New to CycleChat? Make your first post here and say HELLO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dekazer

Good afternoon all :smile:

I guess it's all in my profile, but I've joined this forum after a recommendation from the MoneySavingExpert.com forums. I've just signed up for a 500 mile (Edinburgh to London) sponsored ride next June, and yesterday I rode my new bike to work for the first time! I'm here to learn as much as I can about training, gear and kit, and cycling methods.

I'm very much a commuter - I've been cycling the 8mile-each-way to work pretty much every day, year-round, for a couple of years, but never done any long rides. I don't think I've ever ridden more than 10 miles in a single burst! I've been riding a dirt cheap old MTB that my husband bought me in last year's January sales - it finally fell to pieces last week. I estimate it's done about 4,500 miles, so not bad value for money! But it's time to upgrade, so I've bought a Specialized Dolce Sport Equipped 2013 and yesterday was the first time I rode it to work. It's a big change for me, MUCH faster, different riding position, flappy paddle gears etc. My shoulders are aching a fair bit, as are my hands, so I think it needs work on the set up. A colleague has recommended a place locally that did his, so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pay up for a proper fitting.

I'm really looking forward to using this place, benefitting from your collective wisdom, and hopefully (in time) helping encourage and inspire newer riders too. Thanks!

Lucy

ruffers

Veteran
Hi just quick hello,
Signed up last night to cc after reading through some great threads.
New cycling aswell, ride in the bury area of Lancashire.
Best wishes ruffers

Gordon Hunter

Hi all.

From Kelty, Scotland. Just got a new ( to me) hybrid bike.
Over 50 and looking to build up my fitness and get out a bit more.

Will no doubt get some good ideas and advise on here.

Gordon

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Hi all.

From Kelty, Scotland. Just got a new ( to me) hybrid bike.
Over 50 and looking to build up my fitness and get out a bit more.

Will no doubt get some good ideas and advise on here.

Gordon

Welcome Gordon. You will certainly get loads of information and advice on here. Over 50 myself and just got back into cycling end of August. Unfortunately our lovely Scottish weather is putting me off a bit at the moment. Roads around here are in an awful state with mud due to the farming community and roadworks combined.

Bhachgen

Greetings. Mark from Chorley here. Just signed up but been cycling for pretty much all my life. More regularly at some times than others. Been back on the bike pretty seriously for the last couple of years and now looking at a career change from financial services into cycle training.

JamesOn2Wheels

James finally again on 2 wheels...ex moto traveller, after minor stroke demoted to non-motorised.
I just arrived here in Thailand after bike stolen in Mexico...what the heck now I ride a 1985 Diamond Back Apex converetd over..bought bike in LA during layover from Mexico City, shipped free China Eastern Air, and sorted BB, fenders, front bearings, rack and odds n sods here near Chiang Mai for peanuts...been riding around and ready to go next week after i get some extra pages added to my passport...Lao, Cambodia, up to Mongo or down to India unsure as of yet, a journey with no end; no appointments, no disappointments
jameson2wheels over at CGOB and warm showers
from la tierra encantada (new mexico) to somewhere else !

Hello Everybodies! I am back in the saddle after a near thirty year hiatus, my 37-inch gut was my inspiration. Taking it nice and easy for now, but hope to be doing 20 milers by next Summer :smile:

eggsausage

another newbie, hiya from glasgow where motorists are caring and kind.

bob c

Hello everyone,
Im Bob, fairly new to long distance cycling but this year being my first of retirement Ive ridden 2 long european trips, the second from Geneva to Istanbul.
My bike is a riverside 7 and I love it though I am not able to compare it with other touring makes as its my first good one.
If my legs allow it I want to ride north and central America next year and my concern is will my bike with 700 or 28" rims be OK without a trailer full of spares?

dimples

Über Member
Hi all,
I've lurked here for a little while as I was looking for my first road bike to buy. Ended up getting myself a Triban3. I've spotted afew owners on here with the same bike, will get round to posting pictures when I can.
:thumbsup:

Red Rose

Hello,
As you can see from my user name, I'm from Lancashire and happy to be so. I got my first bike when I was about 10 (a long time ago) and have spent many happy (and a fair few uncomfortable) days on a saddle. I've made some good friends and seen much of the world from a bicycle seat. I own more bikes than I need, but love spending time fettling them. I should ride more than I do, but I think many of us can say that. My latest acquisition is a 1960's Soens frame which I'm debating about restoring or keeping in it's original (if well past its best) condition. I see that Bill Soens is a contributor on here, so hopefully Bill will be able to give me some pointers. It has some Eddie Soens vinyl lettering on the down tube, which I very much doubt is original, but the head tube and seat tube decals look like they've been there for many a long year.

Here's a few photos: the frame doesn't look too bad in the pictures but it has quite a lot of surface rust which needs sorting out.

Soensbike003.jpg

Soensbike006.jpg

Soensbike002.jpg

Soensbike004.jpg

Looking forward to joining in the chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom