New Garage/Shed - Concrete or wood ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 4402284, member: 259"]Last time I did a shed I put a toilet in it as well, as it was only a metre from the septic tank. It's a consolation in my old age to watch the runner beans growing from the comfort of the larch lap.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

And having fertilised them, too.

keithmac

Guru
Depending on what you're storing in there the doors could do with a bit of work/ replacing for sturdier items..

Right, it's been ordered and paid for

We're getting a 5meter wide log cabin which gives us a shed room and a normal room.

Going to use the normal room with the turbo and TV

Can't wait

A41251D2-0926-4093-800D-865146971BB9_zpsjxkgf0q9.jpg

526989A1-0348-479F-AC5A-10EED1F58B55_zpstaeos9ct.jpg

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
We're lucky in that the back of the house is very secure. My bike has been in a plastic box for the past few years not locked without issue.

There are also many sheds / garages / offices in gardens in our area that are probably more desirable

keithmac

Guru
Good news!, I'm liberating my 4m x 3m "workshop" that ended up a dumping ground for kids toys and garden tools, lawnmower etc.

It's a metal shed on 500mm thick concrete base, had to strengthen the doors for peace of mind more than anything.

Debating wether to build a brick shed around it then take the metal insides down but to be honest there's nothing wrong with it.

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Well D day is here. The man shed has been delivered, I've had the fence done and prepared where it's going. It's going to be installed on Thursday / Friday

IMG_3698.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_3723.JPG

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Our shed at our old house lasted the 20 years we lived there not looking after it properly. So if it was better than that and looked after properly, I don't see why a wooden structure couldn't last that long.

I don't believe you didn't look after that shed seeing as how much time you're taking on the gate to get it "just right".:whistle:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't believe you didn't look after that shed seeing as how much time you're taking on the gate to get it "just right".:whistle:
I'm currently painting a window sash and shed door.... Both needed a bit of filling and are quite likely the original ones though the bottom of the door has been replaced at some time! We've been here 4 years and they looked in a worse state than the gate so it shows wood can last! Especially with a little care;)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
When has she told you that you've got to move in then. :whistle:

Nice shed BTW.:becool:

TreeHuggery

I'd be looking at a 'log cabin' if I had that much room. As long as it's on a concrete base and is treated and maintained correctly it should last a good 25-30 yrs minimum.
yep -I'd go along with that....make sure you insulate the roof ...only problem that we sometimes have is that because wood moves....we sometimes get a bit of "dribble" come through the doors if it's raining VERY heavily...but happy with ours

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Yup thanks
Both the roof and floor are being insulated.

Between 5 of us there are 7 bikes that need to be stored some how. But the room part we're thinking about having a small TV and a turbo set up for the winter, along with somewhere for the kids to sit and chill out etc

Top Bottom