Mid ESSEX February Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Thanks for a great ride in great company! Here's looking forward to the next one...
Oh - Aperitif? You're nuts, mate. Seriously.
Massive respect for cycling from Heathrow!!!! :evil:

2s6tx8z.jpg

Left the house at 08:20 - must remember not to keep leaving the door open...

2zs70vt.jpg

Popped in to ask for a bit of decent weather...

mb1il0.jpg

"good evening i'm from essex
in case you couldn't tell
my given name is Dickie, I come from Billericay
and I'm doing very well..."

195xtv.jpg

BigonaBianchi was doing some impromptu shadow puppetry when I arrived - much to the amusement of ChrisKH and tdr1nka

f3z53n.jpg

The peloton (well, a couple of tons actually) waiting for 'white van men' to jeer at...

2uo6mb5.jpg

Declining a cake at the outset, FFFF relented - "Oh all right then, that tray of doughnuts looks lonely over there..."

f3uutv.jpg

tdr1nka doing what comes naturally...

dvq729.jpg

So we did the Tour, said our goodbyes and I headed back via Brentwood. The best thing about Brentwood is actually leaving it behind.
The second best thing was to see the setting sun - Silhouetting the London City skyline.
This photo does not do it justice but might give a flavour...

n1rmlu.jpg

Came back through the City - all bright and bushy - and very quiet.

akj4i9.jpg

Got to the 'Gherkin' and got a punctu*e. Turned around to find a 64ft cocktail stick in my back tyre.
Actually, it was slow but noticeable - like me, so I pumped it up and continued.
This palaver carried on, through Holborn, St Giles and, deciding to go
Route 1 - Oxford St. Big mistake. Six hours and two thousand buses later I reached Marble Arch. (Remember I was stopping every 2km or so for a quick pump up...) Got to Hounslow without sitting down - I really couldn't be 'bothered' to change. Until.
The slow puncture speeded up and I found myself outside a delicious smelling curry house which was casting adequate light on the pavement. Everyone walking past was speaking in an Eastern European language - but it was the smell of the spices doing
me in...Mmmmmmmm!
Fixed the tyre, cleaned up - it was flat again!
Repeat the sentence above - it happened again. (Continental tubes - having a few issues with them) Not totally flat - again so...
...decided to stand up and ride for the last 5km or so. Took the edge off a lovely day out for me but ho hum, these things happen. Got in, opened the fridge door and sucked hard. Now sustained, I thank BoaB for his organisation and theother riders for their company. It was nice to meet you all.
Total? 204km - including a circuit or two of um Ilford, Romford, Tower Hill etc etc... logical signposting is pants in this part of the world.
My average dropped considerably to 24kph + a bit - given that I was limping home. Up to the Gherkin it was 28+ - thanks to the fast A12.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Nice pics peeps:becool:

...I think riding to/from Heefro + the loop is pretty impressive at the best of times, but when you take into account this was at zero degrees and below...wow...hats off to you mate....ok I'm just trying to find a Bob dylan record here somewhere..:ohmy::wacko:

also lee :sad: & Ianrauk & ilovebikes:becool:.....makes my poxy 40 miles today look small by comparison:smile:

My thanks to you all for coming.:smile:

ChrisKH

Guru
Apologies to anyone who rolled up to my RHS and I ignored them. Deaf as a post in that ear! I think ianrauk had been talking to me for five minutes in the pub before I noticed. Hardened roadie that he is.:smile:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
*Blurghle*
Today I am stuck in bed with the head cold that was looming over my mucus membranes yesterday. My sincerest apologies to anyone I might have passed this on to yesterday.:thumbsup:

Peter

tdr1nka said:
*Blurghle*
Today I am stuck in bed with the head cold that was looming over my mucus membranes yesterday. My sincerest apologies to anyone I might have passed this on to yesterday.;)

Ohhh and I didn't realise you lot were that close...........:thumbsup:
It's a real shame I missed yesterday's ride but I'm quite busy with other things at the moment.
I'm also a fair weather rider :blush:

Top Bottom