New to CycleChat? Make your first post here and say HELLO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:hello: Red Rose and :welcome: to CycleChat ! :wahhey:
Hello,.....
..... and have spent many happy (and a fair few uncomfortable) days on a saddle.
.... I've made some good friends
.... and seen much of the world from a bicycle seat.
..... I own more bikes than I need,
.... but love spending time fettling them.
.... I should ride more than I do, but I think many of us can say that.
.... Looking forward to joining in the chat.
I think you will fit in very well indeed ! :biggrin:

Joe Buck

Hello,

So you've signed-up, got your user account, now all you need to do is get posting .... ah, um, er, What do I say?

Well, it's dead easy - just say Hello and tell us a little bit about yourself and whereabouts you're from (so we can invite you along to rides!!)

Believe me, once you get that first post under your belt you'll be off!

My name's Shaun by the way, and I own and operate CycleChat.

If you need any help or advice on using the forums, or want to ask a question but don't want to do it publicly - just send me a PM (private message).

Hope you enjoy, and welcome to CycleChat

Cheers,
Shaun :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello,
As you can see from my user name, I'm from Lancashire and happy to be so. I got my first bike when I was about 10 (a long time ago) and have spent many happy (and a fair few uncomfortable) days on a saddle. I've made some good friends and seen much of the world from a bicycle seat. I own more bikes than I need, but love spending time fettling them. I should ride more than I do, but I think many of us can say that. My latest acquisition is a 1960's Soens frame which I'm debating about restoring or keeping in it's original (if well past its best) condition. I see that Bill Soens is a contributor on here, so hopefully Bill will be able to give me some pointers. It has some Eddie Soens vinyl lettering on the down tube, which I very much doubt is original, but the head tube and seat tube decals look like they've been there for many a long year.

Here's a few photos: the frame doesn't look too bad in the pictures but it has quite a lot of surface rust which needs a bit of sorting out.

Looking forward to joining in the chat.

Leave the frame as it is. Nice patina, lovely lugs!

Joe Buck

Hello to all...

This is my second post on the forum, I have kinda gone the wrong way round and what not. Anyway.

Screen name FelixStarsofsky, real name Oliver. I'm a Royal Marine Commando who has just come back to Afghanistan after 2 weeks R&R with my fiancee in Devon. I didn't leave without doing the typical guy thing and "P" the missis off my spending £330 of our wedding money on a nice shiny new Carrera Gryphon (with bling dics brakes haha) from Halfords. Despite my best efforts to convince her that it was a good move because I was saving £70 all she could manage was that terrifying look only a woman can give a guy that can put a guy well and truly back in his box. Now I am back in Afghanistan, she is probably spending a fortune on shoes and whatever else (some <--- keeping it P.C.) women like to spend thier money on.
I have not actually ridden the bike yet and I have to wait a few months until i leave here to do that, but the thought of it is pure morale! Halfords seems to get a bit of stick from what I have heard but the service i got was ok and although wee lad who initially served me was obviously on his first week of an after school part time job by the way he was causing havoc on the till, the guy who was running the show was very helpful and apart from not paying for the bike itself, could not have done more to help me. Hopefully the bike will not fall to bits on its maiden voyage to the local Co-op.
I intend to use it to commute to and from work whilst getting my daily phys cracked at the same time as well as hairing around on the roads between Taunton and Exeter. On my time off after Afghan, i was thinking about taking a week or so out to cycle from my mums up in Scotland to my home in Devon. I had thought about going the other way but I have it in my head that because I will be cycling south, it will be more downhill that up hill! Silly man I hear you mutter haha!
Well its dinner time over here so I'm away to have some delightful rice and peas. Yum.
Take care, Oliver

surfatwork

Hi, I am fairly new to cycling, but have signed up for a London-Paris charity ride next Sep. At the moment, I am putting in some miles on an old MTB (it served as my commute to the railway station), but its bloody hard work on that old banger. using it mainly to build up some strength and stamina.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hi, I am fairly new to cycling, but have signed up for a London-Paris charity ride next Sep. At the moment, I am putting in some miles on an old MTB (it served as my commute to the railway station), but its bloody hard work on that old banger. using it mainly to build up some strength and stamina.
Don't worry, when you get your road bike it'll be like you've died and gone to heaven!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
on the lookout for an affordabe roadbike.....never ridden one though
A lot of people on here recomend the Triban 3, about £300. You could always go secondhand though and get a less up to date but still very worthwhile bike. All mine are more than twenty years old.

surfatwork

I need the bike to
1. get used to riding a road bike (I have only ridden MTBs and hybrids, never one with a drop bar)
2. train for long distance and long duration cycling
3. ideally use the same bike for my London-Paris charity ride

I think I would prefer to buy a second hand road bike in good condition, may be sub £400. If it is a decent frame, then maybe I could upgrade some of the components (if necessary) for the Paris ride.....that's what I am thinking. Or maybe I could sell the second hand bike when I become a better rider and invest a little more then

Moosh

Regular
Hello,

um, I'm kinda like the chap up there ^^ and posted in another thread first, about getting my first drop handle bike!!! ^_^

Such manners I have, tut tut.

I been on a few long Fnr's and just love them, just not the really chilly winter ones!, and now I want a nice comfy new bike to do the next one I go on.

Luke Tovey

Hey Shaun, Luke here from the Woolly Hat Shop, just want to give people advise and support for their bikes and various products. Love to help people in the world of cycling!

Paull

Hi, just joined and I live in Worcester. I did the C2C this year and am considering the Devon C2C next year. I just wish I had started cycle touring years ago!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hi everyone,

I live in Birmingham and started cycling in to work in about June/July, it's only 7 miles round trip, but after doing it for 4 months on a crappy 2nd hand e-bay bike, I decided to get a Boardman hybrid as I'm not much of a mountain-biker and didn't want to restrict my cycling to perfect surfaces.

I love my new bike and now enjoy cycling leisure time too, it's helping me get very fit.

I did a 30 mile trip last week and found it a lot of fun, (if my bum didn't by the end!) I'm hoping to slowly increase my journeys and do London-Brighton which I understand is very doable, then hopefully holidays/touring in France.

Any tips/advice and especially recommended enjoyable training routes would be gratefully received!

Cheers

Rose

Just to get my post amount up...... Hello!!

*A reply to your post written on the 31st October..... 2011! :laugh:*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom