Lycra Rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goggs

Guru
I don't know if this is a roadie thing or a French thing but when I'm out & about I never get any acknowledgement from roadie types. When I pass commuters, utility cyclists, shoppers & tourists we all say bonjour to each other, a cheery smile or a wave too usually. But roadies? Not once have they even nodded at my existence. I can understand those who are on a mission, totally focused on going as fast as possible, but many are not really racers. They have road bikes & they're kitted out in full-on team lycra but they're clearly not super-fit athletes trying to scrape tenths off here & there. They just seem to have an awful lot of money to spend on gear that's not really suitable for them. It really is quite depressing to see.

Sorry, rant over.

winjim

Smash the cistern
:hello:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hooray.....another poor needy soul.

Cycle Chat bingo. Here you go.

kerching.jpg

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My goodness, I never realised I was stirring up so much ire by daring to ride a road bike while not actually being in, or indeed training for a real race. AND for having the audacity to wear cycling clothing optimised for being on a bike saddle! My apologies sir.

I wave at, and say hello to everyone by the way, even peasants in stripey jerseys and berets riding onion seller's bikes. :hello:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I don't know if this is a roadie thing or a French thing but when I'm out & about I never get any acknowledgement from roadie types. When I pass commuters, utility cyclists, shoppers & tourists we all say bonjour to each other, a cheery smile or a wave too usually. But roadies? Not once have they even nodded at my existence. I can understand those who are on a mission, totally focused on going as fast as possible, but many are not really racers. They have road bikes & they're kitted out in full-on team lycra but they're clearly not super-fit athletes trying to scrape tenths off here & there. They just seem to have an awful lot of money to spend on gear that's not really suitable for them. It really is quite depressing to see.

Sorry, rant over.
Making a lot of assumptions there aren't you?

davidphilips

Veteran
what i find if i am on a bike with straight bars and i am wearing jeans very few cyclists wave yet if i am on a road bike and cycling gear on most wave, if i pass road cyclists and i am on a road bike with cycling clothing on most say hi and away i go but if i pass guys in road bikes when wearing jeans and on anything but a racing bike its a bit like waving a red flag at a bull they go into race mode all great fun.
i like to see other cyclists even if its someone on an old bike not worth a pound or a group of cyclists that have spent thousands on the latest gear, only thing i find a bit depressing is when i see so many cars with only the driver in them, they could be cycling saving fuel having exercise and having fun, plenty of time at lifes end to be in a box.

Top Bottom