Not enough sleep?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Time management, do you do it well?
Not sure I do. My biggest gripe is cooking tea. I cycle home, get in about 6, then spend ages cooking a meal, 5 mins eating it, and then the rest of the evening cleaning up the mess, and the following day the whole ritual starts again, along with anything else that has crept up along the way.........

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Are you cooking for a family ? TBH you can be cooked and cleaned up within an hour.

My sleep is shocking but is pain related. I found the ride would wake me up but not sure how that's going to be when I do return to work as I will be driving instead.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Are you cooking for a family ? TBH you can be cooked and cleaned up within an hour.

My sleep is shocking but is pain related. I found the ride would wake me up but not sure how that's going to be when I do return to work as I will be driving instead.
Just cooking for myself:eek:

That`s why I`m now going down the lazy road and buying sarnies in Lidl on the way home.................

sanddancer

I`m wondering............

I have a busy job, and as a result, I try to make the evenings as long as possible, so more often than not I am retiring to bed at about 1am, only to be awoken by the alarm (bastard thing LOL!) at 6.10am. I cycle to work too which is 23 miles round trip, but I always look tired and drawn, with "bags" under my eyes.

Am I staying up too late? If so what is a good time to call it a day? So many people have told me I look "run down" lately, and it`s starting to make me think..............

I am a terrible sleeper. Or more a terrible getting upperer :biggrin:

my shift pattern doesn't help, I work 12hr shifts, 4 on 6 off , 2 days 2 nights.

my alarm goes off at 06:07 for days or 05:45 if I'm cycling. Last block I did two extra nights, and my sleep pattern went all to pot for the next 4 days to the point I got up late on my last day off then could not sleep at all that night before work the next day :sad:
I am regularly still awake until 2 or 3am before work days. And suffer from bags and black circles under the eyes. :sad:

I do the same as you and watch tv or surf the net in bed which is supposed to be a no no.
Try to go to bed relaxed and just to sleep.
eating late can be bad.
If the mrs is working afternoons etc I try and get them chinese ready meals from tesco, in the plastic containers 3 for £6 , chow mein, sweet n sour etc. Or the bag ones from asda, 2 for £5 thai sweet chilli beef noodles is nice :smile: you could try them for a change from sarnies ;) bung em in the fridge .

I need to be tired to sleep and even then my mind can be racing and I can struggle.
the mrs can just close her eyes and thats it,

which is annoying :biggrin:

alicat

Legendary Member
^^^ What @summerdays and @sanddancer say. If you can shorten the time in the kitchen by batch cooking or getting more efficient/less ambitious, you can relax a bit then go to bed at midnight. Then after a week bring it forward half an hour. Repeat until you know in yourself that you are getting enough sleep.

For my part I try to spend most of my time at home relaxing with bursts of 'doing jobs'. I need notice when visitors are coming round but It reminds me I am a human being not a human doing. I get to bed at 11 for a 6.30 start. I wake up early at the weekend and think whoopee - it's my weekend, make the most of it.

@sanddancer - glad I don't have to do shifts.

screenman

Legendary Member
Eating rubbish and wonder why sleep is a problem, it would certainly effect me.

Lidl sandwiches, come on it was only recently I worked out the microwave was not a tv that only showed cookery programs but even I can knock a healthy sarnie together.

Pick up a pencil and paper and draw for 10 minutes instead of tv or internet.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are you continually tired? If yes, then you need more sleep. If no, that's fine.
It's not as simple as that. Mentally, I can survive on much less sleep without feeling tired, but before long, the body starts falling to bits.

I agree that Styrofoam sandwiches doesn't sound like a step forwards. As well as the make double and freeze/chill idea, look for quick but healthy meals for weekdays. That Jamie Oliver did a book full, if you like his style.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
There seems to be organic indicators of low mood.....change in sleep, change of eating habits, change in motivation, others noticing a blunt affect and physical changes. Tbh it sounds like possible overtraining type symptoms/fatigue. I reckon if you carry on you'll end up breaking.

Sleep is crucial for the amount of riding you do and how busy your life is. Google sleep hygiene and blue wave light and how it interrupts the circadian rhythm.

Top Bottom