ColinJ's Guide to Planning A Forum Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This year will be the fifth year of running the Dumb Run. So far we may be looking at a record number of riders this year.

Eight.

Is it because it's an overnighter? Is it because it's 115 miles? Is it because most of us ride fixed, even though it's not a requirement? Is it because it's in Scotland?

Is it because I don't publicise it enough, or because I am adamant about it being self-supported, not even an organised feed stop (I don't want to be held publicly liable)?

I don't know. Maybe all or none of these things.

It's still a good ride though, and we're still doing it.

Sam
I think eight is a reasonable number for a ride like that. It's quite long, it's overnight and it is in Scotland.

Long rides are great if you are fit enough to do them and have the time. Many people aren't or don't.

Scotland is fantastic but it is a long way from the rest of the UK. I'd be reluctant to travel that far for one ride. I said that to Banjo about his Welsh rides. When I can afford it, I'll start doing cycling weeks in Scotland or Wales timed to fit in with such rides.

My only experiences with night riding have been when it was very cold and I was knackered so I don't have positive memories about them, but I'm sure that a mid-summer night ride in Scotland with only a few hours of darkness would be a different experience altogether.

Keep doing the Dumb Runs and I'll make it up there for one eventually!

potsy

Rambler
If he did mean me, which I'm pretty sure he did, I chose to rise above it Colin and not sink to his level :tongue:
If he meant you then :laugh: though you could always say you were staying at the back to keep an eye on any stragglers, oh that's right there weren't any ;)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

If he did mean me, which I'm pretty sure he did, I chose to rise above it Colin and not sink to his level :tongue:
Not that there is anything wrong with being a woman! And being called one when you are not one is in fact an honorary title to be treasured. :whistle:

If he meant you then :laugh: though you could always say you were staying at the back to keep an eye on any stragglers, oh that's right there weren't any ;)
I was back there just-in-case!

You will recall though, that when there was work to be done rushing to catch the ferry at Fleetwood, I went to the front of the group and rode at 20 mph into that swirling cross-wind off the sea to give you shelter? :thumbsup:

(This now provides you with a prime opportunity to repost one of your pictures and mention exactly how wide that mobile windbreak was! Tell you what - I'll do it for you!)

index.php

potsy

Rambler
Not that there is anything wrong with being a woman! And being called one when you are not one is in fact an honorary title to be treasured. :whistle:

I was back there just-in-case!

You will recall though, that when there was work to be done rushing to catch the ferry at Fleetwood, I went to the front of the group and rode at 20 mph into that swirling cross-wind off the sea to give you shelter? :thumbsup:

(This now provides you with a prime opportunity to repost one of your pictures and mention exactly how wide that mobile windbreak was! Tell you what - I'll do it for you!)

index.php

Perfect example of how unselfish you are Colin, and as you can tell I have to be near the back to take the photos :whistle:
I do particularly like the 'Little and Large' picture, at least you're not the only 'Big one' in shot :biggrin:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
hm well colin does put a lot of effort into his rides. Most importantly he does a map and profile so you know exactly what you are getting into. Other things he does is respond to queries, help with train timings and on the ride does not and would not, no matter how fit he was, burn off the less strong or half-wheel them. I think lots of people are put off joining a ride (any ride) for fear that they will be mocked/dropped/ignored.

Is that Frustruck, or is it an incredible avatar/christian-name coincidence?

:hello:

Christopher

Über Member
hi tc!
Yes it is me - Admin kindly changed my username at my request. I was feeling embarassed by it. It was the street name where my best friend lived when we were about 5.

hopefully at the next fnrttc I can say more than "hello" to everyone. I've asked dell if i can come along, not confirmed yet.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Great write up. Having organised a few rides myself, one thing is we never / ever drop someone - if the group breaks up on the flat then the front slows down. On hills, then the faster riders wait near/or at the top of the climb (weather depending - i.e. just before - so not exposed). It's not a club run...i.e. if you get blown out the back then tough... it's a social ride.

50/60 miles is the optimum for all levels.... We have a big mix of ability/experience on the rides - cafe stop is essential. I'm happy to pass on cake. but beans on toast/egg butty oh yeh.......... Dan_bo found the best cafe in some little town over the moors near Cubist's patch (over t'hill near Huddersfield-ish)... cafe radar... !

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes it is me - Admin kindly changed my username at my request. I was feeling embarassed by it. It was the street name where my best friend lived when we were about 5.
And it reminds me of something else to add to the list - try and remember who has been on your rides before! It was a bit embarrassing forgetting you and having you talking to me on our second ride and me thinking "This chap seems familiar but who is he!" :blush:

It is getting quite difficult now the number of my CycleChat co-riders is well up in the 50s. I remember the people I that I see regularly, but the ones I only met once and then don't see again for 2 or 3 years are not so easy to remember.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
So far i have been on three CC forum rides and i cannot get enough ! Only time and family commitments decide which ones i ride along.I never thought i would enjoy group riding in any form and the extra worry of meeting people you have only ever spoken to on the tinternet can be daunting to most people but thankfully i have not had an issue with anyone i have ridden with.
CC is a brilliant group and has no snobbery when it comes down to different levels of cyclists and long may it continue in it's wonderful form.
Keep up the good work all those who organise these rides ( you know who you are ! ) And anyone who has reservations about coming along on any of these rides please do come along,they are brilliant and everyone will make you feel welcome and WILL NOT LEAVE ANYONE BEHIND !!!!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
hi tc!

hopefully at the next fnrttc I can say more than "hello" to everyone. I've asked dell if i can come along, not confirmed yet.
you have pm......

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Did say i wouldnt bother again after lots of on line interest then just the 2 of us turning on the rides ,

the only well supported one was the Gower ride with about 6 of us organized by Lukes Dad and The Claude. I just wondered what Colins secret of success is ,I think as Colin said its a distance thing, distance travelling to the event not distance cycling which can allways be tailored to suit those that turned up.

With the summer coming on maybe its worth another go.

Banjo - I enjoyed the Gower ride we did, and meeting you all, and would certainly be interested in doing more. I've been following the rides you've been doing with LD - just been unable to make it for one reason or another. One of the things about the FNRttC is that the dates are in the diary well in advance. What with weekends away, non-cyclists having the nerve to visit on the ones I'm at home, and me working in the pub on Saturday evenings, it just doesn't leave a lot of proper free weekend days for long rides. Just spotted LD's post on the other thread, and I think that now that the clocks have gone forward there'll be a bit more potential for weekday evenings. There are plenty of days when I could get anywhere on the Swansea-Cardiff line by about 6:30 if I get out of work sharpish. We don't have the same advantages as somewhere more populous or central when it comes to new recruits, but I reckon the way forward is to go anyway, even if it's sometimes just the three of us. I think people will gradually join in, even if it's not in spectacular numbers. What I'm driving at is that I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Anyway, I'm toying with a Swansea City Heights ride for the next Gower festival, and have been bimbling about after work going up and down hills in parts of Swansea, er... not generally associated with sightseeing. It's great - after living here 14 years I've only just found out how to get to the ruin of Morris Castle, which is so striking as you come in by train.

2723907651_42276b7e8c.jpg

Anyway, if we get any nice weather next week or thereafter I'm going to do some more of this kind of thing in the evenings. You are welcome to join me - shortish but very hilly rides - we could add a pub at the end and hatch some more S Wales forum ride plans...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
hi tc!

IIRC you gave us chocolate brownies as well. :smile: The Manchester one? See you there.

Top Bottom