England : East Sussex London to Brighton Veteran Cars Run, Sunday 6 November 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I cannot find that @ianrauk ,and @User
Is it on ths OS map ?
http://www.westsussex.info/clayton-map.shtml

Ian's route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/17389415

The stiff climbing begins at mile 38, near the village of Clayton.

The general point being that you are going south and the South Downs run east/west, so you have to clamber over them one way or another.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Many thanks !!
On the day is this a CC thing or are there lots from other groups , clubs etc ?
Is there a place where all CC bods
Meet at the end of the day ?

As I have said up thread a couple of times. It's not a group ride per se. There are lots of cyclists on the roads, mainly strung out. Some meet at HPC, some meet at EC or elsewhere. At the halfway point at Crawley where the cars take a break is probably your best bet for bumping into others if you didn't hook up at the start places.
A few of us end up at the Fish and Chip place on the beach to the left of the Pier whilst other go elsewhere or head off home.

Tim Hall

@ozboz, the traditional coffee stop in Crawley is the small Portuguese cafe down Church Walk, an alley off the High Street leading eastwards (that's left as you head to Brighton) towards the Church. Fabulous Pastais de Nata. High Street is rammed as it's a pit stop for the old cars, so plenty of chance to see the cars and smell the oil.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Does that mean you'll be taking the flatter detour that Adrian suggests.

I will go wherever @Fab Foodie takes me.

Ahem, within the bounds of reason....:smile:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
There's nothing too taxing to worry about, honest! I'm hardly hill-climbing material myself.....

Clayton hill itself isn't too bad, but the subsequent sudden short climb after the right turn off that road usually defeats me.

Ok, I've written that down and the names of those who said it. Just in case I need to discuss this matter further on the day....:whistle:

For those that are new to the ride, here's a RideWithGPS link that you can download the gps or tcx that follows the route from East Croydon Station to Brighton.

A couple of safety pointers.

Safety advice #1
After descending Clayton Hill into Pycombe. The cars carry on following the A23 down into Brighton. Unless you are super confident at mixing with very fast traffic on a dual carriage way that is more motorway, it's best avoided. Instead, do a right into South Downs Way just after mile 39 (check the map linked), mindful of traffic behind and ahead, turning right and gear low for a little climb up. Follow the road up hill and down, follow it round until you get to the cycle path that runs alongside the A23 all the way until after the roundabout. (The map shows the route as running on the A23. Don't worry, it is the cycle path next to it.). It's very easy to miss the turning due the fast descent so have your wits about you.

Safety advice #2
It is great fun mixing with the crocks and the interaction with the drivers and passengers is usually quite fun and jolly. However, the majority of the vehicles brakes are quite rudimentary. If you are in front of a crock (at a junction or lights etc), be aware that they can take a very long time to stop. If you a drafting they can suddenly slow down/come to a stop due to other vehicles and traffic or suffer a mechanical, especially on the hills.

Toot Toot
See you on the road or at the Fish and Chip place on the beach.

View attachment 149381
All great advice. Recommended reading particularly for first timers.

Top Bottom