London riots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I take it that you're unable to answer my question.

Your attitude appears to be one of what makes some people feel a bit better, rather than what might actually work.
Then our justice system doesn't work, the US system doesn't work (harsher than ours it seems) so what do you suggest is the answer?
Clearly mine does not sit well with you.

asterix

Comrade Member
Brilliant!!!

Yeah!!! Cut Off their goolies...

I like your style.

Adasta

3) The prisons may be full but there are several outlying islands that are not lived on. They would make ideal homes for those caught out looting or rioting. Let them find or make there own shelter on one or more of these islands a couple of winter months would cure any ideas of rioting again.

Yeh but we've done this before. All that happens is that, a few centuries down the line, you get a whole group of people with peculiar accents who get really annoyed when you batter them at cricket.

And let's not talk about Pitcairn.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I used to design bits of prison. And I've designed a lot of social housing. And I can tell you that prison is a fearful thing, degrading, dangerous and soulless. (For the designer it's a great education - thinking about how to draw a building that can't be used to kill oneself or others is very taxing...)

Dell, we shouldn't project our view of how prison would affect the mental state of rational, thoughtful people onto the experience of hardened people accustomed to the penal system. The poor unfortunates who can't cope are the ones for whom we design out ligature points and unsupervised blindspots. Prison merely encourages and exacerbates pack mentality and 'top dog' supremacy in the gang leaders- on reflection because of that I would agree it isn't necessarily the answer to punish the looters and violent by putting them in prison as it serves no purpose and may not be the most effective deterrent. Some corrective treatment is necessary... however you address 'correction'.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
FM, without resorting to inference or introducing external sources, what would you do with the people caught setting fire to property, looting and injuring people?
[On a side issue, please do not call rational, but frustrated people fascists, it's beneath you.]

Prosecute them using the laws that exist. What would you expect? And why would you think that I'd need 'external sources' or 'inference' for that?

[And by the way, it is not only unhelpful it is actually profoundly dangerous to encourage people to demand fascist solutions at difficult times like this. So thanks for your advice, but far from being 'beneath me' (or anyone else), it's actually even more important to challenge these things at times like this and to retain a strong sense of justice and dignity - or there is nothing worth defending]

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Prosecute them using the laws that exist. What would you expect? And why would you think that I'd need 'external sources' or 'inference' for that?

[And by the way, it is not only unhelpful it is actually profoundly dangerous to encourage people to demand fascist solutions at difficult times like this. So thanks for your advice, but far from being 'beneath me' (or anyone else), it's actually even more important to challenge these things at times like this and to retain a strong sense of justice and dignity - or there is nothing worth defending]
Since when did strong justice equate to Facism?
What you are suggesting is a gentle approach that will re-enforce there beliefs that they are untouchable.
Sometimes the only way to deal with a bully is to hit him so hard he doesn't want to get up again.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Dell, we shouldn't project our view of how prison would affect the mental state of rational, thoughtful people onto the experience of hardened people accustomed to the penal system. The poor unfortunates who can't cope are the ones for whom we design out ligature points and unsupervised blindspots. Prison merely encourages and exacerbates pack mentality and 'top dog' supremacy in the gang leaders- on reflection because of that I would agree it isn't necessarily the answer to punish the looters and violent by putting them in prison as it serves no purpose and may not be the most effective deterrent. Some corrective treatment is necessary... however you address 'correction'.
well what I wrote was.......

Streatham Hill all quiet. Now that Cameron's convoy has passed through on its way to Croydon. Why didn't he take the train?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace

That's reassuring, I'm pleased

I think you're replying [in parentheses] to a conversation we haven't had by implying I would encourage fascist solutions???

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Since when did strong justice equate to Facism?

At the risk of repeating myself, that comment was made initially in response to someone who demanded that rioters be disappeared into gulags, not to you. You stepped in to suggest that this was the only alternative to 'cuddles'.

What you are suggesting is a gentle approach that will re-enforce there beliefs that they are untouchable.

Am I? Where did I say that? You seem to be completely ignoring everything I have said and are making up things I haven't said that suit you.

Sometimes the only way to deal with a bully is to hit him so hard he doesn't want to get up again.

Once again, you are confusing an individual response with what the state should or shouldn't do. They just aren't comparable.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
At the risk of repeating myself, that comment was made initially in response to someone who demanded that rioters be disappeared into gulags, not to you. You stepped in to suggest that this was the only alternative to 'cuddles'.

Am I? Where did I say that? You seem to be completely ignoring everything I have said and are making up things I haven't said that suit you.

Once again, you are confusing an individual response with what the state should or shouldn't do. They just aren't comparable.
Please explain what you are suggesting.
I believe the bully analogy is a good one. No fear of the law means lawless behaviour. Fear of the law could well result in less of this type of crime.

Top Bottom