London to Brighton night ride, March 6th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thoughts on the best route from Liverpool Street to HPC ? I'm not a regular rider in London so lost for what's a safe route or not?

A while since I've done it, but I believe the following route should work.

Leave Liverpool Street to the south along Old Broad Street.

Veer to the right into Threadneedle Street and straight across Bank junction into Queen Victoria Street.

You then want to fork right at Mansion House junction into Cannon Street.

Wide open spaces here, so you could take to the pavement on the right hand side and push for 100m or so.

Once in Cannon Street, it's a fairly straight run past St Paul's, down Ludgate Hill, bit of a pull up Fleet Street, and flatish along the Strand to Trafalgar Square.

Pop under Admiralty Arch, then along The Mall to Buckingham Palace.

Right fork up Constitution Hill, which will take you to Hyde Park Corner.

Wellington Arch, where I believe they meet, is directly in front of you.

Typical central London ride, passing one world class point of interest after another, after another.

Jellied Eel

Regular
Hi All, I'd heard rumours of a night ride on the 6th but then heard nothing more until a friend text me last night saying it was still to go ahead. Sorry to be so behind with the times can I still sign up? Done loads of FNRTTC and have been wondering how I could possibly go on living without my Friday night fix!

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Hi All, I'd heard rumours of a night ride on the 6th but then heard nothing more until a friend text me last night saying it was still to go ahead. Sorry to be so behind with the times can I still sign up? Done loads of FNRTTC and have been wondering how I could possibly go on living without my Friday night fix!
have a look here
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/london-to-brighton-night-ride-march-6th.172399/

This won't be an official FNRttC, but a ride run as a Fridays ride. It will be in a similar spirit (no one left behind) and at similar pace. This also means that the club's outrageous annual memerbership fee of 2 pounds needs to be paid on the night. You'll also need to be a CTC / BC member.

Please send and email to o dot storbeck , including your CTC number, full name and mobile phone to o dot storbeck at gmail dot com. Please also acknowledge you have read the basics:http://fnrttc.blogspot.com/p/basics_05.html

Last edited:

Liam 68

Regular
sorry I can't do it now - something has cone up - hope to join you again sometime...
thanks anyway,,,
Liam

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Anyone have a good route back from Brighton to Victoria?
I tend to follow the cycle-path to Crawley, then time-trial the A road to Reigate and from there on in I'm happy with the A217/A24 into central London. But the Crawley to Reigate bit is a bit shabby. Any better ideas?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Anyone have a good route back from Brighton to Victoria?
I tend to follow the cycle-path to Crawley, then time-trial the A road to Reigate and from there on in I'm happy with the A217/A24 into central London. But the Crawley to Reigate bit is a bit shabby. Any better ideas?

I will be cycling back, over Devils Dyke, cross country to Handcross, Pease Pottage then the A23 through Crawley, Gatwick and to Redhill. It's a bit shabby but it's a nice and fast way home. Will then stay on to the A23 to Croydon, where you can take it all the way into the smoke.

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Andrew B
Anne M
Charles B
Chris B (please send email)
David H
David P
Eddie C
Fred S
Gordon P
Greg T
Ian R
Jane L
Jason B
Jeremy C
Julie G
John M
Kevin E
Lee W (STILL need mail w/ CTC details!)
Louise M (please send details)
Malcom S
Martin B
Martin W
Matthew W
Mice
Mick B
Mike E
Nigel C
Olaf S (me)
Peter L
Rob H
Rob Ho
Ross C
Simon L
Simon R
Steve R
Stuart A
Susie F
Tim D
Tim H
Titus H
Tom F

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I will be cycling back, over Devils Dyke, cross country to Handcross, Pease Pottage then the A23 through Crawley, Gatwick and to Redhill. It's a bit shabby but it's a nice and fast way home. Will then stay on to the A23 to Croydon, where you can take it all the way into the smoke.
Sounds a plan.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Sent an email a few days ago. Haven't heard anything back and I'm not on the list. I see you've already got more than the 40 you wanted. Oversubscribed?

Thoughts on the best route from Liverpool Street to HPC ? I'm not a regular rider in London so lost for what's a safe route or not?

Happy to show you the way if you want, and if I'm coming.

rb58

Enigma
Bl**dy Devil's Dyke.

rb58

Enigma
A while since I've done it, but I believe the following route should work.

Leave Liverpool Street to the south along Old Broad Street.

Veer to the right into Threadneedle Street and straight across Bank junction into Queen Victoria Street.

You then want to fork right at Mansion House junction into Cannon Street.

Wide open spaces here, so you could take to the pavement on the right hand side and push for 100m or so.

Once in Cannon Street, it's a fairly straight run past St Paul's, down Ludgate Hill, bit of a pull up Fleet Street, and flatish along the Strand to Trafalgar Square.

Pop under Admiralty Arch, then along The Mall to Buckingham Palace.

Right fork up Constitution Hill, which will take you to Hyde Park Corner.

Wellington Arch, where I believe they meet, is directly in front of you.

Typical central London ride, passing one world class point of interest after another, after another.
It might sound counter intuitive, but I'd head south from Liverpool St and over London Bridge then bear right at Borough Market along Southwark Street and keep going until you get to Westminster Bridge. (if you can manage it, turn right at the traffic lights in Stamford Street into Cornwall Road, then left along Upper Ground, under Waterloo Bridge and straight on to Westminster Bridge). Pop over the bridge, round Parliament Sq and up Birdcage Walk and Constitution Hill. It's a quieter route and avoids The Strand and Trafalgar Square, which both can be very busy on a Friday night, and is no further.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
It might sound counter intuitive, but I'd head south from Liverpool St and over London Bridge then bear right at Borough Market along Southwark Street and keep going until you get to Westminster Bridge. (if you can manage it, turn right at the traffic lights in Stamford Street into Cornwall Road, then left along Upper Ground, under Waterloo Bridge and straight on to Westminster Bridge). Pop over the bridge, round Parliament Sq and up Birdcage Walk and Constitution Hill. It's a quieter route and avoids The Strand and Trafalgar Square, which both can be very busy on a Friday night, and is no further.
+1. Longer, but definitely a bit quieter.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I take it this is to arrive for about midnight.

Not sure I'd want to be stooging around on a bicycle in the likes of Borough, Waterloo and Lambeth at that time.

Top Bottom