London riots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Please explain what you are suggesting.

About what?

I believe the bully analogy is a good one. No fear of the law means lawless behaviour. Fear of the law could well result in less of this type of crime.

But do you really think that fear is the best basis for a good society in which we'd all be happy living? How many nations in the world can you name where fear results in such a good society?

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Cameron's big society at large FFS

http://twitpic.com/63k6tg

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
About what?

But do you really think that fear is the best basis for a good society in which we'd all be happy living? How many nations in the world can you name where fear results in such a good society?
About your solution to the mob problem.
Ok for starters most European Police are routinly armed. Morality should be the core of any society but when morality is gone and groups of youths terrorise neighbourhoods strong words are not a solution. Then we need a strong Police Force (not service) to give these fearists a reality check.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I was saying that none of us should be encouraging all this overheated authoritarian rhetoric, and that we should be challenging it. So that is what I will continue to do.

Then you are to be applauded!

Sometimes I assume you are implying or expressing an opinion when you aren't, I should have learnt by now to take each word literally and not to make such assumptions.

Bluebell72

Ironically, claiming that rioting is terrorism is a perfect demonstration of ideological posturing.

No posturing or irony. Being stateside, have you a full grasp of irony? :whistle:

Rioting is terrorism, in plain English. Look at the people who are homeless/jobless as a result of the riots. They are terrorised by the actions of others.
Like the London bombings of July 2005, and the IRA campaign, people are terrorised into changing their behaviour, their daily route to work, mode of transport, the time they go out in the evening, or whether they go out at all.

That's terrorised in my book.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
so...after 25 pages what does seem clear is that none of us have the answer...so what hope do we have that another group of people, that are in a position to govern, will do either.

Perhaps these kids are smarter than we give credit.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Cameron's big society at large FFS

http://twitpic.com/63k6tg

just a load of coppers in civvies! :thumbsup:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
No posturing or irony. Being stateside, have you a full grasp of irony? :whistle:

Rioting is terrorism, in plain English. Look at the people who are homeless/jobless as a result of the riots. They are terrorised by the actions of others.
Like the London bombings of July 2005, and the IRA campaign, people are terrorised into changing their behaviour, their daily route to work, mode of transport, the time they go out in the evening, or whether they go out at all.

Amen to that!

Ectually it was the upper crust who spied for the Ruskies. People like the Queen's art adviser...

Or the shipwrights caught trying to sell a classified acoustic submarine tile to the Ruskies, or the draughtsman who was arrested at work after classified drawings of submarines went missing, or the electrician who was going to sabotage the nuclear reactor of a sub. (FFS! lucky he was caught in time.) That's just some of the ones we know about. All good working class "salt of the earth" types.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I don't think a fear of punishment is the answer. There are always going to people who don't care about the punishment, no matter how bad it is and also those who work on the basis of not getting caught in the first place.
Neither extreme, of cuddles or gulag, is good and I think would probably lead to bigger problems further along the line.

A respect for the law and for the community might help but don't know how to get that back in to the minds of those who lack it.

I know when I worked with young offenders in hostels many really couldn't care less about their past or where they were going in the future. They also tended not to care about the consequences of their actions. Very few I met were regretful of their actions and hopeful for a better life.

I have no answers, then or now, but there was unrest only about 2-3 miles from me today.

I worry a little but on my street there are no shops to loot so I might be safe.
I'll be very aware of my folks going shopping though.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist

Terrorism is defined by its aims not by the results. Volcanic eruptions terrify people but a volcanic eruption is not terrorism. Terrorism is defined as seeking to achieve political change through violence and intimidation. However terrifying these riots are, and I have no doubt that they are, the rioters are clearly not at all politically motivated, not are the riots directed at any particular political end.

Indeed, but just because people are afraid and change their behaviour, that still doesn't make the riots, 'terrorism'. You can't redefine words to suit you, they have meanings.

Night Train is right in what he says and has realy summed up the people and present situation. However we do some how have to protect our selves in the present and if that means building Gulags for now even though we know that they will created problems in the future so be it. It may at least give us a breathing space to sort some things out.

Top Bottom