Neighbours and property boundaries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
View attachment 130113 Our neighbour behind is happy for us to trim any overhanging plants as required. Don't trim too much as they are so pretty (lucky us) :smile:.
Other neighbour has taken a few liberties :eek: Such as when they were having their front lawn dug up and landscaped we came home to find our decorative bricks between our garden and theirs (on our side) dug up and dumped in our driveway. No need to have touched our side.
Also wife took "cuttings" of a plant in our front garden (most of the plant) :angry: Just ask!
Anyway, annoying as these things are, nobody died and not worth starting a war over.
Big Lad. :wub:

Sandra6

Veteran
I read an article on this just last week.
You are allowed to prune anything that overhangs your garden, but you are not allowed to chuck the bits back.
The exception is fruit. You're not allowed to pick it even if it grows over your fence.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I read an article on this just last week.
You are allowed to prune anything that overhangs your garden, but you are not allowed to chuck the bits back.
The exception is fruit. You're not allowed to pick it even if it grows over your fence.
I didn't know that, but our apple tree does one year on and one year off (literally no fruit what so ever or far too much for us), so we just tell the neighbour's to help themselves!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A colleague bought a cottage on a hillside above Hebden Bridge. There were lovely views over the Calder Valley from its front garden. There was a small mature tree in his garden and he looked forward to sitting in its shade in the summer, sipping a glass of wine, and enjoying the scenery.

Fat chance - when he went to move in he discovered that his neighbour had carried out a preemptive strike and cut the tree down, apparently because he had never liked it and wasn't going to wait to discuss felling it in case he didn't get his way! Thus began a long-running neighbourly feud ...

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
My neighbour thinks that the evergreen hedge between our gardens is too high at 8ft. If it comes to any legal dispute, I will just dig it up and replace with either a beech hedge, which is deciduous and therefore can be as high as I like, or a bamboo screen, which is counted as grass and can also be left to grow.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Terraced house. Neighbours have ivy on their exterior wall and it's now on my house too. It looks lovely but causes damage to the mortar and is now threatening to get into the eves of the roof.

I asked if I could cut my side back, they said yes. I didn't realise I had to offer it back to them, as it wold have saved me a trip to the recycling centre.

Does anyone else read all of @Moodyman posts in the voice of Mr T in their heads? I just can't help it. Sometimes the subject doesn't match the voice at all.

PK99

Legendary Member
My neighbour thinks that the evergreen hedge between our gardens is too high at 8ft. If it comes to any legal dispute, I will just dig it up and replace with either a beech hedge, which is deciduous and therefore can be as high as I like, or a bamboo screen, which is counted as grass and can also be left to grow.

Bamboo. Will cause you moe problems than the satisfaction it gives.

A black and a golden, both nominally clump forming, caused me no end of problems is my Japanese courtyard. 5m by 6m . 30 plus metres of runner to dig out.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Bamboo. Will cause you moe problems than the satisfaction it gives.

A black and a golden, both nominally clump forming, caused me no end of problems is my Japanese courtyard. 5m by 6m . 30 plus metres of runner to dig out.
It is nice for its gentle screening though.... I go around my clump with a spade each year in the hope I keep it contained. So far it's worked.... Trying to decide whether to start another clump elsewhere or if that would be pushing my luck!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It is nice for its gentle screening though.... I go around my clump with a spade each year in the hope I keep it contained. So far it's worked.... Trying to decide whether to start another clump elsewhere or if that would be pushing my luck!
Plant it (clump forming variety) in a steel bucket or steel trough, that's the only way to stop it spreading.

I believe that Leylandii make a good hedge plant

Plant it (clump forming variety) in a steel bucket or steel trough, that's the only way to stop it spreading.

I have one of these in our front garden.... a large planter, heavy duty enough to lock a bike to

cyclelockwithwildflowers.jpg

Top Bottom