Never in Britain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
We're not coming down, don't care how much you exaggerate!
:wahhey:no exaggeration at all

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Heard this strange noise on my window this morning. I opened my eyes to see what it was: RAIN!! I had forgotten what it sounded like.:laugh:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Jut back from a hol in Spain and Portugal.

Weather was lovely of course but it's a hopeless argument. Britain is where it is in the world and it gets the weather it gets. Nothing we can do to change that. Accept this and make your choices accordingly.
Service. We were in holiday destinations and the service was variable. Occasionally we would get service well beyond that which we would expect in UK. Equally we got service that was far worse than I've experienced in the UK. By and large it was similar to UK which I find to be perfectly acceptable in the vast majority of cases. I certainly wouldn't say that the places we visited had demonstrably better or worse service ethos than the UK

Cubist

Still wavin'
Herosinoss. I strongly recommend it. For a meal out, go to Nicky's, on the sea front, you will be made so welcome! Aristotle, who looks like Telly Savalas, the actor who played Kojac, and his brother, Jimmy , are the owners and great hosts.
I take it you meant Hersonissos? We were about two miles away this year in Analipsi. Old Hersonissos was great... little hill town with loads of places to eat.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I certainly wouldn't say that the places we visited had demonstrably better or worse service ethos than the UK
I think the UK's quite good on the whole - certainly better than it used to be. Generally quite efficient and perfectly (naturally) friendly, without the kind of gushing faux-friendliness you sometimes get overseas. I remember a colleague of mine telling me about going through a checkout in the States with his elderly mother, who was wished a nice day. rather hard of hearing, she said: 'I'm sorry, dear?' To which the till-girl responded with a snarled: 'I said have a nice day - are you deaf?!'

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's not always better abroad, I have been in London for the last 3 days and that is always enough. It's been severely lacking in sunshine for abroad!
In a few hours I will be on the train heading north. Scotland may well be a shitehouse in places, but at least it's a familiar shitehouse and the people are in the main, the best!

Alex H

Legendary Member
2 weeks is great , 2 Months is fantastic, 2 years and you swap one set of problems for the one's you left behind

This ^ most definitely ^_^
When we lived in the UK holidays in France were great. the last 2 weeks in June were always :sun::sun:

However, now we've lived here for 5 years (Tomorrow! ^_^) July and August, when you can get 5 weeks of straight 30°C+ (this year anyway) is proving to be a bit of a pain. No rain, so everything plantwise dies, including the 'lawn', too hot to be outside at all in the afternoon, so cycling, gardening etc is restricted to the mornings.

And it's not as if we live in the South :wacko:

markharry66

Über Member
Lived in Bali for 6 months in the past. You might think its paradise, just remember somewhere you will be different when you lived abroad.
From my own personal experience there are highs and lows to living abroad. Ex pats being one. Some really good others will screw you over to get a few drinks out of you. England itself nothing that great about. Over priced, dull and full of people of the same calibre. Users of this forum excluded of course from a sweeping judgement.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've spent about 4 years of my life living in Spain and France and at least another year knocking around Africa and the Middle East and I know Britain is where I prefer to be. The weather is more more variable, the scenery great, the beer excellent, society pretty well organised and not too corrupt and health care the best in the world. Above all I enjoy the gentle joshing humour of the British.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It's not always better abroad, I have been in London for the last 3 days and that is always enough. It's been severely lacking in sunshine for abroad!
In a few hours I will be on the train heading north. Scotland may well be a shitehouse in places, but at least it's a familiar shitehouse and the people are in the main, the best!
Miss Goodbody loves it in the Trossachs.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Some of you really go on a tangent regarding the topic of this thread. It is NOT about living in the UK, it is about spending 2 weeks holiday in sunny climate which you cannot do over here. That's why I will never take a holiday in the UK as you can't trust the weather. On the other hand, I would be happy with week ends away in the UK but that's all. As for the NHS, I still believe some countries are just as good and may be better. Stop the myth that we have the best in the UK. Same with German cars being the best, just another myth.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I went to Spain once... first three days i saw rain of biblical proportions and then the beach was full of trucks bringing in sand for the next few days as the rain had washed it away. I think Toyota make the best cars these days.

Top Bottom