poland and half of Germany. Most thinking people knew full well what sort of bastard Stalin was and didn't pretend otherwise.
I didn't say what class the left were and in any case, many are anything but working class, no matter what many like to think of themselves as - ie Julie Burchill.

I'm sure there were pragmatic reasons for not stopping the soviets, as in, having just fought WW2 for a start. That doesn't mean Churchill and Rooseveldt were happy to have the soviets take over half of Europe, and the cold war reflected that.

Top Bottom