ColinJ's Guide to Planning A Forum Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Banjo just PMd me to ask about tips for organising forum rides and I thought it would make a good subject for a thread.

I've organised a lot of forum rides now so I have developed my own system which seems to work because old faces keep turning up for more, and I get a steady stream of newcomers. So, if you fancy organising your own ride and would like a few tips, read on. (If you don't or wouldn't, don't! ;))

The first thing to say is that there might be some legal ramifications if someone gets hurt on a ride organised by you. I don't know what the legal situation is if no money changes hands. I'd like to think that the law is sensible enough to treat a forum ride the same as a bunch of mates meeting up for a ride, but perhaps a ride organiser has some legal responsibility for the safety of the other riders. I worried about it the first few times, and then stopped worrying.

If it really bothers you, then perhaps it would be better to leave ride organisation to someone else. If it worries you slightly, then include a disclaimer at the beginning of the first post of each ride thread that you start. "It is your responsibility to make sure that your bicycle is in safe working order. Riding in a group is a potentially hazardous activity and you recognise this and accept the risk of doing so. By taking part in this ride you agree that you will not take legal action against the ride organiser or other riders if an accident occurs on the ride." That kind of thing. It might not stand up in court, but it might give you some peace of mind!

The first thing to decide is what kind of ride you want it to be. You can't have a ride which is hard enough to appeal to Cat 2 racers as a training ride, and also to people who want to potter round a few villages and call in at the local pencil museum cafe for coffee and cake!

I tend to plan my forum rides around my level of fitness. Obviously I don't plan super-hard rides that I'm not fit enough to complete. I haven't organised any easy rides yet but I'm thinking of organising some one day to appeal to less fit forum members who do fancy pottering around a few villages. The only trouble is that I'm surrounded by big hills so easy routes away from busy roads are hard to find!

I think most forum rides tend not to be super-hard because the kind of rider who would want one of those is probably already an active member of a cycling club. I aim my rides at people who want fairly challenging social rides in nice countryside.

I've found Sundays tend to attract more riders than Saturdays. It's best to try and avoid clashing with local sportives and audaxes if you can.

I'm not fit enough to ride fast on my hilly routes so I always emphasise that to encourage other slow coaches to turn out, and to let faster riders know what to expect.

We did end up splitting into two groups after 60 miles last Sunday because the faster riders didn't have lights and wanted to crack on, but on shorter rides we always stick together.

Some riders have had bad experiences on competitive club rides and get really worried about being dropped. I always make a point of saying that the average speed on my rides is that of the slowest rider. Fast climbers are free to test themselves on climbs but they have to wait at the summits for everyone to catch up.

45-55 miles seems to be about right for a challenging hilly forum ride. That's hard enough to be satisfying for most of the fitter riders, who often clock up extra miles to and from ride 'HQ', manageable for less fit riders such as me, and really hard, but still doable for many riders who haven't quite managed that kind of ride before. It's very pleasing to see the look on their faces when they get to the end of the ride. (A strange combination of 'Thank God that is over!' and 'Wow- I did it!' ;))

I also arrange hilly rides of 30-40 miles for people who fancy something a bit easier.

Generally, people like at least one good cafe stop. On a 50 mile ride, I'd try and plan it to be after about 30 miles. If you are on a one-stop strategy, if you can possibly help it don't make it before the halfway point - it's not good for the head!

If the ride is significantly longer, perhaps have a shorter stop at the 1/3 point and a longer one after 2/3 of the total distance.

Try and make the start of the ride somewhere where people can park cheaply, and preferably where they have a choice of coming in by train. Remember that Sunday rail timetables are often limited so plan your start time to fit in with the trains. Link to a map showing where to meet up. It's good if there are shops, toilets and a cafe near the meeting place in case anybody arrives early and needs them. In fact, be aware of the potential need for shops and toilets on the ride and try and go through a few villages which have them!

Put your routes up online for people to look at. I use Bikely, but any of the online mapping sites will do as long as they are free to use. Make sure that the site allows the route to be exported as a GPX file for people to load onto their GPS units if they have them.

If your route is hilly, it's nice to mention what kind of hills to expect, especially any significantly steep climbs or descents.

I do my level best to avoid big towns and busy roads. If you can't, at least make sure that you avoid dangerous roads.

If you haven't ridden the entire route before, check it against OS maps. Online mapping sites often show ancient rights of way as roads! If you don't have the paper maps, you can view them online at MultiMap.
Oh - one thing I haven't succeeded at is attracting many female CycleChat members to my rides so I'd particularly like advice on how to achieve that. I know that there are far more men on this site than women, but I'm sure that the women are under-represented.

I know that the severity of my rides may be a factor (PS sorry for any offence that remark might have caused!), and a natural hesitation about riding off into the middle of nowhere with a bunch of male strangers could also be a worry, but I think if you asked the women who have been on my rides how they were treated, they'd say that their ride partners were 'perfect gentlemen' and we all had a good laugh together.

