England : Isle of Wight Night Ride Around the Coast 2016 (June 3)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Sorry, I'm out of this one, as I have a workshop on June 4 I don't want to miss.
Unlike, but quite right to pick that!

will be booking ferry and train tickets in the next week or so......whats the bike parking like on the deck have only used DFDS from Newhaven to Dieppe bikes were roped together by the crew is WightLink similar ??

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
will be booking ferry and train tickets in the next week or so......whats the bike parking like on the deck have only used DFDS from Newhaven to Dieppe bikes were roped together by the crew is WightLink similar ??
Absolutely no need to book ferry tickets- there's no advance fare discount (and no return discount if you're not going back across via Fishbourne either, as fares on the cat are higher) and I have never had problems getting on. On the car ferry, bikes usually get rested against the bow doors, naturally we'll be first off. The cat has stands.

Assuming you're getting the ferry from Portsmouth to Fishbourne, you just rest your bike against the side of the boat, usually at the front. Coming back, if you get the catamaran from Ryde, there's specific bike racks, enough for at least 30 bikes, at the back of the boat.

tatr

Ask a local for where to wedge your bike to keep it away from the salt spray. (The further forward the better?)

Absolutely no need to book ferry tickets- there's no advance fare discount (and no return discount if you're not going back across via Fishbourne either, as fares on the cat are higher) and I have never had problems getting on. On the car ferry, bikes usually get rested against the bow doors, naturally we'll be first off. The cat has stands.

Assuming you're getting the ferry from Portsmouth to Fishbourne, you just rest your bike against the side of the boat, usually at the front. Coming back, if you get the catamaran from Ryde, there's specific bike racks, enough for at least 30 bikes, at the back of the boat.

Thanks for replies getting to the can't wait zone now

PaulRide

Always at opposition
I look forward to hearing how the recce goes. I've just booked a ticket from my local station for the princely sum of £5 that gets me to Portsmouth Harbour with an hour to spare before the ferry sails.

I'm undecided about the timing of travel home, but will probably aim to return to the mainland by 4.30 or so on the Saturday afternoon. That should allow some time for food and even a snooze on a bench somewhere. Does anyone know if tickets back to London are likely to massively more expensive if I buy them on arrival at Portsmouth?

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I look forward to hearing how the recce goes. I've just booked a ticket from my local station for the princely sum of £5 that gets me to Portsmouth Harbour with an hour to spare before the ferry sails.

I'm undecided about the timing of travel home, but will probably aim to return to the mainland by 4.30 or so on the Saturday afternoon. That should allow some time for food and even a snooze on a bench somewhere. Does anyone know if tickets back to London are likely to massively more expensive if I buy them on arrival at Portsmouth?
Neither Portsmouth Harbour or Southsea are big stations so I think the ticket offices are shut around 7pm, so you'd be left with what the machines have to offer, which isn't much. Best wait until the journey home unless you can get another advance discount.

Top Bottom