Never in Britain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
I can't think of a single place that I would want to spend two weeks at in Britain.

Maybe a week in Wales or Cornwall, tops.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
When we were in Barcelona a couple of years ago, the restaurant waiter was so up himself and rude it was laughable.
I ate in a place in Boulogne whose proprietor seemed to have modelled himself on Basil Fawlty. But less funny.

In general though, France, and the French, has/have been lovely.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I can't think of a single place that I would want to spend two weeks at in Britain.

Maybe a week in Wales or Cornwall, tops.
I would like to try a week or two in Cornwall, but when I compare prices of fares from Scotland + accommodation, v guaranteed sunshine in "abroad", there is only one choice.
I find that a bit sad, as Glaswegians faced with the same choice is the very reason why my former home on the Isle of Bute is now a shadow of its former self.

Two weeks in France recently and I was shocked at the price of food in the supermarkets. So shocked I needed to tell you how shocked I was: Shocked and surprised and no local produce either, had to mix it with natives in the markets for local veg. Shocked I was. Not as shocked as Mrs C when she accidentally ordered ducks Gizzard as a starter but still shocked.

gbb

Legendary Member
Two weeks in France recently and I was shocked at the price of food in the supermarkets. So shocked I needed to tell you how shocked I was: Shocked and surprised and no local produce either, had to mix it with natives in the markets for local veg. Shocked I was. Not as shocked as Mrs C when she accidentally ordered ducks Gizzard as a starter but still shocked.
Shocking....:whistle:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Two weeks in France recently and I was shocked...Not as shocked as Mrs C when she accidentally ordered ducks Gizzard as a starter but still shocked.

Ah the Ducks of Gizzard, I loved that programme.

Brandane

Legendary Member
On the whole, service in the UK isn't that bad. I think the whole Basil Fawlty image is somewhat outdated.

I find Parisians to be so far up their own derrieres as to be quite comical. Service in other parts of France I've found variable but, on the whole, good.

I've always found service in Spain - outside of the tourist traps of the Costas - to be excellent.
I was in some poncey café for breakfast in London this morning. The Caffé Concerto in Whitehall. Never before have I come across waiting staff quite so full of themselves. The whole place seemed geared to the more money than sense brigade TBH, and it appeared that it was below them to come and serve a mere cyclist looking for breakfast. When they eventually did come and take my order, without a trace of a smile or friendly interaction of any kind, they later had the cheek to add on a service charge of 12.5%.

Drago

Legendary Member
What I don't understand is that if Britain is so bad to some folk that they would sooner smear their love plums in treacle and sit on an ant hill than spend 2 weeks on holiday here, then how do they bring themselves to spend the other 50 week a year in Blighty?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Maybe they just picked up on the very obvious chip on your shoulder?
Well yes, admittedly I find it hard to disguise my dislike for a certain "type" of person. Best leave it at that. :okay:

Clearly a lot of tripadvisor contributors with a similar chip on their shoulder.

Top Bottom