Moody cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Great JtM I am sure my old man has some pringle v necks off of the 70's and he is a medium/large and I am an xl so will be tight enough!

Does the Campionissimo look not clash with bright red handle bar tape and red tyres?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I acknowledge everyone as long as my current condition allows it, didn't see many other cyclists at first, a lot more now weather has improved. Reactions are a mixed bag, but most respond, though some roadies with alarm. I think I confuse them, at a distance, hunched over, in lycra and holding the sides of my butterfly bars, I'm sure they can make a judgement error, unless I have a pannier on. The blanks I've had have been predominately roadies but the most pleasant have also been roadies.

To be fair, if it gets much busier, I may give up on it, couldn't imagine trying to acknowledge all the folks on a city commute.

Scalped a guy on a MTB last week going up hill, country road, lights at the top, said hello on way past. I'm waiting on lights and he comes past, goes up grass verge(no pavement), round cars and through the reds. I scalped him again tonight, same hill, didn't speak to him this time, and lights were with me at the top.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Chonker said:
Hey now, I wasn't saying that, I just thought there'd be more of mutual kinda friendlyness or something, perhaps riding a recumbent makes me a cycling leper to be shunned! :biggrin:

It's not that you're a leper, I reckon, so much as some people just can't see outside the box. On any recumbent ride, you'll get a lot of "wow cool!" type stuff, but there will always be a few people who look straight through you. I think it's because they don't know how to categorize you mentally and that either confuses or embarrasses them. It would be the same if you stood up in a restaurant and started singing.

Rest assured, you're probably having more fun than they are.:blush:

When I was out on the trike on a shake-down ride last weekend, my chain jammed up so I had to pull onto the pavement and turn the trike over to deal with it. A few people cycled past (this is a rural road, just on the edge of the city), including a roadie, none of them even looked at me as far as I can tell, let along offered help (although I was fine dealing with it anyway). On the other hand, once I was going again, I got several thumbs-up from motorbikers.

(I'm not one to expect a nod from every cyclist I pass anyway. In town, there are just too many, and in the country it's easy to get into your own little world and not notice other people)

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I've had a lovely couple of days, with plenty of conversation from roadies near Tooting Bec. Lots of "nice bike", "looks comfortable", etc, and some full on conversations.

I'm still trying to catch the eye of the guy who rides in on a yellow and red steel frame road bike, rear mudguard, IQ cyo front lamp fork mounted, bar mounted cateye backup light, shimano dynohub, assos yellow gear to match his bike. Had him down as an audaxer (dynohub, steel frame, mudguards, spare light) but he doesn't seem to have a beard.

Is becoming conspicuous now, as I ride behind him daily for about 5 miles. My being on a bent means our paces cross a lot, and it doesn't seem nice to open road overtake knowing that as soon as we get into tight traffic he'll want to get past me again.

Who are you, mystery cycle man?

adds21

Rider of bikes
I find it completely depends on the type of road you're on, and, to a certain extent, the time of day.

Cyclists on A roads don't acknowledge each other.
Cyclists on B roads are more lightly to nod or smile. Unless it's been the hours of about 7am and 9am, or 5pm and 7pm.
Cyclists on county lanes will pretty much always nod/smile, usually with a cheery "hello".

At least, that's my experience.

Top Bottom