• A Saturday in Perth

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • A Saturday in Lanark

• A Sunday in Perth

• A Sunday in Lanark

• Anywhere/Anytime - I'm coming riding :)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How about Perth for an origin? I'm just looking at the 'Fast Track to Glen Almond' route from page 78 of the Bike Scotland Book. According to it we can get direct trains from Edinburgh, Glasgow (Q'St), Stirling and Dundee. Its a bit shorter than the last one, 55km and described as:

Get a clean getaway from Perth on cycle tracks before taking to quiet roads for a journey up Glen Almond
Terrain: Level cycle tracks and minor roads

I think its something like this route.

TechMech

HLaB said:
How about Perth for an origin? I'm just looking at the 'Fast Track to Glen Almond' route from page 78 of the Bike Scotland Book. According to it we can get direct trains from Edinburgh, Glasgow (Q'St), Stirling and Dundee. Its a bit shorter than the last one, 55km and described as:

I think its something like this route.

That'll be a heck of a trek to the start of that one for me :biggrin:

Seriously though a couple of things to point out.

1 I'm practically doing this run tomorrow night with Perth Cycle club as they are having an open evening for non members as part of National Bike week. Although the route we're taking (and the one I've ridden before) turns off south on the wee road just past Chapelhill. So could be interesting going that wee bit further. Also nice quiet roads round that way.

2. Another wee tip would be not to follow the cycle route all the way to Almondbank when starting the run. As we're doing tomorrow night, where the cycle path goes under the A9 and the railway you can pop up and cross over and join the cycle path that runs on the right hand side of the A9 all the way to Luncarty before crossing back over the A9 and heading West to Moneydie. I would recommend this as the cycle route from the North Inch to Almondbank is always busy with dog walkers at the weekend.

3. More importantly there is a good beer stop in Pitcairngreen (can be busy though) and I did pass an Inn near or in Chapelhill, but i'm not sure if it was open or not.

Cool, let us know how you get on. I've only done the section on the NCN from Perth station to the A9 (I had some kill before the next train) a few years back from what I can remember it was paved and in good condition. Ive no idea about beyond that. More recently I did a ride to Crieff, Luncarty and crossing the Tay north of Stanely (near Kinclaven) and followed the B8063 it was in good condition and a nice ride.

TechMech

You could easily extend the route like this. This extra top bit is part of a circular route described on the National Cycle Route 77 map.

This route follows quiet unclassified roads once away from Bankfoot and has fine views of the Obney Hills. The Bankfoot run goes out to the foot of Little Glenshee and crosses the Shochie Burn via a ford.

I've also just noticed that listed on the map there is indeed a Chapelhill Inn Restaurant (only at weekends apparently, explains why it looked shut midweek when I went past) and also the Drumtochty Tavern in Harrietfield.

scook94

Veteran
Looks like an excellent option and if we have someone in the pack who has knowledge of the route then so much the better. I'd vote for this route. Just need to pick the date now...?

TechMech

HLaB said:
Cool, let us know how you get on. I've only done the section on the NCN from Perth station to the A9 (I had some kill before the next train) a few years back from what I can remember it was paved and in good condition. Ive no idea about beyond that. More recently I did a ride to Crieff, Luncarty and crossing the Tay north of Stanely (near Kinclaven) and followed the B8063 it was in good condition and a nice ride.

Just after the point where it goes under the A9 and the Railway the tarmac runs out and it turns to hard impacted ground but easily passable. The main problem with this section is that it is very narrow at points, especially when you just enter Almondbank as there's a 200-300 yard section where it's just about a bike width apart with a fence on one side and a drop into the river on the other. Meet a dog walker here and it's backing up time!

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
That route looks pretty nice, not too onerous on the old elevation either. Seeing as that's the case, would it be prudent to suggest we extend it a wee bit? Not too much, just around the 40-45 mile mark assuming we'd be stopping half way round for some nourishment (mine's the scampi & a pint).

Ignore the lengthening suggestion if it'll put off less adventurous amateurs! I think I'm getting ahead of myself, I'll no doubt end up at the back of the pack needing encouragement by the 10 mile mark!

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
scook94 said:
Looks like an excellent option and if we have someone in the pack who has knowledge of the route then so much the better. I'd vote for this route. Just need to pick the date now...?
Hmmmmmmm .... we thought we had this on the last 2 rides ... :ohmy: ... so now is the time for us to get it right :biggrin:

No pressure, then, TechMech :biggrin:

TechMech

eldudino said:
That route looks pretty nice, not too onerous on the old elevation either. Seeing as that's the case, would it be prudent to suggest we extend it a wee bit? Not too much, just around the 40-45 mile mark assuming we'd be stopping half way round for some nourishment (mine's the scampi & a pint).

Ignore the lengthening suggestion if it'll put off less adventurous amateurs! I think I'm getting ahead of myself, I'll no doubt end up at the back of the pack needing encouragement by the 10 mile mark!

This is the extended route I posted a couple of posts back in case you missed it :smile:

It works out about 44 miles and Chapelhill Inn is 22 miles in, bonus! :smile:

TechMech

scoosh said:
Hmmmmmmm .... we thought we had this on the last 2 rides ... :smile: ... so now is the time for us to get it right :smile:

No pressure, then, TechMech :sad:

Nay bother, I know most of the route pretty well. Plus we've got Hlab's GPS to back me up.............OK I'll bring a map :biggrin:

ACS

Legendary Member
I'm up for this. 23 miles warm up from my gaff, quick 43 mile sprint drafting Tech Mech and 23 miles to warm down, nae wuckin' forries.:smile:

OK I'll bring the car.....

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
TechMech said:
This is the extended route I posted a couple of posts back in case you missed it ;)

It works out about 44 miles and Chapelhill Inn is 22 miles in, bonus! :o)

Just googled it... there's a pic of a hog-roast on the 'events' page... I'm 100% for this route!

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
How about a Saturday for a change ? Or is station/Tesco/wherever parking more of an ishoo ?

4 July ?

... and I won't take offence (or a fence) if I am shotted down :smile:

Top Bottom