I have had over 50 CycleChat members turn out on my rides and I haven't met anyone I don't like yet so I'd say - get stuck in and try and organise your own rides!

Okay, that's all I can think of for now. Any other suggestions for would-be forum ride planners?

----+++++ New suggestions added below #1 +++++----

(Actually - this not just about planning a ride, it is also about what to do when you are out on one!)

The first post about the ride is where people should go to read the details so keep it up to date. I've tried doing it post-by-post and people do not repeatedly read all the way through the thread and will just keep asking the same questions. (They are probably busy with real life or something!) If the answer is in the first post, tell them to read the first post. If it isn't - add it to the first post and then tell them to go there!

Maintain a couple of lists in the first post - those definitely coming on the ride and those who might be coming.

You may be asked to exchange phone numbers with riders. Decide if you want to do that. Exchange numbers by PM not in the ride thread (unless you want every internet weirdo to know your mobile number!)

Think about bailout options. The weather may turn horrible. Some riders may run out of energy or have mechanical problems. Try and allow for a shortcut back if possible, or perhaps access to a useful railway station. (I had to catch a train back from Blackpool on one forum ride when my back wheel got buggered.)

You might like to consider a ride with 2 or even 3 loops from the start point with a cafe stop at the end of each loop. That gives riders the option of starting with you and riding 1, 2 or all 3 loops.

Encourage suggestions about your route and be flexible. (Ajay pointed out that Bonds of Elswick were situated close to my recent century route so I redirected it to put an ice cream stop in after 25 miles!)

Take photos on the ride and write a nice ride report afterwards including the pictures. Other riders will read that and see what a nice bunch of people you ride with and want to join you for the next ride.

Don't start all your rides from the same place. You will eventually start repeating all your favourite routes. Some of mine start from Hebden Bridge, some from Whalley, and I have a couple of other ideas too. Variety is fun. Moving the start point 20 or 30 miles also brings you into a new 'catchment area'.

Seek out nice scenery or places of historical interest.

Once you get beyond 8 or 9 riders, keeping track of them on the road gets harder. Ideally you'd have at least 2 riders who know the route or who have it loaded into their GPS units. Get one to ride at the front of the group and one at the back.
Make it clear that each rider should be responsible for their own bike and repairs. By all means help out, but people turning up without spares or tools is a pain!

Unless you particularly want to organise a forum chain-gang ride (in which case you should say so), it should be absolutely forbidden for people to go to the front and deliberately blow people away. That is not what I call a sociable forum ride. It will probably happen by accident, just call 'em back, or if it is you doing it - slow down!

If you have a long descent and your next turn is anywhere other than at the bottom - tell everybody before you begin to descend! You don't want people having to climb back up the hill because they went a mile past the junction! Ideally, you'd descend in front of everyone else and show them the way, but that depends on the descending prowess of those taking part.
----+++++ New suggestions added below #2 +++++----

Try and say hello to everyone on the ride but make a special point of introducing yourself to newcomers. I always feel a bit awkward standing around talking in the car park at the start so I tend to arrive pretty close to the start time. I really ought to get there earlier but I'm very sluggish in the morning. I'm never fully awake until we have been riding for an hour or so.

Check the forum thread for messages just before you set off. And check your phonen if you've given your number out. If you have given your number, have your phone switched on and with you!

Take a list of who is coming so you don't accidentally set off without someone.

Some people will turn up unannounced so try not to leave much before the official starting time. Rammylad surprised us on the last forum ride but he got to the start in good time. Crimmey turned up for a ride in 2009 just as we were leaving the car park! After that, I emphasised that last-minute riders would be wise to arrive early to make sure they didn't miss us.

Steve H

Large Member
Nice post Colin.

Worthy of a sticky in my opinion.

I'd also add that the friendly write up of the ride after the event with the inclusion of a few photographs showing that it was real people on the ride rather than ultra-thin racers on 3oz bikes made me feel a lot more comfortable about signing up for my first forum ride with you.

Oh - and of course if you really want to attract the hot chicks onto the ride - just post a few more photos of me and my stunning good looks. Should do the trick.
whistling.gif

lukesdad

The promise of beer allways seems to be a good enticement, down this neck of the woods Colin. Nice post by the way.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Oh - one thing I haven't succeeded at is attracting many female CycleChat members to my rides so I'd particularly like advice on how to achieve that. I know that there are far more men on this site than women, but I'm sure that the women are under-represented.

I know that the severity of my rides may be a factor, and a natural hesitation about riding off into the middle of nowhere with a bunch of male strangers could also be a worry, but I think if you asked the women who have been on my rides how they were treated, they'd say that their ride partners were 'perfect gentlemen' and we all had a good laugh together.

