London to Kent Coast Thursday 5th March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Leave Cutty Sark Gardens early - head for either Leysdown, Sandwich or Deal. Back by train. Probably one break for elevenses en route at Rochester or Faversham.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Tempting... tempting... Mind you, I still haven't recovered from our last ride out. Suspect you are somewhat fitter than I :biggrin:

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Why thursday? It's so frustrating to see a new ride that I would like to join only for it to be mid week.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
topcat1 said:
Why thursday? It's so frustrating to see a new ride that I would like to join only for it to be mid week.

Thursday is when User10571 and I can make it. And there's loads of rides at the weekend.....check out steve's ride from Hertford, and
http://www.aqvm78.dsl.pipex.com/SWLDA/RunsLists/current.htm
for rides at the weekend.

We are going this way on the night of May 8th for an fnrttc, and probably again in the same month for a s(saturday)mrttc

arallsopp

So... is this going to be an "Andy chases behind Dellzeqq as fast as he can trying to to put out the tarmac" type ride, or is there a chance we could take things a little more leisurely?

Reason I ask, I owe a 200km ride for my LEL training. I'm fair tempted to ride up to Greenwich to meet you, then ride with you down to Deal, grab a little sustenance, then pootle back up to Gillingham.

Train from there to Bromley South sees Andy home in good time, and with 200km under his belt. Only thing stopping me at the moment is the thought that the first ~130km will be Dellzeqq pace. On the plus side, on the 3 days since our last ride out, I'm now averaging 22.4kph (13.9mph) on the commute up and over Crystal Palace. I reckon sans traffic, I can probably hold a good 14 :angry:

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
What time are you meeting up? I've now got thurs off and i'm looking forward to this.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think we're starting at 7. I'll ask.

We're not going to set any records. And the route will be a delight. And, sorry, but I think we're going to Sandwich, which is just up the road from Deal, but prettier.

(edit) 8. at the entrance to Cutty Sark Gardens)

arallsopp

Sandwich works for me. Hope to catch you at the start then. Hmmm... Cutty Sark Gardens... That must be the paved / decked bit opposite The Gipsy Moth(?)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well, TC1 arrived at 8.12, we had left at 8.10, and he set off in pursuit, catching us (User10571, myself and arallsop), just in time, in Woolwich.

That was really very pleasant. A cold start, and, while it never really warmed up, when the sun came out it was cheery. User10571 and I led the way down to Faversham, along our well-worn route, which looked dazzling under clear skies, and then he took us south east in a loop that avoided the hill at Dunkirk. We had breakfast at Andy's in Rochester, and a snack at Selling where the sun was so bright we ate al fresco.

From Canterbury we took NCN1 which was pretty, but very muddy for the last seven miles or so, and we arrived in Sandwich in decent shape for tea. So, with apologies to bonj, this was a CTC ride in the cafe-to-cafe sense.

The train back was delayed, and delayed some more, so TC1 and I got home after dark, while User10571 and arallsop went for a further pootle up the coast to Ramsgate.

arallsopp

Sorry. I had no idea it would be so beautiful, else I would have brought a camera along. Travelling low through quiet lanes, verdant banks to left and right, faces warmed by the strobe of sunlight through trees. I've been heading over to France to catch this kind of scenery so was amazed to find it within 50 miles of home.

It was a perfect route, and very well led. The company was marvellous. The miles plenty. The scenery stunning.

A low sun left me chasing my shadow into Ramsgate, tailing User10571 to a better rail service. When we rolled up at the station, I was 340 metres short of 100 miles. We timed it nicely to maximise the wait for a train, got a cup of tea, and arrived back in Bromley minutes before 7. I was home shortly after, with that nice 'been somewhere done something' tingle to my skin.

Cheers for an excellent day all.

Top Bottom