England : East Sussex London to Brighton Veteran Cars Run, Sunday 6 November 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlexB

Veteran
Ah the A23. The last time I did this which is a few years ago, I just tucked in between a couple of crocks for the final run into Brighton which protected me from traffic. Can't remember how I'd ended up on my own, probably cos no one likes me. :sad:

I did the same thing, sandwiched between two cars and chatting to the passengers. We had a lane pretty much entirely to ourselves. I agree that it's intimidating, the quieter route is much better.

rb58

Enigma
I'm toying with starting at HPC. But will aim to be at EC at the appropriate time. Or not. Or Purley, Or somewhere on the route.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A tip for those thinking of getting the train back from Brighton.

When I did it, the machine offered two different single fares, £13.50 and about £16.

Turned out they relate to different operators.

I bought the most expensive one which was a good move because my next available train was at the higher price.

You could select the train from the departure board first, check the operator, then select the correct ticket at the machine.

I grasped this at the time, but having gone straight to the machine, and with a bike to shepherd, it seemed simplest to get the ticket bought to save further research and having to rejoin the queue for the ticket machine.

rb58

Enigma
A tip for those thinking of getting the train back from Brighton.

When I did it, the machine offered two different single fares, £13.50 and about £16.

Turned out they relate to different operators.

I bought the most expensive one which was a good move because my next available train was at the higher price.

You could select the train from the departure board first, check the operator, then select the correct ticket at the machine.

I grasped this at the time, but having gone straight to the machine, and with a bike to shepherd, it seemed simplest to get the ticket bought to save further research and having to rejoin the queue for the ticket machine.
No ticket needed to ride back. Just sayin'. :-)

ozboz

Guru
Myself and Ms 'boz are really considering this ride , weve yet to join a group effort , now, not wanting to sound like a wimp ,
I have recently been tabbed as having tendon and ligament probs in the Gluteous region of my left leg due mainly to muscle mass loss, it has been quite a painfull experience , but riding on a relatively flat surface I could do this , esp if we joined at Crawley ,
I have only drove along the A23 once and did not pay much attention to any up and downs ,
so are there any hilly bits i may struggle on ?

U

User10571

Myself and Ms 'boz are really considering this ride , weve yet to join a group effort , now, not wanting to sound like a whimp ,
I have recently been tabbed as having tendon and ligament probs in the Gluteous region of my left leg due mainly to muscle mass loss, it has been quite a painfull experience , but riding on a relatively flat surface I could do this , esp if we joined at Crawley ,
I have only drove along the A23 once and did not pay much attention to any up and downs ,
You will climb when going into Redhill (clue is in the name)
and you will climb when crossing the South Downs.
Neither of which should put you off.
They aren't game changers.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Myself and Ms 'boz are really considering this ride , weve yet to join a group effort , now, not wanting to sound like a whimp ,
Scroll up thread to my post for a link to a map gpx file and a pic of the ride profile. It does look worse then it is but if you are cycling at your own comfortable pace then it shouldn't be a problem.

Top Bottom