N ew cycle lights approved

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tyke

I must be missing something. When I am on the bike my Eye level is higher than when I am in the car.

mustang1

Legendary Member
The government is also currently considering options for the enforcement of mandatory cycle lanes by local authorities.

What's mandatory about that? A cycle lane that cyclists must use instead of the rest of the road?

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
If i'm stopped in the ASL - very difficult to see the lights, so some at my level would be great. The next improvement will be for them to go green (bikes) before the main lights do
Some places do have advanced cycle traffic lights, but not many.
Turning right onto a main road from a side road is a particular pig. Cars will very rarely give way to a bike.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
TfL has also been working closely with the department to develop a new junction design that will be used as standard by road planners. This design will include a ‘two-stage’ right turn for cyclists as used in other European countries. The two-stage right turn saves cyclists from attempting to turn across several lanes of traffic. This ‘turn left to turn right’ idea allows bikes to turn left into a dedicated area in advance of the main traffic before completing the turn by going straight across the junction when the lights next change.
This concerns me. If people have to wait twice it gradually strips away the advantages of cycling. What if a cyclist gets hit after attempting the turn in one go as a car driver would, are they then held to be at fault?

Tyke

Generally though (especially on road bike) you can be sitting in a position that your eyes look down or straight, a driver can be sat back in a position where their gaze is over the steering wheel and its easier to look up.
Good point. I look at the far light so never noticed that.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
They have eye-level lights in France. Nothing to do with bikes, the eye-level lights do away with the need for the second set of confirmatory lights after the junction. I suspect that it's more to do with economy.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The government is also currently considering options for the enforcement of mandatory cycle lanes by local authorities.

What's mandatory about that? A cycle lane that cyclists must use instead of the rest of the road?
No - a cycle lane than non-cyclists must not use.

Boris is a complete buffoon and numpty, but my some miracle he's not noticing that his cycle advisers are beginning to come up with some reasonably sensible ideas. Of course, reinstating the Western extension of the congestion charge zone, removing the exemptions for locals and imposing 20mph limits everywhere in central London would be more sensible, but still...

Explained here

Mandatory cycle lanes

Mandatory cycle lanesare cycle lanes by the side of a road, which are generally marked with an unbroken white line separating cyclists from traffic (or possibly by physical separation from the traffic). (TSRGD r. 4; Sch 6, diagram 1049)

Mandatory cycle lanes have some legal force. But this doesn’t mean that it will always be an offence for a motorist to drive across the line.

To create a mandatory cycle lane, it seems that a relevant authority has to pass specific local legislation known as a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO). A motorist who contravenes the TRO will commit an offence (carrying a maximum fine of £1000). But TROs can be quite detailed, and (for example) allow vehicles to cross a mandatory cycle lane to access car parking facilities (which then wouldn’t be an offence). (RTRA ss. 1-8; RTOA Sch 2)

So mandatory cycle lanes should generally keep motorists out, and if a motorist drives into the lane in normal traffic conditions, they’ve probably committed an offence. But this may depend on the details of local legislation.

jonesy

Guru
They had them in France for as long as I can remember. They are very useful for motorists too.

Unlike the French or Spanish low level signals these are cycling -specific,i.e. with the cycle logo aspects only. They aren't intended to be useful for motorists...

mustang1

Legendary Member
Thank you.

I was reading intently until I came across this bit "It’s a murky area" after which I skimmed the rest of the text and didnt really take much in.

Ps: my reply might sound negative against you, or the source, but not meant to be. It's a snark against 'law makers'.

crazyjoe101

Some places do have advanced cycle traffic lights, but not many.
Turning right onto a main road from a side road is a particular pig. Cars will very rarely give way to a bike.

Try just sitting there doing an exaggerated 'right turn' signal and some kind soul will usually stop to allow you to enter a gap in the traffic on the other side of the road.

Top Bottom