Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ootini

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Although I don't ride fixed I suspect those gradients are too much for something like a 48-18. The idea of the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge will be something like this:

1) Single speed/fixed. You can ride a geared bike but you must select a gearing as close to 48-18 as possible and not change gear
2) I will set the start point and the route
3) You can attempt it whenever you like upon reaching Llandudno and as many times as you like
4) Assuming nobody makes it to the top without stopping, the winner will be the rider who gets furthest up the hill without putting a foot down.
5) Photographic evidence required to show the point on the hill you got to
6) Winner gets a prize of my choosing. Probably some sort of gift certificate redeemable at Fish Tram Chips

Looks like the first km averages 13%. I'd struggle on a geared bike :ohmy:

Last edited:

Ootini

Although I don't ride fixed I suspect those gradients are too much for something like a 48-18. The idea of the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge will be something like this:

1) Only open to single speed/fixed
2) I will set the start point and the route
3) You can attempt it whenever you like upon reaching Llandudno and as many times as you like
4) Assuming nobody makes it to the top without stopping, the winner will be the rider who gets furthest up the hill without putting a foot down.
5) Photographic evidence required to show the point on the hill you got to
6) Winner gets a prize of my choosing. Probably some sort of gift certificate redeemable at Fish Tram Chips

Looks like the first km averages 13%. I'd struggle on a geared bike :ohmy:
I think the max is 27%

KneesUp

Guru
<wonders is a sausage is reason enough to adapt an old bike to a fixed 22-32 and leave it locked up at the bottom of the Orme...>

or is the unwritten rule 7 - it has to be the same bike you rode all day? :smile:

KneesUp

Guru
Sure, it's only a bit of fun.

Now that's going to save me some fettling and get me a sausage.

You'll have to use a gearing as close to a fixed gearing as poss to make it fair

Oh.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Now that's going to save me some fettling and get me a sausage.

Sausages....plural. The prize will be a £5 voucher redeemable at Fish Tram Chips. For that you can get 4 jumbo sausages from the takeaway menu. Celebrate your hill climb win by sharing sausages with your riding buddies

I hope that "sharing sausages with your riding buddies" will not be misconstrued

doughnut

Veteran
While I'm here can I just ask if other riders think I am capable of this or am I biting off more than I can chew,
Longest ride........25 miles
Speed............12mph
Age ...............nearly 50
Weight ...........15 stone.

Will be starting at the eureka cafe.

And what I should be doing to train for this / any locals fancy training rides...?

Tony.
Go for it Tony. Couple of months ago I was in the same boat as you (one 30 mile ride, 12-13mph, age 51, 13.5 stone). As others have said, its just about going out and riding some miles. I've done a few 50 mile routes since then and I'm planning on getting a few 70 mile trips in soon. After finishing a 50 mile ride in very windy and sleeting conditions, I'm now pretty confident that 100 miles in balmy April will be a doddle. I've never ridden with anyone else (except my wife and I've learnt to stay well back from her when she's making any sort of manoeuvre), so I was planning on joining the local club and going on some of their social club rides to find out what that's like. I'm starting from Piccadilly, so planning to do the full 97 miles.

Not going for the sausage though.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
34-28 my arse. Rich will be bringing a triple especially for the sausage comp.
It's a reasonable bet that I'll be on the tourer, given that I may be heading south afterwards. I was merely asking on behalf other, more competitive young 'uns:thumbsup:

Top Bottom