England : Hampshire Night Ride Around The Coast - 14 March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
14th is OK for me, I'll probably book the day off.

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
We are most definitely not doing the standard round the island route (as the Randonnee does). Apart from the detour we'll be taking down to the Needles, taking advantage of the A roads being much quieter means much better road surfaces on the southern side, plus more actual coastline.

Assuming Stu's happy with the suggestion, the route I'd mentioned way back on page 2 has just over 10 miles along the actual sea walls, and a further 10 miles of "right next to the coast" road, whilst most of the rest of the route is on the roads nearest to the coast. So if anyone gets seasick, you've been warned. However, it looks like on all sea wall stretches, at the times we'd be going around, it would be nearly low tide.

So that should whet rather than wet your appetite, as we're fairly unlikely to get swept off the sea wall..............

Last edited:

velovoice

Veteran
Just looked at the elevation profile again, especially those two big chunks of climbing :eek:... then realised I've done those sections before. Phew! :thumbsup:

Though the 2km climb out of Shanklin is a bit of a b*st*rd.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Just looked at the elevation profile again, especially those two big chunks of climbing :eek:... then realised I've done those sections before. Phew! :thumbsup:

Though the 2km climb out of Shanklin is a bit of a b*st*rd.

Yes, especially the bit where you think you're at the top and start to descend, only to find that it goes up again with a bigger kick than before!

velovoice

Veteran
Yes, especially the bit where you think you're at the top and start to descend, only to find that it goes up again with a bigger kick than before!
I don't remember that. But I'd walked it before I ever cycled it, which may have prevented any False Hope > Dismay mental process.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I've put March 14 in my calendar. When does one have to arrive in Portsmouth to catch the ferry?

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
It's a 23:59 sailing so make sure you're there around 20-30 minutes before.
Indeed so. Final check-in for foot passengers is fifteen minutes before sailing. The car ferry terminal is five minutes ride from the Harbour station.

I did drop the Wayfarers (IOW CTC group) a line inviting them along, but no reply as yet, so I'll assume for the time being we'll be on our own. Further updates and opening of the list to follow in the next few days.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
OK,

Have edited the first post to add the ride date. List now open ladies and gents, please PM or email to get your name on it. To begin with at least, full & affiliate CTC members only, for insurance purposes. I'm intending to do a full recce at the end of the month (when I have three days off work), if anyone fancies joining me for that let me know.

Still no word from the Wayfarers, so please assume the midway stop will be entirely self-catered and alfresco. There will be benches, and bushes available...

Top Bottom