Night Ride London to Brighton, 5th Sept - NOW CLOSED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
After a bit of sharp elbowed cajoling on today's ride. I am a tentative for this if there's still room, as not working Saturday. Might join after Tooting but Ditchling will probably be walked! If the sleep deprivation has knock on effects re health, I'll bail at Gatwick but will confirm.
sure thing, you're most welcome. I'll post the GPS track of our route soon

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

Fair enough, but one can't stop one tagging along, it is after all the public highway.

My concern is about numbers and complexity. I was surprised by the big interested in the ride and don't want to lead a ride with 80 or 100 people, particularly not with Gatwick Airport as a halfway stop, where the security staff can get techy and paranoid. 30-ish seems like a much more mangeable number. But since a few people have already said they are out, you're more than welcome to join, @CarlP

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Fair enough, but one can't stop one tagging along, it is after all the public highway.
It'd be interesting to see. @dellzeqq has stopped riders being part of the group, I've seen this on a Brighton ride. An uninsured rider, with no third party liability, would be a real liability to a leader and as a ride participant I'd fully back every effort by a leader to prevent someone riding in the group. This means they'd be riding behind the group - so the "all up man" would be in front of them and there would be no waymarkers. On a ride in the dark, in unfamiliar territory...... and what if there is a visit from the puncture fairy? Any group I was leading would simply drop the miscreant.
So, in effect, it might be more difficult than it seems to simply "tag along". And if @redfalo, or any other ride leader, said someone who simply turned up on the night and tried to"tag along" wasn't part of the ride, I suspect they'd have a very lonely trip.
An interesting point thobut.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It'd be interesting to see. @dellzeqq has stopped riders being part of the group, I've seen this on a Brighton ride. An uninsured rider, with no third party liability, would be a real liability to a leader and as a ride participant I'd fully back every effort by a leader to prevent someone riding in the group. This means they'd be riding behind the group - so the "all up man" would be in front of them and there would be no waymarkers. On a ride in the dark, in unfamiliar territory...... and what if there is a visit from the puncture fairy? Any group I was leading would simply drop the miscreant.
So, in effect, it might be more difficult than it seems to simply "tag along". And if @redfalo, or any other ride leader, said someone who simply turned up on the night and tried to"tag along" wasn't part of the ride, I suspect they'd have a very lonely trip.
An interesting point thobut.

It's happened more the once.

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

Here's the updated list. You all should have received a PM as well.

StuAff
IanRauk
Wanda2010
Adamski
Adrian
Martint235
User13710
HorTs
JoeyB
TimHall
ClivedB
CharlieB
Eddie_C
MrOrange
Liam68
velovoice
IanMac
Zee
McWobble
Kimble
AKA Bob
Hatler + minis
Flying Dodo
sagefly
Mistral
PeteXXX
slowmotion
w00hoo_Kent
Dawn_C
BromyG
ttcycle
Trickedem
David P
Anne M

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
pump in the spokes.

I have dissuaded people from 'tagging along'. The deal with the FNRttC is that we know who's on the ride and that everybody on the ride has third party insurance. That way if (heaven forfend) there's a crash caused not by a failing on my part (which would be covered by the organiser's insurance) but by a failing on the part of one of the riders then the person injured would have some recourse.

The other thing is this - managing a ride of whatever size is tricky. We've had rides from 4 to nigh on 400, and putting people through a learning process beforehand and sorting out the arrangements for the night takes time and effort. Ask yourself this - why would you bother running a ride that relied on co-operation between all the people on the ride, and, in particular, the help of people like Olaf and Ian if people just turned up and put the other riders and your insurance policy at risk?

Last edited:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
@ianrauk at the back with baby wipes??
that's a special service for which you should be paying extra

martint235

Dog on a bike
No rain in the forecast. So I'll be in shorts and s/s top. Will have a lightweight waterproof with me and may or may not bring arm warmers.

Top Bottom