Looking for flattish 100 mile route on roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
I'd like to do my first 100 mile road ride, preferably before the end of the year. Have done 70 milers both on road and off (TPT Leeds to Chesterfield) and have done the 215 mile TPT coast to coast in 4 days. Definitely getting fitter, but I want to step up to my first century.

Hours of darkness are becoming limited so I'm looking for a flattish route. I live South Yorkshire, near Barnsley. Ideally a circular route, or happy to get on a train to somewhere and cycle home.

The OpenCycle Map shows cycle routes but most of those will be questionable surfaces. I reckon I need to aim for an average of 12 to 14 mph so I need decent surfaces. I could just pick roads from OpenStreetMap but would be better if someone already has a route with roads that are good to cycle on.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Hull southwards. After the bridge and the climb out of Barton on Humber it is flat for miles and miles. Aim for Spalding or similar, get the train home.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Ok thanks. I created a circular route from home.

Only hills to speak of are into Barnsley at start and end. 3600 ft climb in 100 miles.

I didn't fancy cycling on the dual carriageway between Barnsley and Doncaster so opted for the TPT. East of Doncaster it's all minor roads I think.

Would welcome local knowledge, any places to avoid, unsafe roads, etc.

http://my.viewranger.com/route/preview/NjA1MDk=

Ok thanks. I created a circular route from home.

Only hills to speak of are into Barnsley at start and end. 3600 ft climb in 100 miles.

I didn't fancy cycling on the dual carriageway between Barnsley and Doncaster so opted for the TPT. East of Doncaster it's all minor roads I think.

Would welcome local knowledge, any places to avoid, unsafe roads, etc.

http://my.viewranger.com/route/preview/NjA1MDk=
I cant see this ride with out signing up, I was wondering if you had done this yet.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
I cant see this ride with out signing up, I was wondering if you had done this yet.

Hi. Yeah should be visible publicly. I'll check.

Happy to send GPX. PM me your email addy.

Of course if anyone fancies joining me for it that would be great. I'm not fast, expecting to average somewhere around 12mph so 8 hours plus stops, probably 10 hours all told. I'm happy to start from Barnsley, Worksop, Bawtry ... Anywhere around that area.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My 1st 100 took me from Dewsbury-Selby then York through to Wetherby. The bit from Wakefield-Selby-York-Wetherby was pretty flat.

It only got hilly as I went from Wetherby to Bradford and back to Dewsbury.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It seems OK, although if you wanted on-road you could use the A635 from Stairfoot to Doncaster, which isn't that busy. The TPT may be very muddy at this time of year?

Otherwise it's pretty flat and fine.

It seems OK, although if you wanted on-road you could use the A635 from Stairfoot to Doncaster, which isn't that busy. The TPT may be very muddy at this time of year?

Otherwise it's pretty flat and fine.
I would just stay on the road, traffic never bothers me, gets a bit close sometimes though.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I'd like to do my first 100 mile road ride, preferably before the end of the year. Have done 70 milers both on road and off (TPT Leeds to Chesterfield) and have done the 215 mile TPT coast to coast in 4 days. Definitely getting fitter, but I want to step up to my first century.

Hours of darkness are becoming limited so I'm looking for a flattish route. I live South Yorkshire, near Barnsley. Ideally a circular route, or happy to get on a train to somewhere and cycle home.

The OpenCycle Map shows cycle routes but most of those will be questionable surfaces. I reckon I need to aim for an average of 12 to 14 mph so I need decent surfaces. I could just pick roads from OpenStreetMap but would be better if someone already has a route with roads that are good to cycle on.

I think with the 70 milers you have allready done a century will be no problem . Good Luck and enjoy the ride .

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I did the falt out in the fens earlier in the year, flat flat flat and REALLY boring! You dont go uphill, but you dont get the rest downhill either. And with that ride after you have seen your first 10 miles of turnip farms the next 90 are all very similar!

Dont head for the flat, just avoid hills.

Top Bottom