Just saying that I've been tempted by a couple of your rides, but a combination of weather forecasts, me not being in the area that weekend, and having to drive 50 miles or so to the start have put me off. If there was a ride starting from the Preston area (or similar - I live in Carnforth), I'd be up for it if the date was right.

(Steve H - I don't think I count as a hot chick, sadly!)

PpPete

Legendary Member
Excellent post Colin & thank you. Especially useful as I'm in process of putting together my first forum ride.

Do you rely on people getting details of the route from Bikely and then sticking together as a bunch ? Although my ride is fairly flat, and deliberately going to be gentle paced, I'm worried that as "leader" I may not know if people are falling off the back, (or just as likely faster riders who cannot stand pottering at my pace wanting to go off the front) so I'm producing an audax style routesheet so as to keep everybody on track and enable "regrouping" at refreshment stops along the way. This is probably more important in the complex lanes of the South than in the wilds of the Pennines.

I'm also including details of "shortcuts" and "bail-out points" at stations etc, for any riders who are, for whatever reason, unable to complete the full round. This might one to add to the main list ?

theclaud

Openly Marxist

Ask them. Directly, I mean. It's the difference between being invited to a party and just hearing that it's going on. I had been following the fortunes of the FNRttC a while before I gave it a go. And I gave it a go because Dellzeqq said something along the lines of "I expect you to be on the Genteel Ride, tc". It hadn't occurred to me that anyone might give a monkey's whether I was there or not. I'm currently pestering about three CCers to do their first FNRttC, simply because I'd like to meet them and I think they'll enjoy it.

I don't really get all the stuff about routes. If I'm leading a ride or out on my own I'll worry about all that stuff - if it's someone else's ride I'll just follow them, and it's nice to abdicate responsibility. Drop a few tantalising hints and leave it at that.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend

I know that the severity of my rides may be a factor, and a natural hesitation about riding off into the middle of nowhere with a bunch of male strangers could also be a worry, but I think if you asked the women who have been on my rides how they were treated, they'd say that their ride partners were 'perfect gentlemen' and we all had a good laugh together.

I don't think assuming it's the severity of the rides is going to get you very far. I know you mean well, but personally I find that rather patronising and would be less likely to go on a ride if I thought that people already on it were of the opinion they were going to have to make allowances for me being a woman. It's off-putting.

There are far fewer ladies than men on the forum. Partly it will be a geographical limitation. I haven't been on your rides because I live in Edinburgh and it's a bloody long way to come for a bike ride. Partly it will be a commitment thing. Partly it will be a combination of availability and physical fitness at the time of the ride. Mostly it's probably just population sizes. If you look at the number of male forum members and think about how many of them come on your rides, then look at a what a similar proportion of female members would be, then very low numbers should perhaps not be that surprising.

To reiterate what TC said, if you'd like some ladies on your rides, identify the ones who are in the area then ask them. Maybe they just need a bit of gentle encouragement or flexibility with timing -- this may be the Century of the Fruitbat but childcare is often still a mainly female responsibility.

For what it's worth, I would have come by now if I were close enough.

Sam

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'd also add that the friendly write up of the ride after the event with the inclusion of a few photographs showing that it was real people on the ride rather than ultra-thin racers on 3oz bikes made me feel a lot more comfortable about signing up for my first forum ride with you.
That's a good point. We always have a chat about the rides before we do them and it is nice to see the photos afterwards. I'm pleased that potsy is taking snaps on our rides now so I don't have to keep stopping and taking my camera out.

Oh - and of course if you really want to attract the hot chicks onto the ride - just post a few more photos of me and my stunning good looks. Should do the trick.
whistling.gif
Well, it would help of course, except that I suspect that a lot of women might be put right off at any hint that a forum ride was some sort of mobile dating agency! (Having said that, one couple did meet up on a local forum ride and now have a baby to show for it! ;))

The promise of beer allways seems to be a good enticement, down this neck of the woods Colin. Nice post by the way.
Beer is nice, but most people on my rides are either riding a long way home again afterwards or driving so we don't tend to do that. Mind you, longers wants to do a ride to a local brewery to do their tour and when we do that, we'll sample some of their products!

Just saying that I've been tempted by a couple of your rides, but a combination of weather forecasts, me not being in the area that weekend, and having to drive 50 miles or so to the start have put me off. If there was a ride starting from the Preston area (or similar - I live in Carnforth), I'd be up for it if the date was right.
Well, I suppose it would be as easy for most of the people who drive or ride here for my rides to go somewhere nearer to you instead and it would open up possibilities for interesting new routes. I don't drive but local CC member tubbycyclist has been kind enough to offer me a lift a couple of times. If he is up for a longer drive, I'll plan something.

