Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
They have two bookable spaces per train. Once they're booked you either have to book another train or turn up and hope the train manager will use his discretion in letting you on with a bike.

Certainly when I rode this train there were at least 8-10 bikes onboard

I'd seriously advise getting that bike reservation rather than throwing yourself on the mercy of the conductor. On my last jaunt to the Wales FNRttC, the conductor was all for throwing me off the train - until I pointed out that I was the only cyclist with the reservation. I have to confess that it took some self control to refrain from a Nelson Muntz "Ha Ha!" at his look of disappointment when I then produced said reservation...

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Train Ticket info.....but I'm not expert on these so please check yourselves

Quick heads up that train tickets for April 25/26 go on sale in the next few days (13 weeks maximum booking period is this weekend).

Cheaper Advance tickets should go on sale the following weekend (ie 12 weeks). The savings on these are large Llandudno - Manchester but I don't know for other routes. Bike spaces, according to Arriva Wales will become bookable 12 weeks in advance - not this weekend, next weekend

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Thanks. I played around with the booking system for Llandudno - Manchester to see what it was like now.

Today you can book up to April 23 - that is exactly 13 weeks so presumably the April 25 tickets will go on sale on January 25

The cheaper Advance tickets today are only available up to Sunday April 12. They seem to be released in 1 week blocks at the weekend so this weekend they will release up to April 19, next weekend up to April 26

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm going to Wilmslow Saturday pm and have a couple of hours to kill so I'm planning to ride out to Marbury CP and recce the tea van. If anyone fancies meeting up there for a cuppa* PM me and we'll try to sort timings

*The suggestion of a cuppa of course presupposes that the tea van is actually there, which is the purpose of the recce

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
After telling the wife I am going to Llandudno , she has decided she want to visit also, so I am planning to drive there on the Friday and have a day out with the wife and daughter and get the train back in the evening, and so the car will hopefully still be there when we arrive on Sat eve.
The only down side is having to cycle to Manchester in the morning making it a 120mile ride in total.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
After telling the wife I am going to Llandudno , she has decided she want to visit also, so I am planning to drive there on the Friday and have a day out with the wife and daughter and get the train back in the evening, and so the car will hopefully still be there when we arrive on Sat eve.
The only down side is having to cycle to Manchester in the morning making it a 120mile ride in total.

I'd train it into Mcr on Saturday morning. That's what I'm doing from Glossop, 97 miles is enough for me and, like for you, the ride into Mcr isn't particularly pleasant. You'd get into Victoria but it's only about a mile ride to Piccadilly from there

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I'd train it into Mcr on Saturday morning. That's what I'm doing from Glossop, 97 miles is enough for me and, like for you, the ride into Mcr isn't particularly pleasant. You'd get into Victoria but it's only about a mile ride to Piccadilly from there

Your right about the not to pleasant a ride into Manchester, it is all down hill (Literally).
Will no doubt train it in as its 20mins on the train and 1hr and 15mins to cycle in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Marbury Country Park tea van recce completed. Two hours into the ride from Mcr so we'll be ready for a bit of a breather there I think

20150124_145231.jpg

Edit - they do snacks as well; paninis, muffins and the like if you're an early starter and getting peckish

Last edited:

mike3121

I would be very interested in joining this ride at the Eureka Cyclist Café which I believe would be the half way point? This ride would be very helpful for my training.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I would be very interested in joining this ride at the Eureka Cyclist Café which I believe would be the half way point? This ride would be very helpful for my training.

You're now on the "Expressions of Interest" list which is on post #1 of this thread.
Eureka is indeed about half way so there's about 50 flat miles to Llandudno from there. We'll be having a stop off at this place in Rhyl to break it up, have a cuppa etc

http://www.bikehubrhyl.uk/

Which is a bike shop with a café attached. It's also staffed by adults with learning disabilities so I would like to give it a bit of support as we cycle past anyway.

Top Bottom