England : Northumberland Northumberland April ride

Which date is best for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
*UPDATE: 2nd April: Hi folks... not a lot of interest in this it seems, and my life/dates/bikes are problematic at the mo, so will abandon the idea this time...maybe another time... cheers all :sad::smile:

Here we go folks, as first mentioned in the caff section, I've come up with the following idea:
  • Start and Finish at Rothbury car park
  • 50 miles, hilly
  • Av speed prob'ly 13-15 mph, nobody to be dropped, re-grouping at hill tops/junctions.
  • Rothbury/Thropton/Cartington/Whittingham/Netherton/Alwinton/Harbottle/Billsmoor/Elsdon (Cafe stop here at the Impromptu Cafe, about 32 miles in)/Winter's Gibbet/Rothley Crossroads/Forestburn Gate/Lordenshaws and Simonside/Tosson/back to Rothbury.
  • Possible bail out points: 16 miles in (via High Trewitt and Snitter), also at B6341 junction before we head up Billsmoor (26 miles in) and also B6342 )(45 miles in) if you don't want to do climb up to Simonside.
  • NB: The ride in very remote country with barely any facilities en route, apart from the caff at Elsdon, and shops/caffs in Rothbury. It is your responsibility to make sure that your bicycle is in safe working order. Riding in a group is a potentially hazardous activity and you recognise this and accept the risk of doing so. By taking part in this ride you agree that you will not take legal action against the ride organiser or other riders if an accident occurs on the ride.
THE ROUTE IS NOW ON BIKELY: LINK BELOW:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/fnaar-s-cc-forum-rothbury-ride

Have attached gpx file for those that can do summat with it.
Have put poll at the top for April/May dates. (I can only do weekend days). Not actually sure myself yet which are best for me, but I guess the best way to do it is the democratic way... most popular date wins.

I will cycle to Rothbury and back, adding 34 miles or so to my total for the day :smile:

CC forum Rothbury.jpg

Attachments

• cc-forum-rothbury.gpx
    161.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It looks good, but I know from experience that offering a range of dates opens a can of worms! :thumbsup:

You will probably end up with equal numbers of people choosing different dates, so you will end up having to choose anyway, but having been asked, all those who chose different dates will feel rejected!

I think it is best to choose a date to suit yourself and then everybody knows where they stand.

I would like to cycle in that area one day, but that won't be in the next couple of years.

I hope you get a good turnout and have a great ride. :hello:

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It looks good, but I know from experience that offering a range of dates opens a can of worms! :thumbsup:

You will probably end up with equal numbers of people choosing different dates, so you will end up having to choose anyway, but having been asked, all those who chose different dates will feel rejected!

I think it is best to choose a date to suit yourself and then everybody knows where they stand.

I would like to cycle in that area one day, but that won't be in the next couple of years.

I hope you get a good turnout and have a great ride. :hello:
Cheers, thanks @ColinJ I know you have organised forum rides, so I may well be asking your advice in the coming weeks :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
[QUOTE 2990754, member: 9609"]Good choice of route, I nearly suggested last night a circuit of Harwood Forest.
I will give this one a miss, I like 7 hours for a 50miler (like to take it easy and take in the sights) so I am way out of your league speed wise. Enjoy it though[/QUOTE]
Could be any old speed, to be honest... will go to the speed of the slowest rider :thumbsup:
Mine was just a guesstimate based on my usual speed.
[edit] and we've ridden together once @User9609, and are pretty well matched, I'd say. :thumbsup:

nappadang

Über Member
50 hilly miles? :eek: I've only been riding a few months. That's way out of my league but I'd still be interested in popping along for the craic.

AndyRM

XOXO
Weekend of the 12th or 26th is my vote fella. Appreciate the time and effort you've put into organising it.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'd really really like to do this but the presentation to Mrs Dr Bollo did not go well - imagine 8 Ace explaining to Mrs Ace where her £1.49 for baby milk went. it was a long shot anyway. Ahrm oot. Have a top ride all.

Top Bottom