NIGHT RIDES! Abingdon to London (100k) and Abingdon-London-Abingdon (160k) Friday 24th October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
FRIDAY 24th OCTOBER: NIGHT RIDES!
Not one but 2 routes for your delectation!

Both will depart at Midnight from AMS. Please convene at 11.30 latest for ride register a brief safety talk.

If you’ve never experienced the joy, freedom, otherworldliness and camaraderie of riding through the night - just for the hell of it … here's 2 options

Option 1: The shorter of the 2 routes is almost the ‘Classic’ Friday night route to London route. 65 genteel miles at conversational pace from Abingdon Market Square to Paulos Café in Acton for one of the best fried breakfasts a little money can buy. Paulos doesn’t open until 6am so there is no rush. The route takes us over Sires hill to Wallingford, Benson and then out for the climb of Chinnor hill (as seen on the TOB). Form there a lovely descent down into the valley at High Wycombe where easy and quick miles take us to Beaconsfield Services for food, drink and warmth. Replete we’ll seek the charms of Potkin and Welders Lane, the Chalfonts, the canoe slalom course, Northolt, Ealing and the Uxbridge road - destination Acton.

Return for Oxforshire peeps via Coach (£15 Cash) or gently ride back via Option 2 route for a lunchtime beer in Abingdon. London peeps ... you're on your own!

Option 2: This is a new idea; ALA or Abingdon-London-Abingdon!
A slightly pacier 100 mile ride (15 mph). The outbound route sets out the same as option 1 with a food stop again at Beaconsfield Services …. but once inside the M25 heads south and loops round west again to return via Windsor (and another food stop), Henley, Checkendon, on to Wallingford and finishing at the Narrows in Abingdon for brekkie and beer at around 8 to 9 am!

Be amongst the first to ride this new 100 mile (160k) event! A 200k version is planned for the spring!

In case of adverse weather check here on the Friday morning for a Go/No Go

IMPORTANT:

• This is a 'mates' ride. You participate at your own risk.
  • Experienced riders only
  • Be aware that your body feels colder as it gets tired and that it’s essential to bring more layers than you might think. Coming out of the services at 4am feels bitter, but with layers you’ll soon warm-up.
  • Bring back-up lighting rig front and rear
  • Bring batteries for more than 7 hours of darkness
  • Enjoy.
FF

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Bump!
Well time is short and diaries get full :-)
Any interest?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'd like to do a rerun at some point- with my working hours, I'd need leave in order to make the start in time. Hope it doesn't rain ;)

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I'm tempted by option 1.....might be a last minute decision, work interferes with play.
I have the same issues ... let me know ASAP!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

A great night out!

A heady mix of Abingdon Freewheelers, Abingdon OTCC, Didcot Phoenix - mattc and PAC of yacf and EatSleepRideRepeat from this parish who ventured from west Wales to participate!

Tom C
Kevin TR
John B
Tim S
Matt C yacf/Didcot
Roy OTCC

Ross M
Ben
David V
Gregg K
PAC (yacf)

ESRR (CC)

Having never done 2 rides setting off together it was a little experimental. Certainly the whole group pace was higher than usual on the route out to Beaconsfield services which apart from a P*ncture and a derailleur cable coming loose was fun and mostly uneventful. Ross was swooped by an Owl, Badgers were unobserved, the dogs of Chinnor hill howled not one jot and the sky was beautifully bright with stars. Intermittent fog added to the atmosphere and adjustments in layers.
The services - refurbed since our last visit, now contain a plethora of eateries and is a jolly good stop allowing bikes inside.

At this point the rides split. The fast 100 (those in bold) zoomed off into the darkness ahead of the more genteel paced crew to Paulos.
MrTomEC will have to take-up the story of their return loop via Windsor, Henley and finishing at the Weatherspoons in Abingdon fro brekkie and beer at around 9am - a magnificent effort and I think a ride which will become embedded in our calendar.
100 crew.jpg

Team 100 miler ^^^

Team Paulos also made good progress without incident and with bonhomie aplenty. Potkin, Welders, Joiners, the bus shelter on the green all played their part as expected under clear skies. A little cold though I have to say. We still moved apace as a good group and about a mile from the cafe encountered scenes of utter chaos! The road was littered with bin bags, rubbish and myriad of those large bread crates scattered around all over the road. Plenty glass too.
Paulo was just having his breakfast we we arrived at 0610, but welcomed us with warmth, springing into action to get hot tea on the table and fire-up the pan for the usual excellent brekkie. Certainly the earliest I had ever arrived and in fact it was still dark as we said our goodbyes to Ross, Ben and ESRR and Tim, John B and I headed for the warmth of the coach back to Oxford. I think the higher than usual pace (14mph), the dark and the cold dampened our enthusiasm for a gentle 60 miles back to Abingdon. We alighted at the Park & Ride and rode 5 miles home via Sandford lock ... I chanced by the Wetherspoons just in time to see the 100 mile crew finishing their beers ... so after offering refills (none required), I beer'd myself and we discussed the events.

Yes a good experiment and a great night out. The pacy 100 will stick I'm sure and I think we might try to differentiate the rides to the cafe. into more experienced and more newbie/less experienced rides in the spring. But they will continue ... the pacy 100 particularly as a great 'locals' ride (btw - thanks for andyoxon and MrTomEC for creating this) in the new season.

From Tom and me, thanks for those that rode, sorry some couldn't make it - but we'll have other chances.
The Bath beckons!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Sounds really great FF, well done. And this is an interesting demonstration that it's possible to organise a 'mates ride' in a relatively short time and with a minimum of fuss and faffage. I'll watch out for future rides.
You'd be most welcome! Like a Swan and a FNRttC there's a lot of paddling under the water!
I'm trying to build a local core of 'Night Riding expertise and enthusiasm' I don't know where I got the idea from but it seems a good one :whistle:

Anyhow, I have 3 goals in 'cycling' this coming season ....
  • Greater interaction between local clubs - there's so much potential for fun! Barriers need breaking. Night rides are good for this, they're non-partisan.
  • Get a Friday stylee Night Ride from Londinium and elsewhere to our Cycle Festival (am waiting for date confirmation)
  • Ride more Audax
Anyhow, I'll keep promoting here. It's not about numbers per se, it's about generating a wider and more tolerant cycling community. If we build it, they will come.

Top Bottom