England : Isle of Wight Night Ride Around the Coast 2016 (June 3)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That was a productive day. After returning, a morning nap (that's a rare one after an FNR, don't usually get back till late morning/early afternoon), lunch and a bit of TV, then I went out for another thirty miles, thus bringing the Eddington number into triple figures. And night recce done. In the event I don't get two recces done before The Real Thing, the night was far more important to get done, hence electing to do it in this week I had off.

Weather forecasts proved accurate. Fairly mild- fingerless mitts for the first time this year on an overnight, dry, and not too blowy (helpful enough going west on the south side, without being too much work as head/cross wind).
The good news: Island Roads have done some resurfacing on the route.
The bad news: On Firestone Copse Road, right at the start, and most of the rest remains in exactly the same state. There will be many, many calls of 'hole'.

Didn't bother with the Needles, as usual on a recce. Rest of the intended route remains, as in previous years, variable from excellent (in a few places) to an exercise in hole-dodging (far too many). Once I was out of Ryde the traffic was minimal- more drunken peds than cars. Ryde Tesco retains 24-hour opening, and there will be no problems for food choice there (in view of current numbers & silence from over the water I'm assuming the Legion won't be opening up). Blackgang car park again the best alfresco stop option, and it should be first light when we get there in June. Military Road still glorious (only my third fastest time for that stretch, a mere 14.8 mph average!).

One of the chain ferry staff asked if I was still doing the Randonnee :wacko: Fare is still the same, extortionate 40p. Made it back round to Wetherspoons 0725, large breakfast hit the spot nicely. After the exertions of the century I completed after the recce last year (7,500 ft of climbing...!!!) I declined to do the same this time, might next month just to get the century a month done and dusted. Wightlink ticket machines were down (as they were in Pompey last night) so a bit of queing ensued, but no bother getting on the cat in time.

Though it was dry, the eeny-meany choice of the Litespeed over the Viner proved correct, despite the mudguards there was a fair bit of grot on the bike. As in previous years, nothing that's not OK with 23/25mm tyres- Sunshine Trail is gravel but of the well packed variety- but you'll probably spend more time dodging potholes than I did on 35s.

Oh, and it's still hilly.....

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Bumpy.
In their infinite wisdom Winchester City Council have just dumped me from the Cyclefest Crit, so I'm now free to ride this. All that EPO has got to get out of my system somehow.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm afraid I've moved from a possible to an unlikely as I need to schedule some up north time. Have a great ride. I will make it to the IoW one day

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Right,
An updated list of interested parties....
Phil B (from t'other place)
Mark A (no doubt aiming for Strava KOMs on the Military Road...)
@PaulRide
@Bollo
@Shadow
@Fab Foodie
@tatr (please confirm one way or another)
@JoeyB (ditto)
@Eddie_C
@User482

Any more for any more?
Reminders/additional info:
For those of you getting trains to my home town, you want Portsmouth Harbour station (yes, you could get off at Portsmouth & Southsea or Fratton but do yourselves a favour and keep it simple). Way to the ferry terminal is very simple: Leave the station, turn right, straight on at the junction under the railway, then a right turn at the junction after that (there is a signpost), terminal just along on the right hand side. You're following the Gunwharf Quays wall round, basically. It's about half a mile all in. Last check-in is 2344. I'll be back home from work about 2220, will head down at about 2300.

The halfway will be the car park at the summit of Blackgang (not the roundabout down the other side!!) in self-supported style. We'll be stopping at the 24hr Tesco on the outskirts of Ryde, no problems with stocks of sandwiches etc (and the loos open and clean). McDonalds nearby also open 24hrs. If you want to buy in Pompey instead, there are multiple Tesco Express/Sainsbury's Local/etc options in town. There is a Greggs on the ferry, however this was shut when I went over for the recce (hopefully this was an exception rather than a new rule, it was open last year). There is, quite literally, nothing else open on the Island until morning. Breakfast plan is Wetherspoons in Ryde, they open at seven and we're highly unlikely to be early- I made it back round there at 7.25 on the recce, and I didn't go down to the Needles (as in previous years, that will be optional, I'll take a straw poll at Freshwater). The catamaran is a short ride downhill (!) away on the end of the pier. Fishbourne car ferry terminal four not-flat miles back west.

Eddie_C

Über Member
Thanks Stu
As before, I'll join you at Fishbourne but this year I'll probably stay with the ride for breakfast.
Eddie

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'm planning to get there about 23:10 so see you at the terminal.

Always with the roundabout!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Now we're closer to the day, the forecast is looking overcast but dry and mild with very light winds. Anyone who's ever ridden the south coast stretch in wet and windy weather will know how much this matters.

U

User482

Sorry @StuAff but I'm going to bail: I simply can't fit in all my family commitments this weekend as well as the ride.

Top Bottom