Lycra Rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
I don't know if this is a roadie thing or a French thing but when I'm out & about I never get any acknowledgement from roadie types. When I pass commuters, utility cyclists, shoppers & tourists we all say bonjour to each other, a cheery smile or a wave too usually. But roadies? Not once have they even nodded at my existence. I can understand those who are on a mission, totally focused on going as fast as possible, but many are not really racers. They have road bikes & they're kitted out in full-on team lycra but they're clearly not super-fit athletes trying to scrape tenths off here & there. They just seem to have an awful lot of money to spend on gear that's not really suitable for them. It really is quite depressing to see.

Sorry, rant over.

Why do you care? Do you need validation from other cyclists to enjoy your cycling?

I say hi to everyone.

Except for desperate needy people who cry on forums when people don't greet them, obviously.

It is funny. For example when I meet another cyclist I like to stop and tango for 20 minutes. Obviously it's hard if they're a northerner because they're drunk and don't smell very nice. I can't do it with mountain bikers because it's a bit weird dancing with children. I try and avoid dancing with people riding single speed as if they're not capable of understanding gears they'd never be able to tango properly. I do get wary of dancing with women as most can't control themselves and sorry ladies (and @User ) but I'm happily married and you do seem to get carried away mid tango.

This is also why I avoid Lycra as it just makes all of you feel inadequate.

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
[QUOTE 4482180, member: 259"]Deep breath and relax. I've been told by more than one French person that one of the things they like about the British is their chilled attitude and the fact they don't feel they have to shake everyone's hand every time they come back from the bog.[/QUOTE]

I generally don't give a shite what anyone thinks about anything but since moving to a foreign land I've been trying to make an effort. I'll now stop on your advice.

http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/2010/07/brer_rabbit_meets_a_tar_baby.html
"Are you deaf or just rude?" demanded Brer Rabbit, losing his temper. "I can't stand folks that are stuck up! You take off that hat and say 'Howdy-do' or I'm going to give you such a lickin'!"
The Tar Baby just sat in the middle of the road looking as cute as a button and saying nothing at all.
"I'll learn ya!" Brer Rabbit yelled. He took a swing at the cute little Tar Baby and his paw got stuck in the tar.
"Lemme go or I'll hit you again," shouted Brer Rabbit. The Tar Baby, she said nothing.
"Fine! Be that way," said Brer Rabbit, swinging at the Tar Baby with his free paw. Now both his paws were stuck in the tar.
"I'm gonna kick the stuffin' out of you," Brer Rabbit said and pounced on the Tar Baby with both feet. They sank deep into the Tar Baby. Brer Rabbit was so furious he head-butted the cute little creature until he was completely covered with tar and unable to move.

ayceejay

Guru
What we are all missing here is the tightness and the connection between lycra around the ball area that is compromised when a hand is raised that makes the lycra clad wave with a grimace understandable. It is often accompanied by that sound only a cat makes when spewing up a hairball.

Top Bottom