Fiona N wants to do a long ride into the Dales and back from Oxenholme in the summer. That would be ideal for you if you fancied doing 200 km. I'm not fit enough to do that kind of ride at the moment, but there is time to build up to it.

Do you rely on people getting details of the route from Bikely and then sticking together as a bunch ? Although my ride is fairly flat, and deliberately going to be gentle paced, I'm worried that as "leader" I may not know if people are falling off the back, (or just as likely faster riders who cannot stand pottering at my pace wanting to go off the front) so I'm producing an audax style routesheet so as to keep everybody on track and enable "regrouping" at refreshment stops along the way. This is probably more important in the complex lanes of the South than in the wilds of the Pennines.
I put the routes on Bikely because people asked me to do that. Some have GPS units on their bikes too and they like to have the routes programmed in. Svendo, for example, has been riding over from Rochdale to do some of my recent forum rides. He is a very fit lad and allows himself a bit of a lie-in on the Sunday morning, gets up a bit later and then sets off in pursuit of us. He knows exactly what route we are taking and catches up with us 10 or 15 miles into the ride. He has a good fast start to his ride, then he rides at our slow pace when he catches us, and presumably he is back up to warp speed on the way home to Rochdale once he says goodbye.

Groups naturally spread out along the road, but that isn't a problem as long as the front riders aren't too far from the ones at the rear and they don't ride past any junctions! If there is a choice of where to go, the people at the front should stop and wait for the others to catch up - even if a rider at the front knows the way.

You don't want the slowest riders feeling guilty because they feel that they are holding everyone up. If the fast riders are riding miles ahead of you then they should have done their own ride. I like to ride fast too when I'm fit enough to do so, but if I want to do that I'll make a point of saying what average speed I'm aiming for when arranging the ride. I'm pretty sure that the turnout would be much lower if I said we were aiming to do hilly rides at 15+ mph average speed! I don't think it would be right for a forum ride to keep splitting into different bunches only getting together at cafe stops!

On last Sunday's forum ride to the coast, we stuck together until after the cafe stop but it was becoming obvious that the pace of the ride was even slower than anticipated. The slower riders couldn't speed up, and the faster riders needed to get back so we divided into two groups. That is one of the few times it has happened on my rides, but it was the longest one I've organised (101 miles).

The route sheet idea might be handy in case anybody does get lost but you should be aiming to keep track of people. I have the phone numbers of many people who come on my rides and have occasionally had to contact them and ask why they have gone ahead, guessed which way to go at a junction, and chosen the wrong way!

I'm also including details of "shortcuts" and "bail-out points" at stations etc, for any riders who are, for whatever reason, unable to complete the full round. This might one to add to the main list ?
Ah yes! I built in a bailout option on Sunday. It was a century ride but it was possible to catch a train back to the start from Blackpool at the halfway point. (Nobody did bail out on that occasion, but the last time we rode to Blackpool I broke a rear spoke and had to come home on the train.)

I've done figure-of-8 forum rides from Hebden Bridge. On one such ride, we did a hilly 35 loop to start with and some riders were happy to do just that. We had a cafe stop back in town, and then a few riders came out with me to do another hilly 29 miles loop. That's quite a good arrangement because we all did the first part of the ride together and those doing only that didn't have to find their own way back. I think PaulB was on one of those rides and had intended to do both loops but had bike problems so he was able to stop at the end of loop one.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Fiona N wants to do a long ride into the Dales and back from Oxenholme in the summer. That would be ideal for you if you fancied doing 200 km. I'm not fit enough to do that kind of ride at the moment, but there is time to build up to it.

Gulp...

101 miles is my max so far - but if the dates fit it might be worth giving it a go! I'll definitely need to work up to it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

All sensible points. About the only thing I would add, is that once you get more than 10 or so, perhaps get someone who knows the route or has GPS, to stick at the back, to ensure any stragglers don't get lost.
We were doing that on Sunday. I was often at the back and tubbycyclist at the front. I knew he had the route on his GPS so I didn't feel the need to be at the front all the time. Sometimes he'd drift towards the back and I'd make an effort to get to the front.

It was the first time on a ride that I thought about the organisation involved in the FNRTTC. 10 riders was getting to the limit of me being able to keep everyone in sight and there were a couple of times when riders got separated; in the diversions in Blackpool centre, for example.

zacklaws

Guru
It was the first time on a ride that I thought about the organisation involved in the FNRTTC. 10 riders was getting to the limit of me being able to keep everyone in sight and there were a couple of times when riders got separated; in the diversions in Blackpool centre, for example.

Perhaps with living in the hills Colin, you have trace's of "sheepdog" in your blood and have a natural trait to round people up. Now I know when I see you stopped by the road side with your tounge hanging out, panting furiously and your eyes wide open looking round, you not tired at all but your excited with the chase and rounding everybody up and ready to go again.

Beside that, an excellent thread, how about a printable flowchart.

Top Bottom