Not enough sleep?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cuberider

Über Member
The last 3 shifts have been 4.00 a.m or 5.00 a.m alarms and its impossible to get enough sleep as I cant get to bed before 10.00 p.m.

I find it difficult to concentrate without 7-8 hrs sleep.

vickster

Legendary Member
You should be able to easily cook, eat and clear up a healthy meal for one in under an hour

Count yourself lucky you don't have young kids and a full time job like some of my friends/colleagues (I am myself glad)

Why do you struggle to keep up with your house? You say you have plenty of money, why not us some of it to pay for handyman/decorator/cleaner/gardener or whatever is required?

As mentioned, it could also be other concerns or stresses in life contributing to lack of quality sleep

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I`m wondering............

I have a busy job, and as a result, I try to make the evenings as long as possible, so more often than not I am retiring to bed at about 1am, only to be awoken by the alarm (bastard thing LOL!) at 6.10am. I cycle to work too which is 23 miles round trip, but I always look tired and drawn, with "bags" under my eyes.

Am I staying up too late? If so what is a good time to call it a day? So many people have told me I look "run down" lately, and it`s starting to make me think..............
Pretty much the same as me.

I resent going to bed at 10.00, when most often I only get in from work at about 8.00. It's not a fear of missing out but a resentment of feeling like I work more then I don't.

I tend to hit the sack around 12-1.00 too and have done for decades.

Also,if I try to sleep earlier, I find that I am still too awake (only getting home two hours earlier) and toss and turn , sometime getting an hour or two sleep.

Best to go to bed tired and ready than early and fail.

Having said all that...it's not right, I need to train myself to get more than 5 hours sleep, it's not good for me and I know it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd stay up later given a choice, but my wife likes to be asleep by 11, and with two teenagers it isn't easy. You can cook up a pasta dish or stir fry in less than 30 minutes.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I`m wondering............

I have a busy job, and as a result, I try to make the evenings as long as possible, so more often than not I am retiring to bed at about 1am, only to be awoken by the alarm (bastard thing LOL!) at 6.10am. I cycle to work too which is 23 miles round trip, but I always look tired and drawn, with "bags" under my eyes.

Am I staying up too late? If so what is a good time to call it a day? So many people have told me I look "run down" lately, and it`s starting to make me think..............

Pretty much the same as me.

I resent going to bed at 10.00, when most often I only get in from work at about 8.00. It's not a fear of missing out but a resentment of feeling like I work more then I don't.

I tend to hit the sack around 12-1.00 too and have done for decades.

Also,if I try to sleep earlier, I find that I am still too awake (only getting home two hours earlier) and toss and turn , sometime getting an hour or two sleep.

Best to go to bed tired and ready than early and fail.

Having said all that...it's not right, I need to train myself to get more than 5 hours sleep, it's not good for me and I know it.

It's up to you guys but I would be looking at my work / job versus homelife, I have been in the same situation many years ago where I was working 60 hours a week and if the workload demanded it I would do the extra 12 hour shift taking me to 72 hours. It destroyed my home life and my first marriage, we had more money than we could spend , a new car, holidays twice a year BUT no home life during the working week which had a very negative effect on my marriage.
You are ok in the respect you are single but you still need to look at your diet and sleep pattern, a good diet is essential to a healthy active lifestyle as is quality of sleep, maybe make some changes to a healthier diet and a little more sleep?

Julia9054

Guru
Make a big pot of mince ragu on Sunday night. Day 1, have some on spaghetti - takes 10 mins to prepare. Day 2, buy pre prepared mashed potato (£1 from Lidl) spoon it on top, 30 mins in oven - Shepherds pie. Day 3, add kidney beans and chilli powder, bung in oven for 45 mins, cook some rice - chilli con carne.

When I sleep badly, last night being a good example, I may be OK mentally the next day but physically I feel far less able. Even this mornings wee dog walk felt a bit of a strain. On the other hand I feel absolutely splendiferous after a good nights sleep.

Julia9054

Guru
I too struggle to go to bed at a sensible time. In the holidays when my body clock gets to do its own thing, I go to bed about 1am and wake up at around 8.30 - 9. (One reason why I've never joined a cycling club - they all set off too early!) During the week, I have to force myself to go to bed before midnight even though I know I'm going to feel rubbish the next day. I guess I'm just not very grown up!

pclay

Veteran
Eat plenty of fruit, no cooking required. Or try overnight oats, no cooking required. Or cook something simple, like beans on toast, or pasta with sauce.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Or cook something simple, like beans on toast, or pasta with sauce.
Processed sauces :thumbsdown: Fry a diced onion and green pepper in generous olive oil for five minutes. Add paprika (smoked if possible). Stir through. Add a pound (well, I'm hungry) of coarsely chipped tomatoes and cook on fairly high heat, stirring so it doesn't stick. Cook dried pasta according to pack instructions, drain and mix into the tomato sofrito. If you like, add anchovies or rocket at the last minute, or scramble an egg in it a few minutes before the pasta's ready, or mess this about as much as you like.

Col5632

Guru
Buy the lean in 15 book, it's one of the best things we have bought, quick and easy meals which can all be prepared in 1 day and frozen to have all the other days. As for sleep it's not the amount you get its the quality, 10-6 is much better than 12-8 even though they are both 8 hours, your body basically shuts down around 10pm and that's when you should go to bed. I'm saying all this but I pretty much stay up till 1 most nights, up at half 7 and on the bike to work for 9.

sanddancer

@sanddancer - glad I don't have to do shifts.

the time off and the extra money is good though

I only work 12 days or less a month and the rest are my own.

This time of the year is worst for me, I suffer a bit of SADS with the short days. Not as bad this winter with the mild weather though.

If i get decent kip for my two day shifts It helps ;)

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Promethazine Hydrachloride (Brand name Phenargen or weaker is night nurse) is indicated for a sedative effect and I know a lot of colleagues use it when rotating on/off nights. It's an anti-histamine. Just follow the instructions on the Patient Information Leaflet inside.

Top Bottom