England : West Midlands Night ride from Birmingham to Rollright Stones - 14th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, any definite takers?

The forecast's looking mostly clear with nothing substantial in the way of wind. Probably down to 8C or so, so I think I'll be leaving the sandals at home. Due to bad planning, this one doesn't have a stonking great hill immediately after the halfway stop to warm you up, so you may want an extra layer for 4am.
not got lights etc on my triban but could use my hybrid if you think its suitable, but not done a ride like this for #0 years hmmmm :-/

OP
OP
kimble

kimble

Veteran
Well I certainly wouldn't hesitate to do a lumpy 100k night ride on a hybrid - indeed, I've done several FNRttCs that way. Given who's coming I'm not anticipating any speed records.

I'll be on my sturdy touring recumbent, as per usual. It makes my hybrid look lightweight (but obviously has something of a comfort and aero advantage) :smile:

I'm generally of the "it's not about the bike" philosophy: Anything goes as long as it's in good mechanical condition, and the rider feels up to doing the distance on it. I also appreciate that that probably doesn't answer your question...

OP
OP
kimble

kimble

Veteran
Consensus seems to be that this one was small but perfectly formed. There were only 5 of us in the end, and one only for the ride out of Birmingham, on account of a chest infection.

The weather was cool and clear, with a fantastic sky being a major feature - we stopped in the middle of nowhere and turned all our lights off for a few minutes to admire it. We went hours without seeing motor vehicles, other than the odd shaft of headlights on a distant hill. Tesco was well-lit but lacking in warmth, and there were comedy drunks for entertainment. The hill at Long Compton was a proper hill, but nobody had trouble getting up it. Nobody danced naked round the stones, I counted the same number multiple times and Tom Baker didn't appear. The ride into Banbury featured some excellent value-for-money descending. Weatherspoons did what it said on the tin (and turned out to have somewhere sensible to park bikes at the back). Trains were abundant and only very slightly delayed. I didn't fall asleep and end up in Yorkshire.

Andrew has some photos here.

I think due to popular demand I'll be doing this one again next year. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom