Moody cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I experienced the same thing one day last week. Heading into work, on my normal commuting route, and passed 3 "serious" cyclists...(kitted out, down on the drops) going the opposite direction. Middle-aged guys...not going all that fast. I tend to greet everyone on my commute. These blokes wouldn't even acknowledge me! A fella on a HYBRID...with MUDGUARDS and LIGHTS!!! and a LUNCHBOX bungied on! What kind of cyclist is he? ;-)

Saw a workmate, later, who also passed by them, and noticed the same thing that I did. "What was with those guys?" They sure didn't look like they were having any fun.

I guess you'll get a lot of that in the "cycling season" when the REAL cyclists come out.

luplowe said:
some of them think if you aint got a racer you cant be a serious cyclist...

More like - some of them think if you haven't spent a grand on your bike and aren't decked up to the nines in colour-coordinated kit matching the bike, you can't be a serious cyclist, perchance? :ohmy:

Back to the OP - could be a lot of factors. Sometimes folk are just 'in the zone' when cycling. They are concentrating on the traffic.

Or maybe they'd like to wave back, but are scared they'd fall off if they tried!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I wave (or nod at the least) to everyone, pretty much.

I ride a road bike & sport lycra togs, but am also a frivolous cyclist, which could explain it.

red_tom

Be one of the ones that bucks the trend. I always give a smile, a nod of the head or a small wave of the fingers off the brake hoods. Costs you nothing.

If they want to be a miserable old scroat then let that be on their conscience. :ohmy:

Maz

Guru
I normally get a nod of acknowledgment from passing roadies when I'm on my roadbike. They are always in full lycra kit, but you wouldn't catch me dead wearing that - I normally wear knee-length shorts and a hiviz cycling or footie shirt.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
beanzontoast said:
Or maybe they'd like to wave back, but are scared they'd fall off if they tried!

I like to think this is the reason and people that love the same activity as me are not all miserable elitist sods!

I have only passed one 'serious cyclist' recently he was around 45 and decked out in orange lycra, helmet, glasses and a black and orange bike. He just stared at me and it was a quiet country lane, I had to stop and make sure my nuts werent popping out a hole in my lycra or something!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Fixed is sort of rare around here, so when i do see someone on fixed, you normally do get a big smile:becool:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Chonker said:
...perhaps riding a recumbent makes me a cycling leper to be shunned! ;)

I always try to acknowledge other cyclists, and am normally first in with a nod or a wave. I'm recumbent too, and find reactions vary on a few factors:

If I'm on the big orange beastie (an SMGTe rigged for touring) I normally earn a wave back, but the other rider rarely initiates contact. They'll pull alongside at lights and pretend I'm invisible, but as soon as I speak they're eager to respond with lots of questions. My wife says this is because the bent gives the appearance of 'special needs' and they don't want to offend, be unable to understand me, etc.

If I'm on the Furai, fixies and bike enthusiasts are full of questions and interest. Older riders smile and w(e)ave, younger riders race me. There are lots of stop lights on my commute, and the Furai has a different speed profile from the standard DF. From 0-10mph, they'll get me every time, and from 10 - 20 I'll be out of sight somewhere behind. At 25+ I'll sail past, changing up to the big ring as I go, and generally basking in the lack of wind resistance.

At the next set of lights, they'll be all questions again.

bonj2

Roadies are definitely a LOT more miserable. Proper MTBers are very friendly, there will always be a nod, but if stopped then there will invariably be not just a nod but a smile and a few seconds admiring each other's bikes.

Only 1 in 10 the case with roadies, the other 90% will often deliberately look straight ahead and deliberately avoid catching eye contact. Miserable as sin.

The trick is to do the type of nod that isn't a nod towards them in their direction, but a quick flick of the head away from them and back into line, which takes practice, and is usually seen to be done by 'stalwart' cyclists.

Top Bottom