Lycra Rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I find most cyclist wave or nod to me, no matter what I am riding, I also wear Lycra for every ride, after all it is what cycling was invented for.

Who's generalising? It's an absolute truth around here that lycra-clad roadies never ever acknowledge others. And it is either a French thing or a relatively new thing because I rode for SRCC and was a long-time member of the CTC way back & it never happened then.
I emphatically state that it is not a French thing. I am not French and I never wave when I'm in Lycra. And it is not new either, my mates and I decide to hate all non-Lycra wannabes way back in the eighties already.

Who's generalising? It's an absolute truth around here that lycra-clad roadies never ever acknowledge others. And it is either a French thing or a relatively new thing because I rode for SRCC and was a long-time member of the CTC way back & it never happened then.
I wave to most, I wear lycra simply because its the most suitable clothing for riding, I wear non de-scripted cycling shirts, but then I wear lycra most of the time i.e. leggings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
I wear lycra too, albeit underneath MTB outer shorts. I have absolutely nothing against lycra. I only used it in the title for the sake of brevity and the fact that the one thing the people I'm talking about do have in common is that they're dressed head-to-toe in lycra.

I don't think where I live is particularly representative of France though, never mind the wider world. There is a lot of conspicuous consumption hereabouts.

screenman

Legendary Member
No! Not baggies over Lycra or worse still over leggings, my wife has a name for guys with that style, not one they would like though.

My lad has lived in your area for quite a while.

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
I wear what I wear because I cycle as a means to an end. I don't just go out on the bike and then come home. Walking around a pub wearing lycra shorts is not cool.

Oldbloke

Guru

Perhaps it's just a Provence thing with wealthy Southerners. Most roadies acknowledge each other round here in the NorthWest...

Top Bottom