• A Saturday in Perth

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • A Saturday in Lanark

• A Sunday in Perth

• A Sunday in Lanark

• Anywhere/Anytime - I'm coming riding :)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Giving consideration to the next CC Scotland Forum ride, I was wondering if any of you have seen the book "Phillip's Cycle Tours around Edinburgh and the Scottish Borders", by Nick Cotton ?

There's a good-looking prospect on page 102 "In and out of Clydesdale between Lanark and Biggar", which is 56km, moderate, only a couple of (easy) climbs, nearest station Lanark. I'm not good enough to do the bikely.com or other mapping thing, otherwise I could show you the route ! Absolutely no idea about trains etc but the route is the sort I have been proposing.

No idea about dates yet but the route looks nice :becool:

I've got the book here, I've no idea about trains to Lanark but the route looks nice, its new ground for me :-)

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
HLaB said:
I've got the book here, I've no idea about trains to Lanark but the route looks nice, its new ground for me :-)
Are you masterful enough to do the route on bikely or something ? ;)

scook94

Veteran
Looks like a do-able route. Big hill at the start, but I'm guessing it's no worse than the start of the Tour de Falkirk route from the station up to Hallglen....

Pity it's so far away as I'd have liked to give it a try before any proposed date (just so I don't get any surprises!)

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Yes, distance to start might be an ishoo - it's maybe a bit far south to qualify for a central Scotland ride. :smile:

Pity, as it looks like a nice route - as do quite a few in that book.:smile:

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Are there any other offerings in the book that would be more suitable in terms of distance from Scotland's waistline? Looks good to me too, under an hours drive from Stirling too. Distances won't seem too bad if people car-share to get there.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Yeah train wise it is not good from Edinburgh either, on a Sunday it takes around 3 hours to get there, Saturday is better at between 1hr 15min and 1hr 45min depending on when you start. Shame as it would be a nice change to head south and west...

Any thing nearer to Glasgow? (did I really type that :biggrin: ) Croy??

lazyfatgit

scook94 said:
Looks like a do-able route. Big hill at the start, but I'm guessing it's no worse than the start of the Tour de Falkirk route from the station up to Hallglen....

Pity it's so far away as I'd have liked to give it a try before any proposed date (just so I don't get any surprises!)

The climb out of Kirkfieldbank is a wee bit steep, but can be eased by forking left and folowing Donaldson Cres. this breaks the hill up a bit. Also quieter.

lazyfatgit

scoosh said:
Yes, distance to start might be an ishoo - it's maybe a bit far south to qualify for a central Scotland ride. :laugh:

Pity, as it looks like a nice route - as do quite a few in that book.:laugh:

no, it's still central scotland, Tinto is the highest point in the central lowlands. (707M):blush:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
scoosh said:
Yes, distance to start might be an ishoo - it's maybe a bit far south to qualify for a central Scotland ride. :sad:

Pity, as it looks like a nice route - as do quite a few in that book.:sad:

So what else is there in the book? Maybe we should have a poll giving a choice of rides...

Top Bottom