England : West Midlands Night ride from Birmingham to Rollright Stones - 14th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kimble

Veteran
I seem to be de-facto organising this one over in the Other Place.

A more than slightly derivative overnight ride from Birmingham to the Rollright Stones in Oxfordshire:

IMG_20120903_182747.sized.jpg

Meet at 23:30 in the main concourse of New Street station. We'll be following the Rea Valley cycle route to King's Norton, then climbing Primrose Hill and taking to the lanes. Halfway stop at the 24hr Tesco in Stratford-upon-Avon, then ride to the stones for sunrise. Continue to Banbury for breakfast and and abundance of trains.

108km of mostly rolling terrain, with two major climbs and a couple of flat bits. Good lighting and non-skittery tyres recommended.

Route map
GPX download

More info and canonical who's coming list on the other thread.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Another month, and il'd be up for this, and the cycle down to London.. as it does look good!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Then again... *checks diary, train fares, journey home.. ponders, brain ticks into I havent done anything silly for a while mode*...

£8 single fares to Brum....

Any other CC'ers doing/up for this? And of course, the Smrbtl?

martint235

Dog on a bike
So your (Davy) plan is to get a train to Brum, cycle overnight to Banbury then cycle from Banbury to London on the Saturday? I'm to lazy to look up the actual mileage (and kms mean nothing to me), someone let me know?

Also are we looking at FNRttC speeds to Banbury?

OP
OP
kimble

kimble

Veteran

More or less. Well, less rather than more, as it's more hilly than a typical FNRttC. I anticipate the cycle route out of Birmingham could be a bit faffy, too - it's flat and hasn't got too many stupid obstructions (you can do it all on a Trice with a couple of 5-point turns), but there are an assortment of toucan crossings and blind corners, so you don't really get to maintain cruising speed.

From Brum it's 52 miles to the Stones (if I were going to London, I'd probably leave the group and head for Oxford at that point), 66 miles to Banbury.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
So your (Davy) plan is to get a train to Brum, cycle overnight to Banbury then cycle from Banbury to London on the Saturday? I'm to lazy to look up the actual mileage (and kms mean nothing to me), someone let me know?

About 70ish miles to London...

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I have to admit it's tempting. I'll think about it while I'm cycling to Southwold

Tickets are currently £8.... And, am very tempted.. I would be on the Super Galaxy However, which, is style over speed..

rb58

Enigma
I'm leading a ride out from my gym that weekend, so I don't think I could do this. Also, I'm not sure whether my ankle will be properly fixed enough for a long ride. Sorry.

martint235

Dog on a bike
My mind still hasn't made itself up, however Lelly has made the decision as the back wheel needs some urgent attention. Lots of clicking noises that shouldn't be clicking so I'm out as the LBS does it's work. :sad: Sorry

Hmmm.... would be good as first ride but think the triban tyres would be "skittery" so poss better on my hybrid, however its further than i've been for donkeys years so must try the route myself and come along next time i think.

OP
OP
kimble

kimble

Veteran
So, any definite takers?

The forecast's looking mostly clear with nothing substantial in the way of wind. Probably down to 8C or so, so I think I'll be leaving the sandals at home. Due to bad planning, this one doesn't have a stonking great hill immediately after the halfway stop to warm you up, so you may want an extra layer for 4am.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I hope you have a good ride. I get Lelly back tomorrow.

West of London and everywhere in that direction is a place I've not done a great deal of riding (apart from Stonehenge/Wootton Bassett) and so will definitely find a way of riding out there soon.

Top Bottom